troubleshoot /removing onan microquiet 4000 starter issue in 95 southwind storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ogtwizsfv

so Ive been having problems with my generator not starting. - Onan microlite/microquiet 4000, KY spec B, on my 95 Southwind Storm - when engaging the starter there is a horrendous grinding/clanking noise coming somewhere back near the flywheel / starter. i can turn the flywheel by hand (clockwise) somewhat but doesn't sound as it should. so knowing i just need to take the big bastard out so i can look inside and determine what exactly the malfunction is - except  despite the many videos / forum posts detailing genset removals / starter replacements i cannot find any matching my specific setup so i am reaching out hopefully someone can clarify a few things I'm not 100% certain on...

i attached some pictures , but i recall seeing somewhere someone saying the easiest way to disconnect the ground wire / positive cable box setup before being able to pull out the unit. i understand the exhaust must be removed, along with the fuel lines, and 4 bolts underneath holding it onto the frame - which frees it up to be slid out the front, which i have rigged a shopping cart with the basket removed and some pieces of wood that rolls under the genny and can be used to set the unit on once removed.

pictures

Attachments

• onan40002.jpg
    onan40002.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 17
  • onan40003.jpg
    onan40003.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 12
  • onan40004.jpg
    onan40004.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 13
  • onan40001.jpg
    onan40001.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 12
well i cut the top off so its just the base w/ wheels. rolls almost perfectly under. im pretty confident it can hold the weight even with your freshly planted seed of doubt in my mind. lol.

darsben said:
Sounds good except that unit is a heavy mother and I worry about the shopping cart holdding the weight

You've never seen what my wife can put in a shopping cart ;D

I'm thinking that gen set weighs around 200 pounds
A shopping cart (Metal) can handle around 350

I lucked out.  When I pulled mine out I had a forklift to use.  I had to drop it straight out the bottom.

loving the quick responses except we have swayed off topic - the cart will uphold its end of the deal , im certain - but if from what your able to see - am i on the correct path to succeed in my method of thinking that once ive disconnected all hangups and removed the 4 bolts im aware of, that it will slide (as intended) out the front of the mounting- leaving the attached housing underneath that contains my shore cord and generator outlet undisturbed.
once i am able to remove it then hopefully i can describe accurately whats failing mechanically inside the generator housing - near the flywheel not excluding the starter- in hopes together my issue can be troubleshot completely.

First, Welcome to the Forum!

Second, I am NOT your expert, but my approach, based on your comments and pictures, would be:
1.  Remove the exhaust hanger from the frame.  I know the pipe  will snag on the frame when you pull the genny out, but then the exhaust pipe will be easier to reach.
2.  Disconnect ALL wires going through the Genny case.  This would include power output cables, remote start cables, battery to starter cables, etc.  Take lots of pictures and label EVERYTHING!
3.  Disconnect gas lines and any attached air intake ducting.
4.  Pull bolts holding the genny to the frame, then see how far it will move and look for other things that are connected.

Good Luck!.  Keep us informed of your progress!

Back
Top Bottom