Norcold N811 fridge not cooling, even though propane gas is working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onlinefun

It recently got down to about 0 degrees Fahrenheit outside, so the first thing I though was the ammonia had gelled, but I put a light in behind the fridge, and it's reasonably warm.  Besides the service people here never get orders for fridge pipe heating kits, so I doubt thats the problem.

If I set to gas or electric, both lights seem to indicate it's working fine, however, neither the fridge or freezer are working. They are cold, but I assume it's from outside.

Normally i run on electric, so I turned on propane and can see the perfect blue flame on, but still doesnt seem to cool.

I checked the outlet where the fridge plugs in (using multimeter set to V) , and it says about 12 volts, but I thought it was supposed to be 110. I am always plugged in to the park's AC, and everything else works fine in my trailer.

But again, if running on gas, it still does not cool

I checked the fridge fuse, and the power converter breaker is not tripped either.

There are DC Volts and AC volts.  You need to make sure your meter is set to AC Volts.

Go to another outlet that you know is working and measure the voltage to make sure your meter is set to the correct range.

To check the DC range measure the voltage of a AA battery or your engine 12 volt battery.

Sounds as if it may be time for a residential refrigerator upgrade. Do check for the shutdown red light on the back (I think that also disables the panel lights, but check).

Ernie

At zero degrees the boil-condense-evaporate cycle may simply not work, even with the addition of the light bulb for some heat. I would not conclude the fridge is a goner until it warms up a bit, say 30+.

Your fridge uses 120vac for the electric heater mode and 12vdc for controls & interior light.  You probably had the meter set wrong for 120vac, but since the fridge doesn't cool on propane either, there is no need to worry about 120v outlet power. And if the interior light comes on and the control panel lights are on, odds are strong your 12vdc is ok too.  So it's either the extreme cold or a failed cooling unit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom