Small propane tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

While we don't really want to haul around a full size (20 lb.) propane tank, we'd like to get something with more capacity than the one pounders we currently use for our outdoor stove & grill. I see five & eleven pound tanks are available but seem to remember reading about some downsides to these smaller tanks?

We've carried a 5 pound tank for about ten years.  Can't think of any negatives.

If it's pricey to have it recertified, I'll simply buy a new one.

I've used a 5-pounder for my BBQ for the last 6 years. It lasts quite a while before needing a refill and is much easier to lug around than a 20-pounder. Can't think of any downside to using it.

We have used two separate 5 pound bottles. The first one was tall and skinny, and I always worried about it falling over. We bought a short fat version, and I love it. We use it for running a heater in the screen room, and we use it for a propane lantern when we need one.

We also use a 5 pounder for the grill. Very easy to haul around and we've had no problems with it. They are much more expensive than the larger ones and you must remember to tell the initial filler that it is a new unit. They have to purge the air from the tank.

I have one also. Kinda spendy initially but will pay for itself quickly. Just be sure to not get it filled at a propane supplier that has a minimum fill charge. I found this out the hard way the first time I got it filled.

I have a 5 lb'er too and it is awesome!  One word of caution though, I think they are considered collectible items.  My last 5 lb'er was stolen from the back of my bed.  I didn't want to store the full tank inside my  RV or in an enclosed compartment for safety reasons.  I now use a bike chain to secure it in my truck bed when I'm transporting it with my 5th wheel to go camping.

If I accidentally run out of propane in the 5 lb'er then no big deal, I can easily use propane from either of my 30 lbs tanks for the BBQ in a pinch.  I'm too lazy to install a tap into my main propane line at this point in time.

wmtired said:
If I accidentally run out of propane in the 5 lb'er then no big deal, I can easily use propane from either of my 30 lbs tanks for the BBQ in a pinch.  I'm too lazy to install a tap into my main propane line at this point in time.

Our motorhome came with an external propane outlet, but I have no intention of ever using it. I like the freedom of setting up the grill anywhere on the site without being confined to the length of a hose, or having to worry about tripping over the hose (or the dog getting tangled in it). I carry a couple of one-pound cylinders to use in case we run out of propane.

I can't think of any drawbacks to the 5# and 10# tanks except the obviously don't hold as much gas. I've owned and used both sizes for years and find them very convenient. Even use them on my home BBQ.

Back
Top Bottom