Dump valve mods, and dumping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SLOweather

Our '88 Suncruiser had the combination wye valves for the black and grey tanks, 3" valve on the black tank, 1 1/2" (?) on the grey tank. It took a long time for the grey tank to drain, and was frustrating because the line from the tank to the wye was 3".

So, I removed the entire assembly and replaced it with 3 3" valves and a Tee. The 3rd valve was on the leg of the Tee.

This afforded me 3 things I found useful.

The grey tank dumped faster.

After a while I figured out a better dumping procedure. As there were usually just 2 of us in the coach, the grey tank filled up more rapidly than the black tank. So when dumping...

Open the leg valve, open the black valve, dump the black tank.

Close the leg valve, open the grey valve, and use grey water to back flush the black tank.

Close grey, open black and dump the back flush water.

Repeat for as much grey water as is in the tank, 2 or 3 times or so.

Finish dumping.

The last advantage is that, in a pinch, we could tie the 2 tanks together to lengthen the stay time when boondocking. I only had to do this a couple of times, but it really helped.

Cut to our Sunstar. I was gratified to see that Winnebago had switched to 3" lines all around. When we were shopping for new hoses and such, I was also looking for the parts to build my 3 valve dump manifold and was doubly gratified to find a Valterra 3" no-tools "repair" valve that has the bayonet fittings on each side It fit OK in the space available on the Sunstar dump hose fitting. So now I have my 3 way manifold again.

It's been a while since I've had to buy a dump hose, We purchased a Rhino hose with the clear elbow at the drop end. It's been interesting to observe how much more "stuff" (if you know what I mean :) ) flushes out of the black tank during my back flush routine...

Here's a pic of the Valterra in place.

Attachments

• 181212valves.jpg
    181212valves.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 101
SLOweather said:
Our '88 Suncruiser?  It's been a while since I've had to buy a dump hose, We purchased a Rhino hose with the clear elbow at the drop end. It's been interesting to observe how much more "stuff" (if you know what I mean :) ) flushes out of the black tank during my back flush routine...

I have the blade-type valves on my 2004 Adventurer and the Rhino Extreme hoses with the clear elbow and a hose fixture for flushing after dumping. I dump the black, then dump the grey, then flush the black, then flush the grey, then I'm done. It's simple, easy and only takes about 15 minutes. Also, I have a sewer cleanout at my house so I dump there.

I also use the sewer clean out at the house. Our TT has a black tank fill connection on the outside. I hook the hose up, close the black tank valve and go through several cycles of fill and dump. I can see when the water runs clear. You can also partially fill your waste tanks and drive around a little to get a sloshing action going then dump again.

AnRVAndADog said:
I dump the black, then dump the grey, then flush the black, then flush the grey, then I'm done.

Eww...

The usual process is to dump and flush the black tank then dump gray. The gray water rinses away the contents of the black tank.

HappyWanderer said:
Eww...
The usual process is to dump and flush the black tank then dump gray. The gray water rinses away the contents of the black tank.

I'm no expert here, we're still rookies... I should also mention that if you use a scent-based additive then flushing like you do might be required. We tried a scent-based additive and all we got was "Shitrus." I use a biologic (Happy Camper, twice the recommended amount in one gallon of water immediately after each dump, both tanks) that actually breaks down solid waste material and we use septic-friendly toilet paper. What comes out of my black and gray tanks has almost no smell and is 100% liquid, no solids at all.

Also, sometimes I cheat. If I don't feel like going outside to dump the dehumidifier I'll pour that down the toilet...

When we built this house 25 years ago, we put an RV pad on the side, complete with sewer dump, water, cable tv, phone, and a power cord for plugging the house into the generator. There's a manual transfer switch in the garage.

We were owner/builders, so when we sold the previous house before this one was ready, we lived in the Suncruiser on the driveway for 2 1/2 months while we finished it.

SLOweather said:
When we built this house 25 years ago, we put an RV pad on the side, complete with sewer dump, water, cable tv, phone, and a power cord for plugging the house into the generator. There's a manual transfer switch in the garage.
We were owner/builders, so when we sold the previous house before this one was ready, we lived in the Suncruiser on the driveway for 2 1/2 months while we finished it.

It sure makes everything easier doesn't it? I put down a concrete pad next to the house, 50amp service next to the outside spigot for water and the sewer cleanout is just around the front corner of the house.  Oddly, I have better facilities at home than I do at many of the Florida State Parks we visit!

AnRVAndADog said:
..... Oddly, I have better facilities at home than I do at many of the Florida State Parks we visit!

funny, we were at Anastasia SP last night.  The 30A outlet was so loose my plug barely stayed in.  I was just about ready to look for something to prop against it to hold it in!  terrible.

I have a sewer cleanout near my driveway I often use like that, but only wish my HOA would allow me to make a pad set up like that!  my dream!

back on track....
I like the idea.  My rig has the small pipe form grey tank, and the grey is on the opposite side of the rig... I've often thought the pipe should be better.  Hey, I could even gain a  it more tank space!

blw2 said:
back on track....
I like the idea.  My rig has the small pipe form grey tank, and the grey is on the opposite side of the rig... I've often thought the pipe should be better.  Hey, I could even gain a  it more tank space!

About a gallon over an 8 ft. run, if I did the math right.  ;)

Back
Top Bottom