Why did my shore power just quit working?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Starting to get organized ahead of our January departure and as of last week everything was working fine in our coach. But when I went out today to do some things, none of the AC outlets or appliances were working. We're connected to 50 AMP service here at the house and I tested the power from the pedestal to the coach and everything seems normal there-- power getting to the coach.

Don't even know where to start looking to see what the issue might be. On generator, everything inside works fine so that would seem to rule out any kind of breaker issue. (?)

Any ideas?

Back2PA said:
Sounds like the transfer switch failed

Ok, I'll bite.  ;)  How would one go about testing for that? (mindful that I'm quite challenged when it comes to all things electrical)

Since everything works on generator, that pretty much isolates the problem to either the shore power side of the transfer switch or the shore power cord and plug.

You'll have to locate the transfer switch and see if the shore power cord is delivering voltage to the terminals on the relay box. That will isolate whether the problem is in the transfer switch or in the plug and cord.

Are you able to use a Multi-Meter?  I had this happen last year.  I did the following to troubleshoot:

- Found the Transfer Switch
- Fired up generator - checked where there was voltage.  I had voltage on 2 legs of the 3
    Think of the switch as having 2 inputs but only one output.  I simply switches between powersources (Generator / Shore Power)
    Typically - if both Shore and Generator are available, the switch will use generator.
    Also typically when you plug in shore power, the switch will make a "thunk" noise.
- Turned off Generator and hooked up shore power.  I had voltage on the 3rd leg, but not the original 2.  Also, no "thunk" sound.

Maybe this will help - good luck!

-Chak

Arch Hoagland said:
Do you have a "Salesman switch" by the entry door?  It will shut off all power.

I have mine taped to the "ON" position.

That only affects 12 volt

My guess is also the transfer

Shore power path (Optional part)

Shore--_Cord---Inlet---(Hughes Autoformer)|(Surge Guard)---Transfer switch----Breaker panel

Now suspects and I've seen many of them

Bad shore power (IE: Bang, (Car hit electric pole) No power
Bad plug/cord connection (I was able to fix)
bad cord OUTLET (The marinco outlet) Connection.. Factory never tightened the screws
Bad Inlet. in fact I need to replace mine.
Bad Transfer Switrch (Mine was replaced)
I do not have the surge guard and so far my autoformer has not failed.

I do have a portable surge guard. and yes it has failed.

jymbee said:
(mindful that I'm quite challenged when it comes to all things electrical)

Given that, this may not be a good DIY job for you as it involves testing voltages on exposed high voltage terminals.

If you can locate the transfer switch you can probably get one off Amazon for about $250 and have it installed by a mobile tech in an hour

Arch Hoagland said:
Do you have a "Salesman switch" by the entry door?  It will shut off all power.

I have mine taped to the "ON" position.

1st, it's not the salesman switch. Salesman switch only controls SOME 12-volt power.  Being a battery switch it is controlling 12 volts. Not a 12 volt issue as the generator is 120 volts. The so-called salesman switch will not disconnect all 12-volt loads. Only the battery disconnect switch does that

Back2PA said:
Given that, this may not be a good DIY job for you as it involves testing voltages on exposed high voltage terminals.

If you can locate the transfer switch you can probably get one off Amazon for about $250 and have it installed by a mobile tech in an hour

Good point re. a DIY project given my lack of expertise. Looking more closely the female end of he power cord that connects to the coach may be suspect. It is a bit "frayed" for the lack of a better term. The shielding is not solidly connected to the physical plug and some of the wires are visible. We bought the coach this summer and this cord has worked without issue but I suppose it's possible that while connected something came loose.

I have a pretty simple AC circuit tester and it shows power is coming out of the pedestal and there is power where connected to the coach but perhaps it's just not making connection. Would prefer at this point to think it's something that simple!

In any event, I have a call in to my electrician who should be able to check it for me. Appreciate all the input from folks here.

call an electrician. it could be as simple as a $15 part in a control circuit.

Check your shore power cable. I had the same thing happen. One of the wires in the shore power cable had come loose from the contact in the female end of the cord. It had been arcing and melted part of the internal insulation. I was glad the power went out so I could find the problem before fire broke out. I replaced the plug and all was well. I check the wiring regularly now.

No ,it has to do with no power to coach. Inverter reset buttons have nothing to do with shore power fail
I don't know what you are talking about

The Inverter breakers is still a good suggestion.. HOW is he determining that no power is being passed to coach. OUTLETS are often inverter driven as are Televisions and Microwaves.. Air Conditioners are not often engaged in late december so he might not have tested them.

I have selected outlets that have power indicator lights in them.
Like this one these.. Well one of them is INVERTER powered the rest are not.

John From Detroit said:
The Inverter breakers is still a good suggestion.. HOW is he determining that no power is being passed to coach. OUTLETS are often inverter driven as are Televisions and Microwaves.. Air Conditioners are not often engaged in late december so he might not have tested them.

I have selected outlets that have power indicator lights in them.
Like this one these.. Well one of them is INVERTER powered the rest are not.

Well... long story short, chalk another one up to user error. I had someone inside checking breakers and was told that all was ok there so I didn't consider that a potential cause. As it turned out, while they all appeared to be set, when we manually just went through and reset all of the breakers-- the power was restored. A combination of relief and embarrassment at the same time to be sure.  :(

By way of a feeble defense I would offer a pic of the cord which I suspected was the main issue. Turned out to have nothing to do with it but at least I gave me incentive to have that end reinforced.

Thanks to all for the input!

Attachments

• 50cord.jpg
    50cord.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 55
jymbee said:
Well... long story short, chalk another one up to user error. I had someone inside checking breakers and was told that all was ok there so I didn't consider that a potential cause. As it turned out, while they all appeared to be set, when we manually just went through and reset all of the breakers-- the power was restored. A combination of relief and embarrassment at the same time to be sure.  :(

By way of a feeble defense I would offer a pic of the cord which I suspected was the main issue. Turned out to have nothing to do with it but at least I gave me incentive to have that end reinforced.

Thanks to all for the input!

Don't feel bad.
As an electrician, all I do is mobile/modular home service. I've driven lots of miles on service calls where "the switch doesn't work", just to tell the customer the light bulb is bad. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom