No lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robd3035

I have a 2008 keystone passport ultra lite I have it parked at our property and we use it to stay in. I have been using with electric only no battery. My lights quit working so I bought a new battery and tried that but it didn?t help. Lights seem to be intermittent. Work sometimes. Any ideas?

Welcome Rob
Sorry your having these issues. Just a few questions to better understand the problem.
Are the lights the only thing that are not working?
Are the 120 volt plugs working?
Do any of the other 12 volt items work when the lights quit working? ( exhaust fans, Blower on heater)

The 110 outlets work the microwave works I haven?t checked everything but I think the furnace blower does not work seems to be the 12 volt

Not the expert on this but here goes,

I would start at the power center. Check and make sure all connections are tight.  You should have a 12 volt master fuse(s) remove and check and re-install. Check your connections going to and from your converter.

If you have a power meter and know how to use it. You can start checking for power at various points.

Meanwhile others with greater knowledge may come along to help.

I have checked the fuses and flipped all the breakers.  We usually go to the camper on the weekends so I will bring the meter when I go and start checking for power the thing that throws me off is I may go down  and the lights will work and then the next time I go they will not work 

Also we have had instances where we will be in there the lights go out and then everything kicks back on within a couple minutes

It sounds like the power center is cutting off..The question is why.

It could be a bad connection or it may be the power converter is going out.

Next time your out there. try and get as much information off the converter.

Of course when you show up  with your test meter it will work just fine.

Could it be the "salesman switch" usually just inside the entry. Or it could be the large relay operated by that switch to control most or all of the 12V circuits.

Ernie

A camper has 2 nearly independent electrical systems.  A 12 VDC system (battery) powers MOST lights, slide outs, power tongue jacks, the furnace, and control circuits for the water heater and fridge.  A 120 VAC (shore power) system powers A/C, microwave, and 120 V receptacles.  It also powers a converter which charges the batteries and provides 12 V power in the absence of the battery.

A fully charged battery, NOT connected to a charger / converter should measure 12.6 V. 
If a charger / converter is connected and functioning, the battery should measure 13.5 V or more.
Since the battery and converter are connected together, measuring voltage at the power center feed to the fuses should be the same as measuring at the battery, and more convenient.  When the lights go off, check the voltage there.  If there is power at the power center, then work out from there.

I only had time to stop in for a minute my last two trips to camper but no power either time everything 12volt is out.  Since I ran with no battery for about 3 1/2 years was overworking my converter?

Robd3035 said:
I only had time to stop in for a minute my last two trips to camper but no power either time everything 12volt is out.  Since I ran with no battery for about 3 1/2 years was overworking my converter?

My first thought is No you did not overwork the converter. However you could have something in the TT that is causing the converter to shut down to protect itself.
My approach would be;
Unplug from 120 source and disconnect battery
Pull all the 12 volt fuses ( Note where they go..Maybe take a picture for reference)
Let everything sit for 5 min. to reset...While waiting check voltage on Battery...Should be between 12 / 12.6 volts
Reconnect 120 volts and check converter for any signs of life.
Replace a(1) fuse and check if that item is working..I would suggest the fuse for the lights.
If working then proceed inserting 1 at a time and checking as you go.

If you insert 1 and things shut down then you know were to look.
If nothing works from the start you may have a bad converter.

But remember I'm not the expert on this site so others may offer better ideas.

You also may want to take a battery charger with you on your return in case your battery is dead. you may be able to charge it and at least get some power until you figure out the converter.

When shore power is present, the converter provides all 12v power regardless of whether a battery in physically present or not.  Your converter "works" just as much either way.
Since neither the converter nor the new battery are able to deliver power to the 12v circuits, the problem is in the distribution system. If you have a battery disconnect (aka 12v main) switch, it may have been switched off or the solenoid may have failed, taking out all 12v power. Or there may be a main 12v fuse in the power panel that is blown.  Please describe the 12v power panel in your trailer, e.g. is it integrated with the 120v breakers and the converter/charger, or do you have separate panels for fuses somewhere?  Is there a 12v main or battery disconnect switch in the RV?

No, you did not "wear out" the converter.

There are two primary reasons a converter suddenly quits working.  1.  It died.  2.  There is a gross overload or direct short, so it turns itself off for self preservation.

As Gizmo said, pull all fuses and turn off all power for a few minutes to allow for a reset.  Can you measure power at the fuse panel power in?  If no power, go to the converter itself.  Disconnect the 12V wires and check voltage at that point.  If none, check for fuses on the converter.  If they are good, the converter is likely toast.

If you have power from the converter, then figure out where the short is.  Note also that not all 12V loads go through the fuse box.  Some items, like break away break switch, slide outs and tongue jacks are often wired directly from the battery with in line fuses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom