Towing with a F250 6.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KLH

Just getting into Rv life wanted to know if anyone is pulling a trailer with a F250 6.2 and are having any problems with it, I have a F 250 with a 32 foot trailer that weights 9500 wet I plan on traveling with this unit for 6 months I really wanted a diesel but couldn?t swing it with buying a trailer any feedback would be welcome

I'm sure several somebodies are doing so.  Newcomers tend to worry too much about engine size, hp or torque but the factory-spec trucks are near always fine for the rated tow capacity.  It's more a matter of gearing than engine size, and the proper gearing coupled with the engine capability is part of what determines the tow rating. Diesels are nice because they produce power at lower rpms, so handy for standing starts and climbing grades, but your 6,2L gas V8 will get the job done just fine. It's not a race to the top of each mountain!

So, what is the tow rating and cargo carrying capacity of that F250? That's what you need to evaluate to figure out if that 9500 lbs of trailer will be too much or not.

Hey Gary
This truck has the up grade tow camper package which comes with a extra leaf springs and sway bar the tow rating is 12500 with a cargo capacity of 3250 with 3.73 gears we should be fine but I was wondering if anyone else towed trailers this this set up

Wow you've got some cargo capacity there.

I'm towing with a 6.2 with 10K gross and about 2700 cargo, pulling a trailer which is probably 11K now but will be 11.5-12K. Just pulled it 800 miles through rolling terrain, never close to foot on the floor. Did drop to 3rd a couple times (6 speed). It may not be a diesel but it's a 385hp 405ftlb engine so not too shabby. I averaged around 7mpg, 8 once I got out on the flat where it would hold 6th gear at 60 (3.73). Truck is new to me and so far I'm very pleased. (I get about 14mpg not towing.)

(As an aside, I was paying about $1.95-2.10/gal and diesel was 30% to as much as 50% more per gallon.)

I pulled 9600# with the 2015 F-250 I had with no problems. When I sold it, the salesman that sold it to me bought it. He pulls a decent size Cougar fifth wheel with it. He's pulled through the Allegheny mountains without issue. Learn how to use the manual feature of the transmission. It's like having a clutchless 6 speed manual.

kdbgoat said:
Learn how to use the manual feature of the transmission. It's like having a clutchless 6 speed manual.

:)) :))  I used that a lot. Got so I could anticipate which gear would be required and shifts are like silk especially if you shift slightly early. I find tow/haul way too aggressive, especially on initial acceleration, for example coming out of a rest stop. I did use tow/haul on back country roads and it worked well

Welcome to the Forum!

I doubt that cargo capacity.  Look for a yellow border placard on the driver door latch post which will state ... maximum weight of all passengers and cargo shall not exceed XXXX pounds.  This is the ACTUAL payload for THAT  truck as it left the factory, after correcting for options installed.  The published payload is for a base model with absolutely NO OPTIONS, just a full fuel tank.

Your towing capacity is usually limited by Payload.  Add together the weight of all passengers, car seats, snacks, toys, tools, firewood and other cargo carried in the truck.  Now add 80# for a WD hitch.  The difference between this and your actual payload is the maximum trailer tongue weight you can handle without exceeding your payload.  Since tongue wt MUST be at least 10% of the actual loaded trailer wt, multiply this max tongue wt by 10 to get the max trailer GVWR you should tow.

Example:  Actual Payload is 2900#.  Weight of all passengers and cargo is 1,000#.  This leaves 1900# for tongue wt, and more trailer than you would want to tow!  Note however, if you have 800# of ATV in the bed in addition to the above, you only have 1100# remaining, so the max TT you can tow must be under 11,000# GVWR.

Bottom line - you should be fine.

I don't doubt those numbers at all.  I've been looking at 18 and 19 F-250s with the 6.2 and 4x4 XLT's have a payload around 3000 pounds give or take depending on how they're equipped. 

2017 F250 SC 4x4 Lariat
6.2 gas
4.30 rear (rated to pull over 15K 5th wheel)
Camper package
3124 payload

jims94vmx said:
2017 F250 SC 4x4 Lariat
6.2 gas
Camper package
3124 payload

Thats the book rating ( i have the same brochure at home too) now go look at the yellow decal on the drivers side door jam for the real numbers look like this

i  have been wrong before but thats high for a lariet 250

Attachments

• IMG_20160306_092354 (1).jpg
    IMG_20160306_092354 (1).jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 26
Gary RV_Wizard said:
The camper package increases the CCC, and the gas V8 is lighter than a diesel Lariat.

Lighter by nearly 1000 lbs.  Its amazing how much heavier the diesel is. 

steveblonde said:
Thats the book rating ( i have the same brochure at home too) now go look at the yellow decal on the drivers side door jam for the real numbers look like this

i  have been wrong before but thats high for a lariet 250

That IS the yellow sticker! 

I just double check the yellow stick on my door jam and it?s 3350 payload don?t forget I have the camper package and with that you get a extra leaf spring

jims94vmx said:
2017 F250 SC 4x4 Lariat
6.2 gas
Camper package
3124 payload

You MIGHT be able to tow a 15K  FW.  The Pin Wt of 20% = 3000#.  Add a FW hitch, and you are overweight before YOU sit down in the cab.  If the pin wt is only 17%, or 2550#, plus 200# hitch wt, plus 2 passengers for 300# and only 75# of misc cargo, you just barely stay under wt. (I'll give you the extra pound.  Weights are not THAT accurate.)  If the pin is heavier OR more passenger wt OR more cargo wt, you are overweight.

grashley said:
You MIGHT be able to tow a 15K  FW.  The Pin Wt of 20% = 3000#.  Add a FW hitch, and you are overweight before YOU sit down in the cab.  If the pin wt is only 17%, or 2550#, plus 200# hitch wt, plus 2 passengers for 300# and only 75# of misc cargo, you just barely stay under wt. (I'll give you the extra pound.  Weights are not THAT accurate.)  If the pin is heavier OR more passenger wt OR more cargo wt, you are overweight.

i agree with Gord but even still 3000lbs with a F250 is impressive my 2013 3500 was only 3800lbs but it was a Duramax Diesel - i bought a Ford dually with 5200lbs to pull my 16500 toyhauler

grashley said:

I said it was rated to pull, not that I was! I am at 13,400

Had it weighed. Pin was 2800.  I was under in all aspects. RAWR, FAWR,  GCWR, payload, tire ratings.

Hitch is Andersen Ultimate.

Ha :)

If i wanted to be argumentative (I do not), I would ask if that 2800# pin wt was empty or loaded.  ;D

The Andersen is a BIG help on the weights!  I have one and love it!  Even with a 2800# pin wt, that only leaves a bit under 300# for passengers and all cargo in the truck.  Just do not add a 150 gal spare fuel tank!  Filled with gas, that adds over 1000#  ;D  ;D

jims94vmx said:
I said it was rated to pull, not that I was! I am at 13,400

Had it weighed. Pin was 2800.  I was under in all aspects. RAWR, FAWR,  GCWR, payload, tire ratings.

Hitch is Andersen Ultimate.

Ha :)

if your cargo cap is 3124 and the pin in your 5er is 2800 that leaves 324lbs for gear you and passengers, tools, hitch and all the after market accesories on your truck which is not a lot of wiggle room for sure

Back
Top Bottom