Tire Valve Stem Core

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marshall212

Yesterday I changed the batteries in my tire pressure sensors. I had one tire which was leaking air once I took the sensor off. I removed the core and it was an unusual style (at least in my experience). It was long and about 2/3 of it was a spring. I let the air out and then reinserted the core and pumped some air in and it seems to be holding. I will completely re-pressurize the tire today with a borrowed high pressure air unit from the ranger station and hopefully that will take care of the situation.

I do however have a couple of questions. (1) will "regular" cores seen in most cars trucks work in these high pressure 22.5 inch tires? I inflate the tire to 100 lbs. (2) I have googled cores for trucks and did not get a return of anything that looks like what I have. Are there specific cores for our high pressure tires? Can someone point me in the right direction for appropriate cores?

Thanks in Advance

There is a myriad of schrader type valve cores available for different applications. Usually the external spring ones are used in unloaded valves, compression testers, and ect.with different spring lengths/tensions to control valve release.
  Sounds like maybe you have a ?filtered core? valve core that sometimes are ran with balance beads to prevent core plugging. Without a picture, hard to say. In any case a regular vale core will work.

There are different pressure ratings for the valves stems and the ones used in passenger car tires are typically about 65 psi max. Metal valve stems used in larger tires are much higher than that, 200 psi and up.  The cores are all higher psi-rated, 200-300 psi or more.  They do come in different lengths and styles, though (see Schrader brochure link below).  I would buy new cores at a NAPA or other professional-grade store rather than Autozone or Advance and specify that yoou want a truck tire valve core.

http://www.schraderinternational.com/_/media/Schrader/Files/Document%20Library%20PDFs/North%20America/Valve%20Core%20Brochure.pdf

If you have tire pressure monitors on an RV I would recommend special "Filter" cores that prevent any powder or dust from beads from clogging the sensor.

Now think.. IF you have a TPMS system. it has to depress the core in order to get a pressure reading. so if the core leaks a bit when you remove the TPMS.. Don't worry. just re-apply the TPMS.

QUestion for folks who know..

I understand TST had issues with the "Flow Through" TPMS sensors a few years back.

Have they resolved that?

Just a follow up. I did remove the core and reinsert. It is working fine. Next time I am in town I will pick up some cores from NAPA.

Thanks

Yes TST re-engineered the flow through sensor and it flows more air should you need to add air. They work very well.

John From Detroit said:
If you have tire pressure monitors on an RV I would recommend special "Filter" cores that prevent any powder or dust from beads from clogging the sensor.

Now think.. IF you have a TPMS system. it has to depress the core in order to get a pressure reading. so if the core leaks a bit when you remove the TPMS.. Don't worry. just re-apply the TPMS.

QUestion for folks who know..

I understand TST had issues with the "Flow Through" TPMS sensors a few years back.

Have they resolved that?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom