Used Jayco Seneca Super-C, or new Jayco Precept (31UL)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skookum

First time motorhome buyers here, although not new to the world of RV's. I'm sure something like this has been asked before, so, humor me (or tell me to go straight to 'search', although fresh input is appreciated).

But I think this is a pretty narrow question:

Which do you think is a better value over the next 5-7 years?

-2006 Jayco Seneca (we've seen a few models, 35GS is preferable)

Things that stand out:

I really like the medium-duty GM platform with 6.6 Duramax and 10k towing ability. I have a Jeep Wrangler that I'd like to tow on a trailer and I'm guessing the weight of Jeep and trailer would be a shade over 6k. Zero worries about towing and zero worries about longevity of a Duramax/Allison combination.

Things that worry me:
Even the newest Senecas on that platform are starting to age. Even if we find one lightly used, that's 13 years of storage, entropy, that make just about every system "suspect" in terms of needing maintenance and refreshing. We figure we'll at least be into any rig this old for new tires, batteries, all fluids, and then assessing individual systems after that, probably water heater and maybe furnace.

Used pricing $65k-$75k here on the West Coast. I think they will continue to hold pretty good value.

Definitely don't want to spend new for one of these rigs (New Seneca on Freightliner chassis, I think around $180k, not in the budget)

-2018/19 Jayco Precept (31UL)

Things that stand out:

It's entirely new. A king bed is preferable for us in any RV. The class "A" layout of having the front seats and area being inclusive of the living space is kinda nice, and the reason why we aren't really looking at any Class-C's beyond the Seneca Super-C. No real immediate maintenance needs here, and just about everything should be under warranty.

Things that worry me/I don't like:

Work with me. I'm not/not-yet a fan of the Ford chassis with the ubiquitous V10. Power output seems low, it's got Ford transmission, chassis is only rated to tow something like 5k. I've heard the rear can be reinforced to increase towing capability. I'd prefer to stay under manufacturer ratings, but this causes an issue because I really want to tow my Jeep on a trailer. I don't want to flat-tow it and put that kind of wear on it. It's lifted, it runs expensive offroad tires and suspension, etc. Should be on a trailer.

My other half really wants NEW and really likes the Precept because it has a lot of modern upgrades compared to an older Seneca, things like LED lighting and flat panel LED TV's, the front windshield is pretty awesome for taking in sights going down the road (and probably pretty friggin' expensive to replace, will be a rock magnet)

New Pricing anywhere from about $85k-$110k, seems to depend on location and options, would consider old/new-inventory that a dealer is trying to move. Really not sure how these will hold their value. Oldest is 2014 and they are still pricey even used, but anything Ford F-chassis like this seems to be a dime a dozen after about 10 years. (Smack me if I'm wrong--just going by what I see on RV lots).

---

So this is a bit of a battle of wills, and a question of value. Do we buy old and have expect some hefty expense up front to sort it out, but in return get a "heavy duty" rig like the Seneca Super C, Or do we buy new, and go with a Class A that's a bit lighter-duty, and not expect major replacements, and presumably rethink the tow-rig situation?

Perspective? Obvious things I'm missing?

I would never sink that much money into an RV if it was my first one. I would get something around $20k and use it for a year. After the first year most beginners have a much better idea as to what they really want in an RV. If you have never RVed before you really don't have a clue as to what you really want. Then if after a year you decide to upgrade to what you should have gotten in the first place you will have lost a whole bunch of money in depreciation.

SeilerBird said:
I would never sink that much money into an RV if it was my first one. I would get something around $20k and use it for a year. After the first year most beginners have a much better idea as to what they really want in an RV. If you have never RVed before you really don't have a clue as to what you really want. Then if after a year you decide to upgrade to what you should have gotten in the first place you will have lost a whole bunch of money in depreciation.

Solid advice. I didn't mention our skill/experience level other than being first time buyers, so this makes more sense for someone brand-spankin-new.

We've lived vicariously through friends/family with RV's for years and have taken trips of our own in borrowed rigs. Our list of requirements puts us into a very narrow subset. Things like:

-No interest in Class B's or vans. Too small.
-No/never kids, so bunkhouses are wasted space for us. Single bedroom/King bed is preferable.
-We're both very tall, so ceiling height and shower space are huge factors.
-Class C/ anything with a Ford Van front end is out. Knees-into-dash ridiculous how tight those cabs are. We mostly see Class C front ends as wasted space for our needs, Class A similar in price and more usable for us.
-Prefer a non-residential fridge, something that runs on propane for dry camping.
-Holding tank sizes are a factor.
-Mostly hate dinettes, prefer table/chairs, some dinette configs are acceptably large enough, but that rules out a lot of C's.
-27'-35' seems to be the desired length that is inclusive of the space and amenities we want.

I'm very open to ideas of course, but I'd be surprised/shocked if we found out our requirements were totally different after spending some time in either the Seneca or the Precept that I mentioned. We focused on the Precept after comparing a bunch of other rigs over the last 5 years during our trips to RV shows...seems to be a front-runner compared to similar configs from other makers in the new RV market.

I agree with the above posters.  We just purchased our first RV and spent 40k on a 15 year old diesel pusher which we really like.  We plan to window shop for different models when we upgrade in a few years.  The main thing we are learning is that floor layout is the first thing to nail down, and a longer length to allow for a second bathroom and a king size bed.  These are things we realized after our first 4-5 trips in the current rig.  We also will do a more thorough job of inspecting.  We were lucky with our current rig that there aren't any issues - given we did only a cursory amateur inspection before purchasing. 

At your price points, I'd consider the low to mid range DP's in the tive to eight year old range. Our 2011 Win 34y, as an example, would probably be 80 +/- 10K and suits your preferences. We have been very satisfied with it for nearly six years. I'd plan to negotiate the cost of tires, service, etc against the asking price.

I'd also note that these units are still modern in appearance and usually well equipped (flat screens, large fridge, etc).

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
At your price points, I'd consider the low to mid range DP's in the tive to eight year old range. Our 2011 Win 34y, as an example, would probably be 80 +/- 10K and suits your preferences. We have been very satisfied with it for nearly six years. I'd plan to negotiate the cost of tires, service, etc against the asking price.

I'd also note that these units are still modern in appearance and usually well equipped (flat screens, large fridge, etc).

Ernie

Interesting... I see you are a Jeep man as well. If you tow it, do you flat-tow it all 4 wheels on the ground or do you have a trailer?

I'll have to poke around searching the DP market a bit more. Most of them usually fall outside our radar based on price, so may need to expand our search outside the Northwest.

I think the Seneca is a much more capable rig than the Precept, which is purely an "entry level" model whose main advantage is a low price.  However, I do not share your low opinion of the Ford F53 motorhome chassis, V10 and Ford 6-speed tranny.  As long as the chassis is configured adequately for the size of the coach to be built on it, the F53 is a solid performer.  I'd be looking at Winnebago Adventurer/Sunova/Sightseer or FR Georgetown XL for a gas chassis coach.  However, a diesel rig is probably a better answer to your tow capacity needs, and you can get some pretty nice used DP's or Super-C's for $90k.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I think the Seneca is a much more capable rig than the Precept, which is purely an "entry level" model whose main advantage is a low price.  However, I do not share your low opinion of the Ford F53 motorhome chassis, V10 and Ford 6-speed tranny.  As long as the chassis is configured adequately for the size of the coach to be built on it, the F53 is a solid performer.  I'd be looking at Winnebago Adventurer/Sunova/Sightseer or FR Georgetown XL for a gas chassis coach.  However, a diesel rig is probably a better answer to your two capacity needs, and you can get some pretty nice used DP's or Super-C's for $90k.

Thanks for weighing in. What I said about F53 came out poorly. You are correct, it's an issue of capacity, and that's on the builder, not the chassis manufacturer. In the entry market, they build to the upper limits of the chassis capacity not leaving much room for towing. F53 is both reliable and capable, but might not be as robust as we need it to be if I want to tow a vehicle on a trailer.

I had a 34' Bounder on the F-53, and it towed my Jeep just fine. And it wasn't short on capacity (22,500 lb chassis) -- unfortunately I don't have the rest of the specs anymore.

"My other half really wants NEW and really likes the Precept because it has a lot of modern upgrades compared to an older Seneca, things like LED lighting and flat panel LED TV's, the front windshield is pretty awesome for taking in sights going down the road (and probably pretty friggin' expensive to replace, will be a rock magnet)"

Looks to me like there is no question of what to buy keeping in mind----If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy."

Cost me $50 to replace my $1400 windshield this year....make sure you get windshield insurance coverage.

Arch Hoagland said:
"My other half really wants NEW and really likes the Precept because it has a lot of modern upgrades compared to an older Seneca, things like LED lighting and flat panel LED TV's, the front windshield is pretty awesome for taking in sights going down the road (and probably pretty friggin' expensive to replace, will be a rock magnet)"

Looks to me like there is no question of what to buy keeping in mind----If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy."

Cost me $50 to replace my $1400 windshield this year....make sure you get windshield insurance coverage.

That gave me a good chuckle.

I think the phrase that comes to mind is, "Happy wife, happy life". We aim for a more modern interpretation, "Happy spouse, happy house" so neither of us are sacrificing too much.

I need to call the insurance company. They don't offer glass coverage like that on the cars. It's covered through comprehensive coverage, at the current deductible ($500). It's not cost effective to lower the deductible to $0 for just the cars, but may have to see about doing that if we pick an RV with real expensive glass.

I don't know what it is, but specs aside, I just LIKE the Seneca better. We're going to look at one this weekend (there's also a new Jayco dealer same area). I just see a lot more wiggle room in a used rig, and even after a little refreshing, I think we'll have a more capable rig with a lot of money left over.

But, lots of reading to do...I'm sure if we buy it, and it doesn't work out well, I'll never hear the end of it. ;)

Well, I think the discussion is settled! Between the two contenders, I think we both agree there is better value in a used motorhome, for our situation, especially as our first ownership adventure.

At least that's what a piece of paper says now, that we are the legal (and proud) owners of an '06 Seneca 34SS, just rolled 34k miles. It felt like the right one to both of us, things checked out OK, and we have a pile of money leftover versus buying something new.

The house is warrantied for 60 days, so we are planning to use it plenty right off the bat. First order of business is to top-off maintenance on both the house systems and chassis. There's a bunch of stuff I can knock out myself, and for anything bigger, I've got a shop nearby that comes with good recommendations. The other order of business is to set up our second home inside of it, and actually enjoy it!

We're excited to take a few trips...I'm sure I'll have a zillion questions as we get going, will be reading a ton more on these forums.

Ha! I came across this thread when searching for something else Seneca-related.

Update: We've had the '06 Seneca for a year and 4 months, roughly. Bought it with 34k and now has 41k. Spent over 30 nights and various travels in 2019 including towing a pickup on a flatbed across the country. The Kodiak platform does not disappoint regarding power and towing capability... Cascades, Rockies, rolling grasslands, prairie with headwinds....no problem! The size fits our needs well.

We had several much bigger trips planned for this year but all are on hold due to covid. Still, we are getting out here and there for overnighter and weekend trips, even if just to a KOA to unplug for the weekend.

The Seneca has been really good to us, so far. Some very minor issues and upkeep--but that's to be expected with a 14-year old RV!!. It's very easy to service, except for the generator (Onan). Just did everything on it except for adjusting valve lash (not due yet) but what a pain, terrible design for maintainability. It's in tippy-top shape now.

Onward...many good miles ahead....once we can make some reservations and get on the road!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom