Weird sound from Atwood Water heater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill and Debbie

Just a quick post this Christmas day. Have noticed the past few weeks that there is a strange "sound" coming from the water heater when hot water is being used. Just had the electric element replaced 8 weeks ago. Totally quiet until hot waters turned on inside the coach. Any ideas?

strange "sound" is kind of vague..Maybe you could describe the sound.

kdbgoat said:
If it's kind of a squealing sound, it's normal.

Not sure if that a statement or a question.

When you changed the electric element, Did you flush out any sediment that may have been on the bottom of the tank?

As I recall this can cause a squealing sound when the tank is in heating mode.

THe electric element can be quite hot when cold water touches it it can indeed make noise. as the element ages and "Cruds up" this is reduced.

ANother posibility is a check valve. if you have a SINGLE VALVE bypass system you have a check valve. if you have a 2 or 3 valve system you do not NEED one but may still have it. these can "Whine" at low volume

And if you have Atwoods 10 gallon heater in a six gallon hole. it has a mixing valve that can make noise.

Is the sound coming from the w/h or is it coming from the faucet? 
My bathroom sink faucet makes a fairly loud whining noise at a certain(rather low)flow rate.  Open the valve just a skosh and the noise goes away. 
The rest of the faucets in the coach don't do this.

Old_Crow said:
Is the sound coming from the w/h or is it coming from the faucet? 
My bathroom sink faucet makes a fairly loud whining noise at a certain(rather low)flow rate.  Open the valve just a skosh and the noise goes away. 
The rest of the faucets in the coach don't do this.

I have the same issue with my shower. It makes a very high pitch sound but what's strage, it's not all the time.

So, yes the water heater (a 10 gal) was flushed with the new electric element install. The sound is hard to describe...not low nor high pitched. Maybe a mid level metallic growling sound and ONLY when demand is placed to provide hot water. No sound at all with cold. Can not hear it when inside using shower or faucets. Just when outside and have not heard it before in 3 years of ownership until a few weeks ago and about two months after heater repair. Color me puzzled. ??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom