How much is the increase?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
On the 21st of December, it will be the shortest day of the year. On the 22nd of December, the days start getting longer. Anyone know how how much longer? I'm sure it's just seconds but how many?

On December 22, just one second. By the end of January, better than two minutes per day.

Rene T said:
On the 21st of December, it will be the shortest day of the year. On the 22nd of December, the days start getting longer. Anyone know how how much longer? I'm sure it's just seconds but how many?

Rene, if you're in need of this info for schedule planning purposes, I think your schedule may be a bit full  ;) ;D

Some weather apps/sites including NOAA will tell you sunrise/sunset times to the minute. if not second. and you can do the math from there.  For any day of the year.

Many GPS units will give TODAY's sunrise/sunset times for your precise location as well.  but alas only today's.

A day is 24 hours in December and also 24 hours in July so it never gets longer or shorter.  :D ;D :D ;D

It depends on your latitude, at the equator the difference is very, very, little. In Nome, Ak. the difference is significant.

Bruce, every now and then they add time to December 31st to keep in sync with the earth's rotation.

Ed

Joezeppy said:
All this working stiff knows is it's dark when I drive to work and it's dark when I drive home.  :(

You should be banned from this forum for using that bad word.  "WORK".  :mad: :-\ :)( :)( :)( ;)

Bobtop46 said:

Exactly, the factors are lattitude and the time of the year = the revolution of Earth around Sun. The trajectory is elipse and during northern hemisphere winter, we are closest to the sun, so after the Deccember the prolonging of the day speeds up, up to the equinox.

Our Garmin GPS gives the length of day to the minute, not sure of the second, and sunup/sundown. It?s what we use to get exact time, for sunup and sundown while hunting!

As one respondent noted "....A day is 24 hours in December and also 24 hours in July so it never gets longer or shorter.  :D ;D :D ;D...." May be true to total length. ~~~ BUT ~~~ the hours of 'daylight' and 'dark' vary a bunch.  Most folk ask re; length of 'daylight' or 'dark' with 24hours as a given.

JM2?  ~~  YMMV

Going back to the comment on adding time to standard days. 8)
February 29 is a date that usually occurs every four years, and is called leap day. This day is added to the calendar in leap years as a corrective measure, because the Earth does not orbit the sun in precisely 365 days. The Gregorian calendar is a modification of the Julian calendar first used by the Romans.
Bill

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/ca/clovis/93611 

Go down about 20 lines and look on the left. It tells you how much longer tomorrow will be.

For example it says 2 minutes 18 seconds longer for Thursday 2/28/19.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom