What Trailer length is too long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We could get into a lot of technical stuff here, but if a short & simple answer will do, I'd say 30 ft is about the max travel trailer for a half-ton Ram (assuming an adequate tow and payload rating on the truck).  28' would be better.  I'm talking the rated size (floor length) rather than overall length, so that 30 ft trailer might actually be 33-34 ft overall.

Some half ton trucks and some drivers can comfortably handle more, but without more knowledge of your truck and your driving skills and comfort-level I would be reluctant to suggest it. For many people, a 27-28 footer would be a more comfortable choice.  The configuration of half ton trucks can vary widely, so check yours for tow rating and payload.

Any sizable trailer can be a handful in crosswinds, including those from passing semi or buses. The longer the trailer, the more susceptible it is, and half ton trucks nearly always lack the stiffer suspension of the 2500/3500 models. Lou already explained about trailer wheelbase lengths and overhangs.

other than the heavier wheels/tires and suspension ....why would a 3/4 ton be more stable in the wind?

Does a 3/4 ton truck weigh that much more than a 1/2 ton ?

My 2010 F150 lariat had a weight of 5,750lbs and my 2017 F250 Diesel Lariat weighs around 6,050lbs. I would guess the aluminum components keeps the weight down somewhat. I am sure the 150's with the ecoboost and new aluminum bodies are considerably lighter, at around 4,900lbs ,than the older models.

Much of the difference is in the suspension and tires. For the past 18-20 years, half tons have been built with more a softer, car-like suspension and handling, simply because most of them are used as daily drivers, even if they are owned by a construction outfit or engineering firm. The "work truck" is a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, whereas the supervisors and engineers drive the half tons. And the vast majority are owned by homeowners rather than businesses. These days, many half ton trucks even come with "P" (passenger) tires rather than LT (Light Truck). The bigger (read: heavy duty) models are stiffer, have heftier suspensions, stronger drive trains, and more capable hitch receivers.  You can usually get a half ton configured much like its heavier duty brethren, but new truck dealers don't stock them that way and 98% of those are the used lots are the car-like ones.  So, while its not impossible to have a half ton that is a near match to a 3/4 ton in capability, the smart money bets otherwise.

Part of the difficulty is that trucks are much more configurable than cars, in both capability and amenities.  A majority of the buyers don't realize that or don't understand all the technical stuff that can differ, so they just say "Wow! I've got a truck! I can haul/tow anything now!"  NOT!!!!

sightseers said:
other than the heavier wheels/tires and suspension ....why would a 3/4 ton be more stable in the wind?

Does a 3/4 ton truck weigh that much more than a 1/2 ton ?
A long wheelbase tow vehicle also helps stability and 3/4 ton trucks are typically longer, (also the overall weight of a 3/4 ton seems about 2K more).

sightseers said:

Heavier wheels, tires,  supension, brakes, axles, frame and maybe more engine/transmission cooling.

Other than that, there isn't much difference between a half ton and a 3/4 on truck.

martin2340 said:
My 2010 F150 lariat had a weight of 5,750lbs and my 2017 F250 Diesel Lariat weighs around 6,050lbs
Porkchopexpress said:
A long wheelbase tow vehicle also helps stability and 3/4 ton trucks are typically longer, (also the overall weight of a 3/4 ton seems about 2K more).

According to Martin .....The actual weight difference is about 300 pounds. 

My well endowed wife will cover most of that...  ::)

sightseers said:
According to Martin .....The actual weight difference is about 300 pounds. 

My well endowed wife will cover most of that...  ::)
Google says for 2019 Ford products,
F150: 4,069 to 5,424 lbs
F250: 5,668 to 7,526 lbs

Lou Schneider said:
Heavier wheels, tires,  supension, brakes, axles, frame and maybe more engine/transmission cooling.

Other than that, there isn't much difference between a half ton and a 3/4 on truck.

Also, the extra weight is below the horizontal center of gravity which tends to make it more stable in cross winds and when towing.

IBTripping said:
Also, the extra weight is below the horizontal center of gravity which tends to make it more stable in cross winds and when towing.

Good to know about that below center of gravity thing    :)) :)

I'll tell my wife.... for everyone's safety !.... you need jump in the back and lay down as low as you can on the floor ... ;)

so.. are those lifted 4x4's in real trouble towing    ???

My F-350 was lifted 10" when I bought it and we promptly hooked up to the trailer after making ball height adjustments and we headed from Waterloo Ia to Las Vegas with a very tight schedule the only real problem was getting use to the pogo stick to get in and out of the dern thing, especially with two newly minted hips. ;D ;D

Now it is down to 2"over stock. ;) ;)

sightseers said:
I'll tell my wife.... for everyone's safety !.... you need jump in the back and lay down as low as you can on the floor ... ;)

Yeah and after you tell her that, what emergency room will you be located.  ;D

And yes, those high lift trucks are top heavy and easy to tip over. But, they look cool.

martin2340 said:
My 2010 F150 lariat had a weight of 5,750lbs and my 2017 F250 Diesel Lariat weighs around 6,050lbs. I would guess the aluminum components keeps the weight down somewhat. I am sure the 150's with the ecoboost and new aluminum bodies are considerably lighter, at around 4,900lbs ,than the older models.

That F250 is CRAZY light.  My 2017 Chevy 2500 Duramax is 7900lbs empty and around 8500 with the family and ready to tow...My 2014 Chevy 1500 6.2L only weighed 4900lbs, so yeah theres a pretty significant difference.

In the GM the Duramax/Allison adds about 900lbs over the Gas setup, so even the gas 2500 would be 2000lbs heavier than the 1500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom