Pedal Steel pickers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PancakeBill said:
I am a bluegrass guy.  Plus old country, the new stuff is pop with almost a twang.

Just another heard from.

Love me some Bluegrass....Fox on the Run.....8_more miles to Louisville....The old home place.

SeilerBird said:
Rock and country are twin sons of different mothers. Music always progresses and people always complain because it is progressing. But very few people buy Hank Williams Sr recordings.

I don't because as far as I know, we have everything he's recorded, and yes, we do listen to them.

But very few people buy Hank Williams Sr recordings.
Still, there are enough folks out there with that preference that SiriusXM has a channel dedicated to traditional country, and another to bluegrass, and Larry's Country Diner and Country Family Reunion, plus many older shows such as The Porter Waggoner Show are very popular on RFD-TV. One reason that few buy Hank is that many already have what they want of that era, including old LPs or tapes they've picked up used, but it IS still available.

I love music. All music. It doesn't matter how old or how new it is and I don't care what label it has, all music is awesome.

That's fine. But for me, distorted musical instruments, and voices that are equally distorted, and tasteless (to me) lyrics are part of things I dislike. Even though I love most classical music (yes, much of opera, too), for example, there are some modern compositions that have a lot of dissonance that are hard for me to listen to. The old (pre-Beatles) rock and roll had a lot of good music, though there were pieces I didn't care for, and a lot of the later stuff can be pretty good if the performances are toned down -- yes, it's often the performance I don't like -- to get rid of the distortions. In spite of its effectiveness in one song, I'm sorry that Marty Robbins "invented" the fuzz tone (the bad tube in a preamp) in Don't Worry 'bout Me, because of its massive over use.

And I won't even start on rap...

Larry N. said:
Still, there are enough folks out there with that preference that SiriusXM has a channel dedicated to traditional country, and another to bluegrass, and Larry's Country Diner and Country Family Reunion, plus many older shows such as The Porter Waggoner Show are very popular on RFD-TV. One reason that few buy Hank is that many already have what they want of that era, including old LPs or tapes they've picked up used, but it IS still available.
I agree. But what is the point of complaining about "new" country music that so many old timers bitch about? If you don't like it then don't listen to it. Listen to something you like. Complaining about some form of music you do not like does not accomplish anything.

That's fine. But for me, distorted musical instruments, and voices that are equally distorted, and tasteless (to me) lyrics are part of things I dislike. Even though I love most classical music (yes, much of opera, too), for example, there are some modern compositions that have a lot of dissonance that are hard for me to listen to. The old (pre-Beatles) rock and roll had a lot of good music, though there were pieces I didn't care for, and a lot of the later stuff can be pretty good if the performances are toned down -- yes, it's often the performance I don't like -- to get rid of the distortions. In spite of its effectiveness in one song, I'm sorry that Marty Robbins "invented" the fuzz tone (the bad tube in a preamp) in Don't Worry 'bout Me, because of its massive over use.
Marty Robbins did not invent fuzz. Grady Martin was the guitarist on that song but he didn't invent fuzz either. Goree Carter was playing a fuzz guitar in 1949 on Rock Awhile and Ike Turner played fuzz guitar on Rocket 88 in 1951. Duane Eddy had a lot of fuzz and Link Wray redefined fuzz in 1958 with Rumble.

And I won't even start on rap...
Thank you.

I agree. But what is the point of complaining about "new" country music that so many old timers bitch about? If you don't like it then don't listen to it. Listen to something you like. Complaining about some form of music you do not like does not accomplish anything.
It was more explanation and expressing opinion than complaint (though I wish so many stores didn't make me listen if I'm in the store), Tom, vs "Thank goodness. It is better than ever." "Music always progresses and people always complain because it is progressing." "I love music. All music. It doesn't matter how old or how new it is and I don't care what label it has, all music is awesome."

Certainly there's nothing wrong with liking it all (some ways I envy that), but that's something given to few. You're fortunate, in that respect.

PancakeBill said:
Ever hear Tom rap?  Me neither.
One of my favorite songs of the 2000s is Lose Yourself by Eminem. I tried to rap with it but failed miserably. It is a very hard song to rap to. And he double tracks most of the vocals. I have no rapping ability but there are a lot of rap songs I love.

Rap- I wore out my Sugerhill Gang album before most people ever heard of rap.

Robert Randolph plays blues on the steel .  I love the pedal steel and would buy one but have never found an instructor.  They begin at a minimum of $1000 plus for a simple one. I do have a lap steel at less $ and I can find instruction online. Tunings are simpler. 6 strings.
I grew up in the Midwest early 50's  and every little tv channel had a live country show. I watched just to hear the steel.
Pat

Back
Top Bottom