California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A great thing about living in Silicone Valley is only higher income people can afford to live there. 

My PHD brother in law was renting an smaller old house for $8,200 a month rent. 

He looked for over a year and he was thrilled to find a fairly nearby suburban 60's ranch house on a 2 year lease for only $7,600 per month.

???

I lived in Santa Cruz from 1960 to 1999.  The only thing I miss is access to my friend's machine shop.

And I thought rents were tough here. WOW :eek: I loved visiting California, well except for the I-5 south of Redding, and want to see more but too darn hot aand expensive to live there year round.

Tom and Margi said:
Years ago cheap humor focused on ethnic jokes.  Now that that is considered politically incorrect, people with an underdeveloped sense of humor just substitute "California" and continue telling pretty much the same jokes.

:)) :)) :))

We lived in Californa (Bay area then Sacramento) until 1991 when we relocated to WA state. Now retired and full time RV travelers we spend a lot of time on the West Coast and probably six months or so a year from Pismo Beach to Palm Springs.

Yes there are many problems with the state and I sure would not want to be working and traveling in SOCAL but the weather from the beaches to the desert is great for us. Lots of pickle ball and minimal rain which the PNW has a ton of. Politically the state gets more progressive with each election. Not sure how thats going to play out long term, but I think there is a day of reckoning coming for the state at some point. Housing costs are astronomical and I just don't se how many can afford it. I know we couldn't but RVing makes it very easy.

Tom and Margi said:
Years ago cheap humor focused on ethnic jokes.  Now that that is considered politically incorrect, people with an underdeveloped sense of humor just substitute "California" and continue telling pretty much the same jokes.

I'll disagree with the 'ethnic' part of this analogy...

but I do believe most people think 'California' is the politically correct way of saying 'Liberal'.    ;)

sightseers said:
I'll disagree with the 'ethnic' part of this analogy...
My dictionary defines ethnic as being "of, relating to, or characteristic of a sizable group of people sharing a common and distinctive racial, national, religious, linguistic, or cultural heritage."  I'm old enough to remember when there were tons of Polish, Italian, Chinese, Mexican, Indian and Japanese jokes.  They weren't funny then, either.

Born in Ca and living most of 60+ years there I  can say with authority that Ca has the best year around weather in the country. But, I am not the only one that has discovered that. The population has exploded, and everywhere is crowded now days.  But with the population comes change. Some good, some not.

Having spent 20 years RVing back and forth across the country, there is a lot to like about almost anywhere in the country at the right time of year.  But this is all a matter of preference. Some people love snow and winter sports, and others must bake in the desert in August.  You can do it all in some part of Ca. 

And the diversity here is everywhere. Some love it, some don't. I left Ca (twice now) for personal reasons. Will I ever come back? I don't know. But I do like to visit from time to time.

Tom and Margi said:
  I'm old enough to remember when there were tons of Polish, Italian, Chinese, Mexican, Indian and Japanese jokes.  They weren't funny then, either.

And so am I...    today in California the joke is on a different "ethnic" group....  8)

I now know how they all felt when you don't speak the language and people make fun of you.

SargeW said:
And the diversity here is everywhere. Some love it, some don't.

the word 'Diversity'... has morphed into the politically correct term for a very noticeable ethnic change.  ... ;D

I have a friend whose public school daughter was doing poorly in some classes.. So my friend went to school with his daughter to find out why.

it ends up much of her class room instructions were not in English.

Diversity  :)) :)) yay !

Many "natives" (other than American Indians) are leaving California.  We now live in Oregon and have for eleven years (after 10 years full-timing).  We claim dual citizenship with both states, if you will.  Tom's ancestors came west on wagon trains:  his father's over Donner Pass into Sacramento in 1849 and his mother's into Oregon City soon after.  My ancestors arrived from Pennsylvania to the oil patch by train in 1910.  To say that we have seen many changes and witnessed many increases in "diversity" would be an understatement.
California has one of the most divergent climates and is one of the most scenic areas in which to live.  Many of the changes we "natives" have not liked, but tried to adjust to, have come from "outsiders" -- both within the US and from outside the country. Even tho we now live out of state (for personal reasons) I still become incensed when people casually criticize the state as if all of it's inhabitants were of one mind.

Utclmjmpr said:
I lived in SOCAL for 27 years and raised two kids,, the best days were getting out of there, and even then San Berdoo county kept after me for "made up " business taxes that were wrongly assest against me.>>>Dan

Obviously the city was unfair to you.  Can't imagine what went wrong but there is no doubt in my mind that you were screwed.  And it had to be bigly.  Because even after 27 years, you haven't gotten over it. 

JoelP said:
When I left Washington State for a job here in Silicon Valley my wife said that this would be a 5 year gig, tops.  Now she says she will only leave here feet first.  Frankly, CA is not for everyone.  There are pluses and minuses to every place I have lived, but I can say that CA has been fine for me.
History tells us that things can change,.....The mighty city of Detroit once had the highest quality of life in all America.

maddog348 said:
Marge ~~  1949 OR 1849  I been out here ~ KernCo ~ since early 1943 train from Iowa  ~~~Kate
Typo:  1849.  Thanks, I corrected it in my post.  It was actually Sutter's Fort.  Sacramento didn't exist yet.

garyb1st said:
Why is that unfortunate?

all your eggs in one basket.

(ie).....The mighty city of Detroit once had the highest quality of life in all America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom