LP Detector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grashley

I am due to replace my LP detector. I need a simple flush mount LP only detector.  Looking at Saf-T-Alert units, I find a mind boggling array of choices, LP only, LP + CO, Surface mount, flush mount, black, white. brown, etc. etc.  Trying to deconvolute this mess,  it seems in the 20  30  40  series, the (first number) is a particular size / shape.  Second number of -0- indicated LP only.  Second number of -5- is LP + CO.  Another number denotes surface or flush mount.  However, there are at least 3 different    white    flush mount    LP only    detectors. 

Do all of these detectors use the same technology, simply in a different case, or are there differences in the technology?
Are there other brands I should be looking at?

Your expertise is greatly appreciated.

I think some of the Safe-T Alert models have a propane cut off Solenoid, and some don't (note the old CCI solenoids are not compatible with the Safe-T Alert detectors, they used a lower voltage and will burn out if connected to a Safe-T Alert detectors that supports a solenoid valve)

LP is heavier than air, so the detectors are mounted down in step wells and similar areas which are suitable for LP, but may do a poor job finding CO.

The vapor density of CO is very close to ambient air, so the height of the detector isn't really important. CO detectors need to be mounted in an area with good air circulation, so combination detectors are normally a poor choice.

I would remove the existing LP detector and measure the opening. That should provide the information needed to find a replacement.

The units with the shut off valves are higher model numbers - 60 or 70 series.  I am NOT looking at those.

I agree with the CO comments.  My current detector is LP only, and my new one will also be LP only.  I just replaced smoke and CO detectors this summer.

Is the technology the same in all 20-, 30-, and 40- series models?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom