Inverter generator that can run off batteries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanTheDove

Hi, 30' Silver Streak Remodel under way.

I'd like to purchase an ~2kw inverter generator that I can attach to two 6 volt batteries in series (12v system) and the inverter would power from them, then, when the batteries get low (~12.3v) the generator would automatically start, recharge the batteries, and continue to run until the load dropped or voltage hit a maximum like 13.2v.

Is there anything out there that does this?

Thanks.

Hi Dan, and welcome to the RVForum. I've never heard of a portable generator with that feature, but that certainly  doesn't mean they don't exist. What you're describing sounds like the AGS feature found in many motorhomes. When a pre-set low voltage threshold is reached, it turns the generator on automatically, which runs until the batteries get recharged. Our Magnum inverter has that feature, but we haven't needed it since we went solar. You might search for Automatic Generator Start systems and see what's available. Perhaps they could be configured to work with portable generators.

Kev

Hi Dan, welcome to The RV Forum!

Most if not all 2000 watt portable generators are manual start, you have to pull a rope to start them.  That precludes them from automatically starting via a battery monitoring system.

Inverter generators have their inverter incorporated inside the generator, the advantage is it produces cleaner power and the engine is free to speed up or slow down according to the amount of power it needs to deliver.  You can't power the inverter from a battery pack, it's permanently tied to the generator.

The closest you can come to what you want is to have a separate battery powered inverter to run the RV's electrical outlets, then manually start and stop a generator to recharge the batteries using the trailer's converter.

Otherwise you're looking at much larger, permanently mounted generators like those designed to power a house during a power outage.

Generally you need to go 3,000 watt to get Electro-start. I do not know of a generator that offers what you wish but.. It's possible by combining a good electric-start generator with an Automatic  Generator Start unit such as in many high end Motorhomes

Frankly I think given the amount of time you can run on a single pair of GC-2 (Recommended i one pair per kilowatt of inverter)  A in-line inverter and an In-line standby generator are indicated.

The inline inverter will provide power till the generator come on line  The generator will auto-start whern power fails..  This is (With one minor difference) what we had at work

THe "Inverter" (Like a Prosine or Freedom XC) was a fork lift sized UPS unit 

THe Generator was a big block Natural gas fired Chevy V8 with a Genrac "Transmission".

Thanks for the comments.

I'm aware that I can buy an inverter and even remote start a generator based on battery voltage. I guess I'm thinking "An inverter/generator has an inverter, why buy another one?"

I'm hoping a manufacturer provides an "external battery hookup" I guess that would allow me to use batteries as the default and only start the motor if/when the battery needed charge.

If nobody makes one, it seems like an opportunity.

Maybe a bigger/higher end unit?

Thanks again!

You need an inverter that suites yoru needs and a large 12-13.5v battery. There are a few emergency jump starter units that have this built into them but they are really expensive(150+ Dollars) Most modern nverters have voltage protection so they will shut off and alarm when the battery gets critically low (PB acid batteries become trash when they are completely depleted. And make absolutely sure that when the unit is not in use that you put it on a trickle charge.

An inverter generator is a type of generator not an actual inverter that changes 12 volts DC  to 120 AC. It turns fuel into 120 volts AC and has a variable speed to adjust to the load and save on fuel and cut noise. My Honda has a manual "eco" mode switch to slow it down. When a load is applied it will automatically throttle up.

You can buy an inverter that just turns 12 volts in 120 AC or you can buy an inverter that does that and charges a battery.

Some inverters are pass through. They are connected to the battery and 120 volts AC shore/generator. When shore power or gen are off they use the battery to power 120 circuits. When plugged in to shore power or starting the generator they pass that 120 volts through to the 120 v circuits  AND charge the battery. They have an internal transfer switch to toggle between battery and AC.  I have not owned that style so others may tell you more on that or correct me.

You could also have another stand alone transfer switch that is on default to the shore power cord and automatically switches over to generator when the generator starts.

As mentioned above there are devices that can automatically start the generator when voltage is low. You also get into the particulars of the generator that you are using and how it's equiped. My 3000 Honda has recoil start and electric start and an optional remote key fob start. If I pull start or turn the key to start I must use the manual choke. If I use the key fob then the choke is automatic.

Every generator may be different in how easily it adapts to what you are trying to do.

There are indeed portable generators with electric start - here are several models:

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/power/electric-start-portable-generators.html

There are also Automatic Generator Start (AGS) systems you could rig up.  Magnum, Xantrex and Onan make an AGS, for example.

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sites/default/files/AGS_data_sheet_64-0010_RevD-web_1.pdf

Back
Top Bottom