Inflatable kayaks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J32952

Lots of plans in the coming year and hope to bend rods often.  New to RV, not ready to tow the boat (gads, can?t even imagine using a ramp) and visiting places more suitable to canoes or yaks.  Can?t fiqure where to put either on the MH...so, thinking about an inflatable.
  Who uses and suggestions for what models/ brands.  Think two people, calm streams.
Thanks in advance.

We have a 14ft sea eagle, it's great. Easy to set up, use and take down. I will dig out more info. We got it online and the company were fantastic and it came with a 3 year, i think, warranty and at a good price.

I have one in my attic...a Sharper Image inflatable that my DW had bought before I ever even met her...a two man boat.  We took it out once.  I don't remember exactly what sort of keel or skeg it has, but the thing didn't track worth anything.  Th thing is probably shot now, all these years in the attic....
I used to do a lot of paddling in my Wilderness systems plastic fla****er boat.  It's nothing special but lightyears better than that inflatable.  I'd say that thing is good for kids or goofing around in a little pond, but no good for any traveling or even semi-serious paddling.  Other kinds might be better though.

Here are some solutions
https://www.glrv.com/parts-accessories/vertiyak-kayak-rack/
or
https://www.rvkayakracks.com/

Inflatables certainly are convenient, but it is simply not possible to build an efficient hull shape in an inflatable boat. If you will be pulling a toad, put roof racks on it and get some rigid hulled kayaks.

Joel

My wife and I purchased onAmazon a 3-man Sevylor inflatable earlier this year and love it. It has a tough bladder and even tougher canvas skin; I have no concerns about it standing up to our regular use. On the water, it tracks well and is quite comfortable. Of course, if you want a comfortable boat for two adults, be sure to buy one spec'd for three!

I always trail a fishing lure behind us and always catch trout. It's not real fishing, I suppose, and more like just harvesting. No matter, tastes the same to me.

We like you currently are limited in space so we elected to buy an inflatable https://www.amazon.com/ADVANCED-ELEMENTS-AdvancedFrame-Convertible-Inflatable/dp/B000J2O5VE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1545483531&sr=8-2&keywords=advanced+elements+tandem+kayak.  They also make the same version in a single if that is your preference.  This has been a very nice kayak and surprised me how well for an inflatable it performs.  It sets up easily and quickly, is very stable and tracks reasonably well.

^^ That Advanced Elements "hybrid" inflatable is what we have, and we love it. Works GREAT for camping since it doesn't require separate equipment (i.e. roof rack) or space for transport/storage. It is long and rigid enough to track quite well in my experience, with a hull shape that seems pretty efficient to me (per Joel's comment above). We found ours gently used, advertised locally on Craiglist... I think I paid about half of what they cost new.

I've never fished from ours, but it has plenty of room inside (and elastic retention straps on the outer body) that seems like it would work for that purpose. Although a "sit on top" style may be better for fishing than a "sit in" kayak, which doesn't allow you to rotate around quite as much.

jackiemac said:
We have a 14ft sea eagle, it's great. Easy to set up, use and take down. I will dig out more info. We got it online and the company were fantastic and it came with a 3 year, i think, warranty and at a good price.
:))

I carry a cheapie explorer k2...2 person and my 2 dogs fit as well. Good for the price.
https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Explorer-Yellow-Inflatable-Aluminum/dp/B00IT0HGBY/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1545510301&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=intex+explorer+k2+kayak+2-person+inflatable&dpPl=1&dpID=41yKB-iMMLL&ref=plSrch

just ordered 370SE pro Sea Eagle.  Good reviews and inexpensive enough that if wife doesn't enjoy, no problem.  (Got a perfectly great Hobie in the backyard I used a dozen times the first month, then it has sat.. and a nice canoe that only gets used when grandkids here...)  I'll set it up at home, give it a short test ride and I think our first real use will be our planned Feb. rv trip.  Thanks for feedback folks.

Not exactly an inflatable but I used a 8ft Bass Raider "Ram" plastic boat for several years (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pelican-Bass-Raider-8-Mini-Pontoon-Fishing-Boat/8187896). It rode standing up on a bumper rack on the back of the 5er.  It could accommodate two people but I solo fished in it with an electric trolling motor on one end and a gas 5 horse on the other.  It could handle some waves and strong winds being near impossible to sink.

I also carried a 14ft canoe inside for a while but it made using the dinette a bit crowded, however if you did not need to eat on the way to the lake it was a good place to carry the boat, rods, etc.

We have an Advanced Elements inflatable tandem. We like it a lot. Stores in a bay, easy to set up. We did add s stiffener.

I'm able to fit my kayak in smallish Thune pod on the roof. Since it drafts behind the air conditioner, I don't think it's too much of a wind drag. It's nice to always have it with me.

check out the Hobie line of inflatables.  lots to choose from.  the mirage (peddle) dive units are unique, and steering is done with a simple knob.

they are expensive, but they are also durable and well built.

I have a Hobie mirage (non inflatable).  Love the hands free, it?s fast, due to pedals doesn?t get into really skinny water..not a good solution for our travels as want 2 people (yes they do make) and can?t fiqure how to put in/on RV.  At least for a first travel yak, I went inexpensive. 

No expectations any blow up will perform like Hobie.  But can?t fiqure how to putthe Hobie in MH (no Toad). Plus this is for two people, lazy river runs.  Different application.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom