Hitch Storage Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chakara

Our 5th wheel has a receiver hitch on the back.  It's rated at 4000 lbs.

I've been looking for a reasonably price storage box to put on there - - really just want a protected space to carry my Honda 2000 and maybe a couple of gallons of gas.  The ones I'm finding pre-made are like $500+ - - pretty steep me thinks.

I plan on getting over to Harbor Freight and see if they have a tray and maybe a bed box or something else I could "make" into this use fairly easily.  I'm kinda handy - but don't weld or metal work.....

Anyway, thought I'd see if any of you kind folks have a easy solution :)

Thanks
-Chak

While the hitch says "4000 lbs", that speaks to the physical hitch, not the mounting.  I suggest you have a welder take a look at how it is attached to the FW to verify what it can carry.  Granted, you will likely be less than 500 lbs, but it never hurts to be safe!

The hitch is rated to pull 4000 lbs.  The weight it can carry is substantially less, probably in the range of 10% or less of the pulling weight.

Lou Schneider said:
The hitch is rated to pull 4000 lbs.  The weight it can carry is substantially less, probably in the range of 10% or less of the pulling weight.

Just to give you an idea as to what Lou was talking about:

Hitch Class Tongue Weight Capacity* Towing Capacity*
Class I                 200 lbs                     2,000 lbs
Class II               250-350 lbs                     3,500 lbs
Class III               350-500 lbs                     7,500 lbs
Class IV               500+ lbs                   10,000 lbs

Chakara said:
  I've been looking for a reasonably price storage box to put on there

I would probably do a Hitch cargo carrier with plastic bins.  Very versatile and flexible.
https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-deluxe-cargo-carrier-66983.html

I misread the OP?s post. I had a receiver hitch welded onto our 5th wheel. I put one of the carriers that you can buy at Harbor Frieght and other places. We put our bikes on it. The Thor factory manager told me what I did could have voided our warranty. But when I told her I only carried bicycles she that was probably okay.

Harbor Freight does indeed have a tray..  One friend of mine extends the frame out to mount storage boxes on the back of the trailers .. Alas I won't see him for another 4-5 months but he does a wonderful job.

You could get the HF-Tray and a Rubbermaid Storage bench and then run bolts throw the bottom of the Rubbermaid and the "Grill" on the Tray and lock it down hard.  IN fact that's how I"d do it.

Thanks for the feed back all!

I can't imagine that I'll put more than a couple hundred pound.  Main goal is a place to carry my Honda 2000 - and maybe a few other misc things on trips where I'm not pulling double with my enclosed ATV trailer.  I don't know the tounge rating on the hitch - but it is factory install by Northwood and rated for 4000 lbs trailer weight.  My ATV trailer and ATV are under 2000lbs combined and put between 200-300 lbs on the hitch.  Tows like a dream.

To that end, I may settle for a heavy duty plastic box in a Harbor Freight aluminum hitch mounted cargo carrier.....

BUT - if I could find a nice aluminum box that locks I'd be happier :)  Then I could bolt it onto the cargo carrier and the genny would be a bit more secure....

-Chak

grashley said:
Look at Aluminum pickup tool / cargo boxes???

That is where I'm leaning towards now.  Drill out the bottom for a couple of bolts/ubolts/something and put them in the same location for the hitch cargo carrier as well as in the front of the ATV trailer......make it easy to move.    Work in progress, I'll make sure and share the final solution.

Back
Top Bottom