RV battery charger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Journee

Wanting to get a portable multi stage battery charger to have in the RV. Anyone have recommendations? Willing to spend up to $100. We have a class A and want to keep the batteries in good condition.

Is there something wrong with the charger already installed in the RV?

You won?t find a good multi-stage charger for only $100.

I carry a cheapo Schumacher 6/12 charger I bought many years ago.

I'll use it to charge my engine battery when I forget to use the battery disconnect switch while it is not in use.

I used it a lot on a trip where my toad alternator died when we were on a trip 3,000 miles from home. That was one of those bad trips where if something could go wrong, it did.

I don't use it at all on my two 6 volt house batteries but I suppose in a pinch I could. I think I would disconnect my two six volt batteries and charge them individually though.

The older Class A's may not have come with a "quality multi-stage battery charger - they weren't widely installed at the factory until around 2004 or so (depending on brand & model).

You can get a multi-stage battery maintainer/chargers for around $90 or so but it won't have enough amp capacity to more than hold a battery to full charge. If left long enough, it will recharge any battery, but a charger with enough amps to charge fairly quickly will be $200 or so. Here's a 1.25A, dual port, maintenance charger:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NCOKV0/

What are you trying to achieve with this charger?  Is it in lieu of using the onboard charge system, or an addition to it?  Just an accessory for storage, or for regular use after boondocking (batteries heavily discharged).  Please tells us more to get a worthwhile recommendation.

Though I agree with Gary.. OLDER and low end units might not have a quality multi-stage
(By the way my recommendation is always Progressive Dynamics 9200 for stand alone or 4600 for replacement of an intergrated converter distribution panel) they are also a bit more than 100 dollars.

I have a Very nice Deltran Battery Tender. it is ALMOST a multi stage in that it has 3 modes two of which need to be invoked manually

Jump start (Never used yet) up to 70 amps
BOOST  (Oh did I ever use that) 20 amps
Maintain 1-2 amps

It will auto-switch from boost to Maintain (Default) as I understand  but you have to invoke  faster charge manually.

There are others that will switch back and forth.  And at the 35 amp or 45 amp level 100 would be.. Well. within range.

Camping world of all places has a 9245 for 150 dollars.... Only 1 1/2 your desired price range.

Add some battery leads (Cut a pair of jumper cables or use starter cable) and you got the best smart charger made.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom