Installing a Combo Microwave/Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I've heard of members installing combo microwave/ovens. I've got a couple of questions. In my case, I've got a built in microwave and a small cabinet next to it to the right. Below the microwave is a 12 volt range hood with a exhaust fan and work light. Below that is a propane cook top with 3 burners and a gas oven. To the right of stove is a small counter and a small roll out pantry next to the oven.
I'm assuming that pretty much everything would need to be ripped out. Do these combos come with a built in vent fan and can they be connected/ducted to the already hole in the outside wall. Can someone give me a link to something similar that they've installed?
Also does anyone have a link to a cooktop that they've installed. We still want gas.

You don't have to replace the cooktop (range actually) unless you want to do that so as to install a cabinet or dishwasher. I have the same setup, may replace my microwave later. Yes it will use the same vent, they are setup to vent out the top or back (side of trailer), although vent alignment may be an issue since the center of the new larger microwave will be to the right of the center of the old smaller one. In all likelihood you will have to remove the cabinet adjacent to the microwave as most combos are wider (but maybe you can find one that will fit).

Back2PA said:
Yes it will use the same vent, they are setup to vent out the top or back (side of trailer), although vent alignment may be an issue since the center of the new larger microwave will be to the right of the center of the old smaller one.

Thanks Scott. Another issue will be that the new unit will have a vent but it will be much higher than the one for the hood I have now. The hood vent is below my microwave. I think I'd have to cut another hole through the side of the RV for the new vent and then do something with the old hole. May be more trouble than what it's worth.

Rene T said:
Thanks Scott. Another issue will be that the new unit will have a vent but it will be much higher than the one for the hood I have now. The hood vent is below my microwave. I think I'd have to cut another hole through the side of the RV for the new vent and then do something with the old hole. May be more trouble than what it's worth.

Oooohh.... you're absolutely right. I forgot that the vent is not built-in to many of the plain microwaves - that makes it a much bigger job. Mine is built-in so I guess I could do it if I wanted but to be honest I rarely used the convection when I had it in the previous rig.

Back
Top Bottom