New Project Doubled Battery Bank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HueyPilotVN

Since I got rid of the Stacker and do not carry the Golf Cart around I no longer have the extra batteries to link together.

I only have four T-105s and the coach starting battery which is mostly just for starting the diesel.

I do have a compartment in the right rear close to the battery bank that I have only used for storing jugs of oil and such.  It is about 3 feet long and 12 inches deep.  It is located next to the Invertor which is in a separate compartment between it and the factory battery bank in another compartment.

So, I am adding another four golf cart batteries which will double my battery bank for a total of eight batteries or about 900 amp/hours at 12 volts.

I already have 750 watts of Solar and was not making good use of all of it with the current 450 amp/hours of the original bank.

I tied the two banks together with relatively short runs of 4 gauge cable with a 100 amp fuse in the positive line.

It is now basically one 12 volt bank that shares the solar charging as well as the normal charging when on A/C.  This also doubles the bank size for powering the Invertor.

Here are some pictures of the project.

Attachments

• r20181219_200716.jpg
    r20181219_200716.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 121
  • r20181219_201709.jpg
    r20181219_201709.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 103
  • r20181219_201723.jpg
    r20181219_201723.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 101
  • r20181219_201816.jpg
    r20181219_201816.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 109
More pictures

Attachments

• r20181220_000151.jpg
    r20181220_000151.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 104
  • r20181220_000218_001.jpg
    r20181220_000218_001.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 102
  • r20181220_000311.jpg
    r20181220_000311.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 98
UTTransplant said:
All ready for KOFA and Quartzsite, Nice.

Just in time, too.  Weather out in KofA yesterday was beautiful, although I think someone's already in you guy's spot.  Went past there yesterday on the way to the Horse Tanks with a group from our RV park.  Absolutely awesome out there and we really want to do some more exploring.

Sounds good.. Was just thinking I have a "Hidden" compatment (open to air) not far from my converter... I could add batteries there on a slide out tray... It is currently full of spare hoses and other water junk.  but it is vented unlike all the other compartments. and just behind an axle. (Over the springs in fact).

Looks nice, Bill.  Did you do anything besides using the piece of plywood to reinforce the compartment floor?  Trojan T105s weigh 62 lbs. each and I'm not sure the sheet metal floor on my compartment would support 250 lbs.

Lou,

I looked at the gauge of the metal on the bottom of the compartment.  It was fairly thick and supported by angle braces.

The compartment is a welded box.

I drilled thru the wall section to bring the cables into the compartment and it was quite a job to drill thru.

I did go ahead and lay a plywood floor in the compartment just to be sure.  You can see it in one of the pictures.  I thought about and might still run threaded rods up by each battery and put hold downs on each battery.  The only way I can see those heavy batteries moving is in a turn over.  If that happens than all bets are off anyway. 

I pulled the golf cart batteries out of the golf cart for this project.

I only have room for four of the six batteries.

I have two left over.  They are 3 years old but I rarely used the golf cart so they have not gone thru many cycles.

The first person that sends me a message can get them at Quartzsite next month.

You can use them to add to your bank if you have room or replace your old ones.

These are not Trojan batteries but they seem to work just as well.  I got them at Tractor Supply in 2015 here in Lake Havasu.

When and if I buy new batteries later for the golf cart I will just buy the same but a new set of six.  I never use the golf cart at all at the new house.

I will also bring the tools for making up new or extra cables to Q.

Who needs two batteries?  Free of course.

I actually have two fans installed in that compartment.

A couple of years ago I was concerned about the amount of heat generated by the 3,000 watt Xantrex invertor in the compartment next to this one.  I installed a fairly large 12 volt computer fan in the wall between the compartments blowing air and heat away from the Invertor.  I also installed a second fan in the top of the rear compartment blowing air up and out of the compartment so that it would flush the air rather than just build up pressure in the area.

Attachments

• r20181219_201730.jpg
    r20181219_201730.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 30
  • r20181219_201709.jpg
    r20181219_201709.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 30
I pulled the motorhome out of the garage and parked it in the outside RV spot.

For the first time I used the tilt brackets for the solar panels.

They can be tilted in either direction.

Now if I can just keep from falling off the roof when I tilt then each time.

Attachments

• rtilt.jpg
    rtilt.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 54
  • rtilt2.jpg
    rtilt2.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 43
I notice there is a shadow on the back set of panels. Even a small shadow can significantly reduce the amount of output from those panels.

I saw the shadow from the rear AC.
Usually I park facing West but in my home RV pad I back in.
Fortunately I. Have full hookups at home.
The panel tilt either direction.
I was waiting to see who would spot this issue first.
The system is split. Into two with separate controllers also.

HueyPilotVN said:
I saw the shadow from the rear AC.
Usually I park facing West but in my home RV pad I back in.
Fortunately I. Have full hookups at home.
The panel tilt either direction.
I was waiting to see who would spot this issue first.
The system is split. Into two with separate controllers also.

So, what's the prize for being the first to spot the shadow; just bragging rights? LOL

HueyPilotVN said:
Now if I can just keep from falling off the roof when I tilt then each time.

Given your apparent penchant for things mechanical, I'm surprised not to see automatic power actuators.  And some kind of system to follow the sun's arc!

Maybe in version 2.0 with the safety upgrade.

Nice work, as usual.

msw3113 said:
Given your apparent penchant for things mechanical, I'm surprised not to see automatic power actuators.  And some kind of system to follow the sun's arc!

Maybe in version 2.0 with the safety upgrade.

Nice work, as usual.

Kevin is way ahead of me on that project.

I did consider putting Solar on one of our Mobile Surgical Units, (1,000 Sq Ft roof), but it would not come close to running a Sterilizer.

That looks great. Thinking of doubling my battery capacity to a whopping 4.  ;D  I would probably suggest securing the batteries down though. During traveling and hitting bumps the batteries can actually lift up off the floor slightly then come banging down. Over time it could possible shorten the battery life.. Just saying.

skeeter

skeeter_ca said:
That looks great. Thinking of doubling my battery capacity to a whopping 4.  ;D  I would probably suggest securing the batteries down though. During traveling and hitting bumps the batteries can actually lift up off the floor slightly then come banging down. Over time it could possible shorten the battery life.. Just saying.

skeeter

I actually considered drilling holes in the plywood base and using threaded rods to bolt each one down.  I will probably do that still.  With the four batteries connected with cables it is hard to imagine how they would bounce, but I guess safer is better.

Either I am getting older or those batteries are getting heavier.

I might just use a strap to tie them down.

Back
Top Bottom