Can Bus Systems Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gizmo

Many newer units are coming equipped with a Can Bus system of some sort.  I would like to know with Can Bus equipped rigs are there any special needs, considerations or requirements when adding accessories, for example a solar charge controller, inverter or a 12v device?  Thanks

There can be no real answer to that without discussing some particular CAN bus implementation.  It's a generic term for a peer-to-peer protocol that allows multiple intelligent controllers to communicate, but often its just for engine & dashboard devices. Others may join controllers for "house" functions, e.g. lighting, shades or curtains, or whatever.

In general, battery charging systems and the like are independent, i.e. they feed the batteries. And inverters just draw power from batteries. As long as power is maintained in the normal operating limits for 12v battery systems, nothing on a Can Bus (or any other bus protocol) is going to care.

I don't know what a "CAN Bus" is.  However Victronics components, inverter/charger, solar controller will communicate to one central remote via bluetooth I believe.

"Can Bus" is a standard wired LAN communications protocol defined especially to meet the needs of  vehicle systems.  It is widely used to enable dashboard displays to read the data stream provided by the engine and transmission controllers, which typically share a Can Bus, and is increasingly being used to enable other smart devices to see and share data or send commands to each other.

I expect that some day there will be more standardized interfaces so that devices like inverter/chargers and control centers can be made "plug 'n play", but right now most components utilize their own private messages and commands, even if they are sent in packets over the Can Bus. Think of it as writing coded messages and posting them on a public bulletin board - others can see them but have no idea what they mean.

AStravelers said:
I don't know what a "CAN Bus" is.  However Victronics components, inverter/charger, solar controller will communicate to one central remote via bluetooth I believe.
Typical electronic communications in vehicles (CAN Bus is a major form) don't typically use bluetooth, other than for "smart" phones, etc. and were around long before bluetooth existed. Gary's posts have lots more detail.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom