Converter ?cooking??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DougH57

I bought a used TT, 2002 Conquest (Gulfstream). Long story short I plugged the TT into shore power w/o a battery, burned out a number of light bulbs. Installed a Walmart Deep Cycle Marine battery and replaced the burned out light bulbs and everything seems fine. However using a digital multimeter I see the light receptacles are getting about 18v. Where power is coming into the fuse panel I am also getting 18+ v. At the battery I am getting 16v. All these readings seem high to me. Anyone?s thought? The converter is a Magnetek 7345. Thanks for any guidance.

Sounds like a failing converter, that voltage is too high and will cook your new battery

The other possibility is that the voltage at the shore power outlet is too high.  The 7345 will produce DC voltage in roughly proportion to the AC input voltage. Make sure that wasn't a 220/240v outlet!

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The other possibility is that the voltage at the shore power outlet is too high.  The 7345 will produce DC voltage in roughly proportion to the AC input voltage. Make sure that wasn't a 220/240v outlet!

No it won't.  The 6300 series converters were not regulated and would produce voltage in proportion to the AC input.  The 7345 is an electronically regulated switching converter and will hold a constant output voltage over a fairly wide range of AC input voltages.

18 volts will make 12 volt light bulbs burn very bright.  Are your bulbs doing this?

If you are actually seeing 18 volts out of a 7345 converter, it's broken.  Parallax bought Magnetek several years ago, I don't know if they service the older units.

If you're electronically inclined, here's a discussion from 2011 where a member was able to repair his 7345 converter.  His problem was a capacitor on the circuit board failed and let the 38 KHz switching voltage pass through to the DC output.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=49577.0

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom