Question about 27 ft CrossRoads TT with one roof air please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Max Lambert

My wife and I have been in search of another TT.  We found a one owner 2016 CrossRoads Longhorn 27 RL.  It has one roof air, 15000 BTU.  It is on a consignment lot so we are not dealing with the owner directly.

As much as we like this clean unit and the price is fair, my concern is the one roof air.  I have owned 3 other units and all had 2 roof airs but only 13000 BTU's.  Is 15000 BTU's that big of a difference or enough to adequately cool a 27 foot TT?  My other units were over 33 feet and one 40 feet.  Just have no frame of reference with this kind of issue.

Thanks in advance.

Max

Regardless, you can probably add another roof air if deemed necessary (perhaps a smaller BTU output) as they all fit into the vent openings that are 14"x14". Running the 120V wire to that outlet might take some ingenuity but it can be done. Some may already have the additional wiring in place (like mine does).

Thanks for the reply, I have thought about doing just that if need be.  Being winter here in Texas it will be difficult to know if this is an issue until next summer.

This unit does have 50 amp service which surprised me so adding more to the electrical load will not be an issue.

Our trailer is about the same size and has a similarly-sized slide. With a 13,500 btu ducted roof A/C it works pretty hard in Austin, TX in July and in the Florida Summer, but it gets the job done well enough on low fan speed.
If it had 15,000 btu I think it would be easy sailing.
Note: We're floridians, so an indoor temp of 75-77 is comfortably cool for us. IF I were still a Pennsylvanian I'd probably want to push the temp down to 72, adn my A/C might occasionally have trouble getting there, but could do it most of the time.

I have a 33 foot fiver with one roof-ducted A/C. I have no clue as to what size it is but I live in central Florida year round and it keeps me just as cool as I want to be. Never uncomfortable.

I appreciate the replies.  I am going to investigate tomorrow what it would take to add another air conditioner.  I have had to replace them before ( with the wiring in place of course ) and it doesn't break the bank but not pocket change either.

Running the wiring will be another story but perhaps feasible without incredible expense.  Except for the airconditioner concern, this TT is really what we have been looking for.  Used, clean, kept inside and a fair price well within our budget for such.

And I agree, in Texas heat, you will want two units...

SeilerBird,

Do you know how many BTU's your one roof air has?  Nevermind, I reread your post and you already stated you don't know.

Check the entrance panel and see if there is a second breaker for the second AC. Like someone said, it may already be pre-wired. You could also look at the ceiling right next to where it would go. You may see a blank cover over an outlet box. That would be for the wiring. Where you have a 50 Amp RV, one AC would be on one leg and the other AC would most likely be on the other leg.

If possible, find out if it is pre wired for the 2nd A/C.  If it is, GO FOR IT!!  You can add a second unit IF you need it.

Have you considered a window unit?  Does the sleeper portion of the TT have a door? 
My house has central air but sometimes I want one room colder than the rest (for comfortable sleeping).  I use a window unit in that room.

We had a Salem Hemisphere 272RLIS with opposing slides and one 15,000 btu a/c unit. In Delaware with temps in the high 90's, direct sun, and very humidity and dew points, the a/c had no problems keeping us cool.

Back
Top Bottom