I love Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sightseers said:
Just curious .....what changed from the 50-60's ?  :)

Daytona Beach was a smaller town in those days. We rode our bikes to the beach and stayed all day. Most of where we lived was woods, not many houses. We would play sandlot football. I could ride my dirt bike just down the road and hunt and fish. Now urban sprawl has taken over and the city lines are blurred. Strip mall after strip mall. I think the things I mentioned above have happened all over the country. Urban sprawl has ruined a lot of the country. We used to drive to from Daytona to Tampa, pre interstate, and most of the drive was through orange groves on two lane highways. Now almost every where we travel it?s via 4, 6 or 8 lane highways and interstates.

Yes , and as I remember it.  everything was better when we were young.  ;D

LOL. We've lived in Florida for 42 years now and still laugh at the horrified looks/squeals of visitors from 'Up North".  Yeah it's a subtropical climate, and we have all kinds of critters that thrive in it: alligators, humongous cockroaches (we call 'em Palmetto bugs), snakes of all sorts, and "love bugs". We also have lots of more popular wildlife, like deer, black bears, squirrels, raccoons, etc.  It's a critter paradise!  We find it entertaining, and not at all dangerous if you observe even a little common sense.  I worry far more about danger from humans than the many critters here.

For you folks up north that haven't made it to Florida yet, don't let these guys scare you off. All those stories about alligators are just something they say to keep the tourists from completely overrunning the state. There's really no gators there...  Really!!! Would I kid you???

Attachments

• gators27.JPG
    gators27.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 20
SeilerBird said:
:)) :)) :)) :)) Yep, the tourists are the dangerous ones.

Well....  I'm not so sure about Florida 

In my mind.. I keep seeing this family visiting Disney World,  and the Father losing a tug-a-war with an alligator that had his 2 year old son is his mouth.

Or how about that guy that was asleep in his bedroom when the earth just opens up.... and he is gone.... forever...... ???

Sorry,      I'll just put up with earthquakes, fires, and high taxes.    ( and these totally gnarly 50' waves at Mavericks  :)) :)) )  :D

sightseers said:
Well....  I'm not so sure about Florida 

In my mind.. I keep seeing this family visiting Disney World,  and the Father losing a tug-a-war with an alligator that had his 2 year old son is his mouth.
Alligator deaths are greatly exaggerated. Only five people have died from a gator attack in Florida in the last ten years.

Or how about that guy that was asleep in his bedroom when the earth just opens up.... and he is gone.... forever...... ???

Sorry,      I'll just put up with earthquakes, fires, and high taxes.    ( and these totally gnarly 50' waves at Mavericks  :)) :)) )  :D
Meanwhile the death toll for the Camp Fire alone is at 88 with 196 still missing.  Sorry, but Florida has lower taxes (no state income taxes), lower death rates and less disasters.

SeilerBird said:
Alligator deaths are greatly exaggerated. Only five people have died from a gator attack in Florida in the last ten years.

Huh...only 5 in 10 years ?

and I just heard about an lady walking her dog the other day........she must be another one of the 5.    ;D

Sorry.......but Florida,  is too much like Jurassic Park.

someone always strays away...... and ends up being eaten by a an animal  ;) 

Oldgator73 said:
Born and raised in Florida. Twenty fours years there. It?s a nice state. Great beaches. Has one of the best universities in the country. But we aren?t going back. Son, daughter and grandkids are here so that?s where we need to be. Tom, if you like Florida now you should have lived there in the 50?s & 60?s.

I have to agree with that last statement.
We moved to Florida in '58. It was glorious.

LarsMac said:
I have to agree with that last statement.
We moved to Florida in '58. It was glorious.

We moved to California in 59....it was like living in the Wonder Years TV show.

Isaac-1 said:
SeilerBird, do you have Bald Eagles in Florida now?  They have started ranging back into Louisiana the last few years, and we have one living around the family cattle ranch now, I saw it swooping down over a pond full of Canadian Geese and then perching in a pine tree last week, and someone else spotted it eating one of them geese last Thursday morning.

Glad something is eating those annoying birds!!
We can't reduce the numbers here without permission.... but I personally think they need a hard cull!!
(I volunteer to fill my freezer with Canadian Canada Geese)

SarniaTricia said:
Glad something is eating those annoying birds!!
We can't reduce the numbers here without permission.... but I personally think they need a hard cull!!
(I volunteer to fill my freezer with Canadian Canada Geese)

It?s legal to kill peacocks in some parts of Florida. They run wild and are extremely annoying. Sound like some kids I know.

PancakeBill said:
Humidity.  Not for me.

Me too.  Then there are the relentless mosquitoes and no-see-ums.  Glad to have gotten a chance to come here via Lin An's travel nursing job, but can't wait to go back to the desert southwest.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom