Toy Hauler Conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LSFOG

Folks I am a new comer to your forum with a puzzel.
I just bought a 10 year old Citation 23 foot 5th wheel.
It's in absoloute perfict condition dang near factory....
My only glitch is I would dearly love to bring my 660 Grizzley ATV along.
In Alberta here we can "B" train but darn few other places allow it.
My question is --- is it feasable / reasonable to open up a quad door in the
rear.
I would have to sacrifice the built in dinnet and a small portion of the counter
and the rear window would have to be infilled.
Recommendatios, suggestions, or laughter all graciousely accepted. AND thanks    Ken

JMO  Buy a unit capable of doing what you want to use it for.  Customizing  a unit can get very expensive and then not do the job, especially if it wasn't setup to do that job in the 1st place.  JMO but to each his or her own.

I am agreement with Shayne. I is a shame to tear up a good rig by attempting to modifying for something else for which it was not originally designed.

You could get a device that attaches to the rear of the camper that will carry a quad or a motorcycle, then you will not have to modify your 5er.

That again would not be  a choice I would make.  The back end of a camper is not designed to handle a quad of any sort.  Besides it throws the balance of a unit completely out of kilter.  Personally I would never use the back of a camper for anything but a bike or step ladder attached to the camper ladder.  JMO  But others may do foolish things.

More than a shame, such a conversion may not work.  Purpose-built toy haulers have beefed up frames and are balanced to take a load aft of the axles.   My guess is that when you finished your 'conversion', you would wind up with a weak framed toyhauler that would be unstable in towing.  The problems of weight behind the axles and frame strength will  also affect attempts to hang a motorcycle from the rear bumper of the trailer.

If you want a toy hauler, buy a toy hauler.

The carrier I saw had a rear wheel under it, so I guess that would keep it from adding a lot of weight to the rear. I do not know if it was homemade or not, it was on the back of a Montana hauling a Harley yesterday going down I-95. We bought a toy hauler to have the extra room in the back and sometimes carry a 4 wheeler and other hunting gear, I think you would be much happier with that, after having that extra space, I could not imagine travelling without it. It would be like going back to a single cab pickup after having an extended cab.

Thanks for the sanity check folks.
I guess I will just have to start stuffing the penny bank '''' again''''.
Ken

Back
Top Bottom