Towing Flat behind motorhome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gilligan004

What are the best cars to tow flat these days! We have been away from rving for a few years and things change.
Hope someone can help me out!  Gil

To determine the best tow vehicle requires information such as your current or desired RV, intended purpose and ball park budget. I use a Ford Fiesta hatchback SE with Demco tow plate because I want to flat tow an everyday car with automatic  transmission under 2800 pounds so I can explore and not drive my RV. If weight or budget isn't an issue and you like back country excursions in Alaska or sand dune racing n Michigan, you just need to determine if it's better to tow, rent or both.

http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php 

The Remco site will tell you what cars can be towed 4 down or what needs to be done to them to make them towable if possible.

Do you currently have a car that you would like to tow?  Check it out on Remco.

Another factor in the choice of toad is the towing capacity of your motorhome. We have articles in our forum Library (button in the menu above) that can help with that; If you need more help, let us know something about your motorhome.

Honda CRV is a popular choice.  I tow a 206 and it does great.  I'm looking for a Chev Colorado 4wd or GMC Canyon 4wd becuase I need a vehicle that will handle more weight than my CRV.  However, again, CRV tows like you don't even know it's back there.

be careful in using the dinghy guide as they often do not update information and you need to do independent research before final purchase.  Ford had rated several models with automatic trannies "flat towable" and they were not. happens with other makes and models too

I have a 2016 CRV and have yet to determine if I can tow 4 down.  Based on the owner's manual it says the transmission is not designed for long-haul towing.  Has someone successfully towed a 2016?

We tow a 2014 Cadillac SRX.  Lucky in that we owned the SRX b4 the MH.  Turned out to be one the easiest setups I've seen.  Not sure how many other GM vehicles follow that design though.  Pull up behind the MH, place in park and turn off, attach the tow bar and electrical umbilical, back in the car, lift the shift boot, depress a pin and move shifter to neutral.  Done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom