Tattoos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A friend of mine says he's never seen a tattoo that makes a person look better.  I've been getting pedicures and my toenails painted for 17 years.  That's MY body piercings and tattoos.

I'm an old guy, but when I was a kid the only people that had the degree of tattooing I see today are the people in the freak shows, usually called something like "the tattooed lady". I personally do not esthetically appreciate any tattoo I have ever seen (except perhaps the military tattoos), but too each his/her own in my book.

There might be dangers however; I had a young colleague that was tattooed in what are called sleeves, with multiple colors. She developed skin cancer in the colored ink part of her tattoos.

Both of my adult sons have ink. The youngest one a "full sleeve" on one arm. Not my choice, but not my life either. Some of them have a special meaning to them. I don't like or dislike them. I have never found anything that I wanted to carry around with me for the rest of my life, so it hasn't been an issue.

Unless the purpose of the tattoo is to intimidate others (like a swastika in plain view) I don't care how someone looks. We did check into an RV park a while back, a KOA as I recall. The guy behind the counter, which I later learned was the owners son, had several very disturbing tats visible on his face and neck. A swastika on his face, and a image of Hitler clearly visible on his neck.  He should not have been working the counter checking people in.

However, my mom when she was much older wound up getting her eyebrows tattoo on as she was so fair haired, she had none unless she drew them on with pencil.  Unless she told you, you would never notice.

Plus there is the cost, ink can be very expensive in the thousands over time.  One time when i was tempted i was going to get a very tiny one on my lower leg which would have been maybe the size of a half dollar.  But when i explained what i wanted they said it would be $150, i walked out and that was that, no way im spending that kind of money, im glad i didnt get it, i would regret it now.

judway said:
I have a few which I had to get in order to line up the radiation machine to treat my prostate cancer.

I?ll be joining that club in a couple of months.  I found out the day after my birthday that my PC came back.  I start chemo in about a week.

More than thirty years active duty USN and still tattoo free. Visited the following popular tattooing cities around the world?. Honolulu ? Singapore ? Hong Kong ? Saigon ? Yokosuka ? San Diego ? Norfolk ? Chicago ? Malaga ? Lisbon and some I?ve just forgotten.

If I had to pick something yucky to look at on a person, I'd pick a tattoo.

It  sure beats those big UGLY earring HOLES people make  in  their ears!

I worked for the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk in Santa Cruz, CA in the late 1990s as a ride mechanic.  Their policy at that time was no tattoos could be visible.  Our lead mechanic had tattoos on his arms from the Navy so he always had to wear a long sleeved shirt.

Tattoos can't be  that expensive, or how could homeless people have  them?

8Muddypaws said:
I?ll be joining that club in a couple of months.  I found out the day after my birthday that my PC came back.  I start chemo in about a week.

Best wishes for a full recovery this time. Go kick some butt

UTTransplant said:
Not everyone who is now homeless has been without money in the past. Isn?t that kind of a Duh?

You are  right!  They had enough  money for a tat,  when they should  have  used  it  for  rent.

ziplock said:
You are  right!  They had enough  money for a tat,  when they should  have  used  it  for  rent.
Having known a man who was homeless for 3 years when mental illness overtook his life, I have a visceral response to comments like these. My friend was an attorney for a prestigious firm. Big money followed by a dreadful divorce followed by descent into the bowels of depression. He finally got help from the incredible folks who deal with Salt Lake City?s homeless population, began taking medicine, going to therapy, and got his life back on track. He will never again be an attorney, but he is holding down a solid tradesman job. I knew him in the latter stages, but he was very open about his struggles. His story, with minor variations, is repeated thousands of times. Not all homeless are there because they are feckless.

UTTransplant said:
Not all homeless are there because they are feckless.

Yes!  I agree  with you! You keep  thinking this is ALL  ABOUT YOU AND  YOUR  EXPERIENCE  with people YOU have met.

YOU will be okay..............

There are Tats and there are Tats. Some of them I respect. Some Well...

Did you now there is a passage in the Bible about Tats?  Yup.  Leviticus 19

28 You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh, for the dead, neither shall you make in yourselves any figures or marks: I am the Lord.

Though not everyone agrees that prohibits Tattooing... Many do.

But then Leviticus was one bloody prophet offering to put people to death for such things as shaving.

We are a product of the values and opinions of our parents and the society we grew up in.  At that time, tattoos were unacceptable, and that is what we grew up believing.  It is an emotional argument, and cannot be refuted.

I got my first tattoo when I was in my late 40s.  A few years later, I got another.  I stopped at that point, because I am very selective about what I get, seeing that it will be with me forever.  The two I have, I'm happy with.

By the way, as you may have guessed, getting tattoos in your late 40s/early 50s is not a sign of rebellion.  It is a sign that I've reached the stage of my life where other people's opinions (outside of close friends and family) are meaningless to me.  I believe what I want, you decide for yourself.  Don't impose your beliefs or criticisms of my beliefs on me, and I will extend the same courtesy to you. 

This belief system has done me well, and applies to everything except Ohio State Buckeyes Football.  All must acknowledge The Mighty Bucks!  ;D ;D

As a young 18 year old Navy boot on my way home from bootcamp, I was tempted into getting a smallish 'USN' banner with eagle head on my forearm. It was pretty cool at the time (I thought). I probably would never have gotten one except it was midnight at the Trailways bus station in St. Louis with a 2 hour layover and a tattoo parlor conveniently located next door. There have been times I regretted getting it, but...

For years now, when kids ask me what the printing means, I tell them it stands for "U Stupid Nut". Now that I'm past the 3/4 century mark, I wish someone had told me how these danged things just don't age all that well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom