Landing Gear Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MtnGoat

Just noticed that there is a two inch extended difference between the two jacks. During our last trip we had a problem disconnecting and "dropped" the trailer off the fifth wheel. I've inspected the jack and its mounts. Mounts on both sides are equal and no shifting or damage is noted. The only difference is the amount of extension as driven by the jack motor.

So my question is, am I looking at replacing the jacks due to internal damage? Or is there enough internal clearances to allow some slippage when overloaded?

That sounds normal to me. The landing gear legs are supposed to extend to different lengths to accommodate uneven ground and still level the trailer side-to-side. Some are driven with separate motors and extend as needed, while others use a common motor & shaft with manual mechanical adjustments to each leg. Some combine both methods.

Sounds like they may be out of time a little but that's no big deal because you always pull the pin and let the extension part drop down to the ground. That makes the legs even. You could probably re-time them but I wouldn't bother.  If you wanted to adjust them, just hook up to the truck and take the weight off the legs. Then disconnect the cross shaft. Then turn the cross shaft with a pair of pliers/wrench clockwise or counterclockwise till it's even with the other leg.

Rene T said:
Sounds like they may be out of time a little but that's no big deal because you always pull the pin and let the extension part drop down to the ground. That makes the legs even. You could probably re-time them but I wouldn't bother.  If you wanted to adjust them, just hook up to the truck and take the weight off the legs. Then disconnect the cross shaft. Then turn the cross shaft with a pair of pliers/wrench clockwise or counterclockwise till it's even with the other leg.

Or use the motor after disconnecting the cross bar to bring the powered leg even with the other.  (I'm lazy :) )

-Chak

That's pretty much what I guessed about equalizing the powered extensions.

My concerns are if this "shift" has damaged the gear or worm drive in that leg.
And if I should replace both legs vs just the one side.

Look at a few you tube videos on landing gear replacement.  They show how they work and will help you decide whether or not a replacement is needed.  One other option is to buy the replacement, but delay installation until this one fails.

As the videos show, the two slip modes are the worm gears at the top, which are often replaceable, or somehow a failure - jumping on the main threaded rod, which would be fatal, IMHO.

I found a video that showed the slippage of the worn worm gear. Yep that was the sound I heard that night.
Two new Strombergs on order. SHouldn't be a big hassle to replace those. I hope....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom