Headlight Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heli_av8tor

I don't usually drive at night but on my trip back from Colorado I got get-home-itis and skipped my last planned stop.
That put me driving at night in a heavy downpour. At 55 mph I was outdriving my lights. I'd like to upgrade the bulbs to something that will give me better coverage. I'm not sure how to go about researching my options.

I've attached a picture of my setup. Is this a standard unit that was used on a production car or truck? I'm hoping that if it is I could use that info to find a cross reference to a brighter bulb. Hard to find something using the MH info. This single bulb has both high and low beams.

Any suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• MH Headlight.JPG
    MH Headlight.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 59
Take the bulb out.  Head to Autozone.  (Heck WalMart)  There are only a few style bulbs.  Sylvania makes some good ones, I upgraded on my Yukon XL, really like the improved vision.  But in the rain.... nothing worse, except freezing rain. ::)

Heli_av8tor said:
I don't usually drive at night but on my trip back from Colorado I got get-home-itis and skipped my last planned stop.
That put me driving at night in a heavy downpour. At 55 mph I was outdriving my lights. I'd like to upgrade the bulbs to something that will give me better coverage. I'm not sure how to go about researching my options.

Any suggestions welcome.

I'll add this, with the engine running, check the voltage at the lights with the lights on and on high.  If it is less than 12.6 volts the wiring is inadequate and needs to be upgraded.  I'll have to check but there is a way to do this and Ii can find where there are instructions and forward them to you if needed.  I did this in my Dutch star and it made a worlkd of difference.

If those are original 14 year old lights, they are likely NOT putting out the light they did originally.  New lights are not that expensive.  The local auto parts folks can help you select the best replacements for your situation.  Just take a bulb with you, as others have said.

For really bright headlamps, you may be able to order LED lights. They're expensive, but really bright, use less amps, and last forever (OK, just seems like forever!!!).

Get the Silver Star Ultra from Sylvania. Take your lamps out and check the number, match it up to the Silver Star Ultras and you're all set. Might want to use a headlight cleaned on the outside of your lights.

namumac1 said:
Get the Silver Star Ultra from Sylvania. Take your lamps out and check the number, match it up to the Silver Star Ultras and you're all set. Might want to use a headlight cleaned on the outside of your lights.

My wife had a Subaru Tribeca.  When she got it, one high beam was out, so I replaced both headlight bulbs with the SSU's.  In the remaining 3 years she owned the car, I bought at least one bulb a year to replace a blown one.  I believe those SSU's run so hot that they don't last long.  I'm  also not a big fan of the "blue/white" color.  Looks neat, but my eyes just don't like it at night.
That being said, I'm hoping for an LED conversion kit for my Jeep is under the tree later this month.

I'm  also not a big fan of the "blue/white" color.  Looks neat, but my eyes just don't like it at night.
I'm with you -- they hurt my eyes, even in the daytime. I do get some relief from my prescription glasses, since they are photochromic (Thin N Dark), and have an anti UV coating, but they're pretty bad.

Just don't put HID bulbs in a regular headlight, they blind oncoming drivers and here at least are illegal. A brighter bulb will not necessarily give better light, modern vehicle shapes make for poor light design hence less than optimum patterns. My 05 Ram is very disappointing in this regard but there is little I can o about it.
Last night I had a young yahoo in a lifted pickup with HID's following me, I was really wishing I had a passenger and a pellet gun. :mad:

Roy M said:
Just don't put HID bulbs in a regular headlight, they blind oncoming drivers and here at least are illegal. A brighter bulb will not necessarily give better light, modern vehicle shapes make for poor light design hence less than optimum patterns. My 05 Ram is very disappointing in this regard but there is little I can o about it.
Last night I had a young yahoo in a lifted pickup with HID's following me, I was really wishing I had a passenger and a pellet gun. :mad:

I had one of those situations a few years ago while driving a ford fusion(sits very low). The truck was tailgating me. I shifted both of my side view mirrors to reflect the light back at him(her)...They got the message and backed off and turn off the headlights. I don't think they had a clue just how bright those things are to other people.

Larry N. said:
I'm with you -- they hurt my eyes, even in the daytime. I do get some relief from my prescription glasses, since they are photochromic (Thin N Dark), and have an anti UV coating, but they're pretty bad.

While this is true, the brighter the light the hotter it is. Meaning that they won't last as long as the regular halogen lamps. Be careful with LED and HID changes. The HID may or may not require additional resistors in the circuit to mimic the load. With the LED setups you can actualy get worse light than stock set up. It depends on the headlight envelpoe you choose to change to. Do LOTS of research. You can pay a few hundred dollars to look cool and get less light. I have had Super Star Ultras in my truck since 2014 with no problems and my wifes car since 2013, all good.

Pull the bulb out.. Get the number off it.... Go on Fleabay and order a set of LED bulbs.
You will LOVE being finally able to see the road... See signs before you get to them... See like you were
25 years old again...
I got the 4 bulb LED package for our 08 Outlaw for $25...  YES,  4 LED headlight bulbs for $25...........
The difference is night and day !  Forget everything else....  Just go LED...
I was so amazed, I ordered a set for my F150 as well...!
I made sure my adjustment was proper.. I adjusted them slightly to the right more to help light up signs..
I have never had a oncoming car flash me.

Bob

namumac1 said:
While this is true, the brighter the light the hotter it is. Meaning that they won't last as long as the regular halogen lamps. Be careful with LED and HID changes. The HID may or may not require additional resistors in the circuit to mimic the load. With the LED setups you can actualy get worse light than stock set up. It depends on the headlight envelpoe you choose to change to. Do LOTS of research. You can pay a few hundred dollars to look cool and get less light. I have had Super Star Ultras in my truck since 2014 with no problems and my wifes car since 2013, all good.

Got to admit, I ran the SSU's on my Jeep with no problems, but those were the replacement sealed beam ones, not the capsules with replaceable bulbs.  The Subaru had the capsules and I was changing bulbs quite often.  Finally went with just a replacement halogen and they lasted a lot longer.

Tom, we probably have the same headlight units.  Mine are pretty dismal and I'd like to replace.  Looking forward to your report. 

Gary

Maybe not the answer you are looking for, but in my experience the limitations most people experience with headlights is not going to be fixed by "brighter" bulbs. The DOT has very strict limits on bulbs & sealed beam units which means, by and large, swapping around the light source isn't going to net much improvement. If you google comparisons amongst cheapo commodity bulbs and all the fancy boutique replacements (Silverstars, Crystalvision, Nighthawk, etc.) you'll find the only thing that really changes is the color temperature. Consumer Reports - whom I despise - had this quote recently:

We found that the premium bulbs, as a group, deliver a whiter light and up to 19 percent more output than the standard or OE bulbs, and that can be more pleasing for drivers. But none of the premium bulbs allowed us to see farther on our headlight test course than the standard or OE bulbs. That?s because distance is determined more by the size and shape of the lamp?s reflector or lens than by the bulb. We also found little difference in light output among the premium bulbs; no more than the differences normally experienced from power fluctuations while driving.

An interesting detail is that the brain confuses color temperature for visibility at the conscious level - whiter light is "felt" to be brighter even when objective visibility is not improved. That's a big part of the reason people who say "my boutique bulbs are brighter" are not supported by objective tests.. tests which show exactly what you'd expect: 55w bulbs put out about the same amount of light regardless of whether they are blue or yellow.

Related, if you read studies of headlight design you'll find that virtually every headlight design is lacking in a demonstrable way. For whatever reason, people who design headlights are generally not good at it - or maybe designers and beancounters sacrifice lighting for appearance or cost. I don't know. But all the studies of vehicle headlights over time show the bulk of headlights are far behind the best designs... for no good reason.

On the subject of design, remember that commodity LEDs, which have very pure, very bright light SUCK at projection. You need to spend serious dollars to get LEDs that project anywhere near as good as incandescents. And, in terms of replacement bulbs - don't get me started. Conventional headlight design is based on the specific position of the bulb filaments. Replacing an incandescent bulb with an LED changes the relationship of (or destroys completely) light source to reflector. Putting LED bulbs in incandescent housings results in nothing good - all the projection limitations of commodity LEDs combined with terrible light control, scattering light all over the road and blinding oncoming drivers. Of course, you think you can see better because you get pure white light all over the top of street signs, but you don't see further away and everyone facing you hates your guts. If a $25 Amazon bulb is all that was needed, Hella would not be selling $750 LED lights...

To that end, my personal advice would be: If you're overdriving your headlights, and you don't have an actual electrical problem (ie, less than 13v at the light) don't waste your money on bulbs. Buy some quality auxiliary lights - Hella, PIAA, etc. and mount them in the right place. An inexpensive pair of Hella 500 driving lights offers a level of light you won't find in ANY headlight. And, do make sure you're shopping driving lights, and not spot, flood or fog lights. Different beam patterns!

My $0.02, but I think if you google any of this stuff, you'll see it's all very well supported.

Edit: I don't know anything about your specific headlights, but being round you might look at Hella's 60, 90, or 120mm modular lights. You might be able to adapt the 90mm or 120mm into your housings and preserve the look. They offer conventional, Xenon, and LED light sources with modern reflector design. You can buy single beam (low or high) or dual beam. Susquehanna Motorsports sells the full line - www.rallylights.com - if you have some time and creativity, I think you will get better light and keep the factory look. If not, they also stock the FF700 which is gudncheap ? and things can get real expensive from there. :)

Thanks to each of you for your responses. I didn't ask the question and just disappear  ;D
I've just been overwhelmed with more pressing activities and haven't been able to follow up on this. Looks like it will be a project for me on my winter trip when life should slow down a little.

I think the voltage check will be my first step. I'm not sure the best way to correct this if low, but will figure it out if need be.

Will report back what I find.

Thanks again,

If you're overdriving your headlights, and you don't have an actual electrical problem (ie, less than 13v at the light) don't waste your money on bulbs. Buy some quality auxiliary lights
Another common cause on older coaches is the plastic outer lens getting scratched or becoming foggy (perhaps too much UV). This can sometimes, at least temporarily, be remedied by certain plastic polishes to smooth things out or clear off the foggy layer of the plastic.

Back
Top Bottom