Prodigy brake controller problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmax07

Started out pulling my 5th wheel with a Pilot brake controller that worked.  I did not like the jerky braking and having to constantly adjust the control for different driving conditions.  So, I purchased a Prodigy brake controller and installed it using a purchased pigtail to match my TV.

Here is the problem and question:

Prodigy hooked up, TV running, brake pedal depressed no trailer hooked up ? dot space dot ? This is normal

Next hooked up trailer and trailer pigtail ? dot C ? Normal ? set the boost ? dot C dot ? Normal ? Manual set to 6 ? still everything showing normal readings

Driving off Prodigy code SH flashing then OL Flashing then back to dot C dot

Brakes applied while moving, brakes work and a number reading on Prodigy some times other times the SH and OL readings.  Some times no connection reading.

Checked the brake magnets using a compass to indicate when magnet is energized and all four wheels indicated OK.

Checked wires at each wheel, king pin wiring connections and plug to TV, by wiggling them while the TV was hooked up and running. I could not get the Prodigy to indicate a short.

After a short trip to test the system after checking wiring, Prodigy indicated SH and OL during trip, while adjusting the trailer position for parking, forward and reversing, the Prodigy worked fine.

Question 1:  Does this indicate a problem with the Prodigy or is there a ghost short in the system.

Question 2:  Are any suggestions as to where to look next.

I called Prodigy tech support once already and the person on the phone was not helpful at all.

The pigtail that plugs into box under dash is maybe the problem. 02 & older GM pickups had 2 wires turned around I forgot which 2. A lot of the stores only show 1 pigtail for all years because it fits. Any GM dealer should be able to tell you which wires to change.

The pigtail used was a TE3015 for Chevy/GM 2003-2006 and same for 2007.

Controller works fine some times and not other times.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sure sounds like an intermittent short to me, just like the Prodigy says. The OL code can also indicate a short, just one that has fairly high resistance. If it happens without touching the brake pedal, I'd look for worn or pinched wiring on the trailer or the plug you wired up on the TV. Since your short is not constant, it can be hard to spot.  If you only get the code when braking, then I would include the electric brake units themselves in the search.

It could be a bad controller, but that possibility is a far distant third choice versus the wiring and trailer brakes.

I had a similiar problem with my trailer. I finally ended up rewiring the trailer due to the fact I couldn't ever find a consistant problem to attack. I would first suspect the ground connections. Make sure they are not broke and are getting a good contact to the frame. after that good luck. Sorry it will just take time.

I had the identical problems. I took apart each wheel and found the routing on the brake wires were the problem, from the factory, the wires were routed in such a fashion that they were chaffing on the magnet arm and a little copper was peeking out so we got SH & OL short and overload. I rerouted and taped each wheel, so far we are OK.

Nelson

Thanks for all the feed back.  The trailer is in the shop know having the brakes looked at.  While the trailer is in the shop I rechecked the TV connections.
I have not found any ground problems.
I have found on the blue brake wire, without the brake controller connected, a voltage of 0.05 volts without the engine running.  When the engine is turned on the voltage jumps to 0.10 volts and when the transmission is engaged it jumps to 0.24 volts.  If I understand this right the blue wire should not have any voltage on it with the controller disconnected.
I plan to pull all the plugs and recheck the wiring connection again.
Trailer repair shop is going to pull the trailer with their Prodigy and this should tell me something.
Thanks again for you input.

Update!!!
Found the problem.  Poor installation of fifth wheel trailer plug.  Installer used push blade connections to insall plug into truck bed.  When they taped the connections it left open the wiring conduit allowing water to enter the conduit.  Water traveled down the conduit and corroded the inside of the factory trailer plug on the bumper.  When the plug was pulled apart an ample amount of water flowed out.  I allowed the plug to dry out and Prodigy started working without a short or overload indication.
This also explains why the controller worked intermittently on hills.  When going up or down the hill the water would change position in the plug allowing it to work.
I did not find this earlier because I did not know how the factory trailer plug came apart.  It just twists and pull apart.
Kick myself for not finding this earlier.
O' well learn something new every day.
Again thanks for all the help and comments.

PS.  Allways make sure installers or yourself make solid wiring connections and seal connection water tight.  Do Not use push blade wiring connections.

Just glad you've resolved the problem.  Persistance does pay off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom