pilot light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenyeta

Hello,

I am new to RVing and recently purchased a 2002 thor four winds camper. I am having difficulty finding the pilot light on and off switch. Any help with this or any other corks of this particular rv would be appreciated.

Thank you

The refrigerator, the water heater, the furnace, and the oven may, or may not have pi8lot lights. If the do, there may or may not be an on/off switch specific to the pilot light.

What in particular are y0u looking for. The make and model of the particular appliance will be helpful.

Joel

I'm trying to figure out how to get the water heater working. I know where the switch is for this and how to light the stove but I am unclear as to weather or not I have to light a pilot light or not

Here is what I think is the furnace. I think the stove is an Atwood wedgewood vision.

Attachments

• 20181225_1545372.jpg
    20181225_1545372.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 35
That's your Water Heater
No pilot...It has a electronic ignition. You should be able to just flip a switch inside and it burns until the water has reached the preset temperature.

Thank everyone so much for the information. Do I just turn the stove on as usual or do I need to flip a switch or use a flame?

Gizmo100 said:
That's your Water Heater
No pilot...It has a electronic ignition. You should be able to just flip a switch inside and it burns until the water has reached the preset temperature.

Just make sure the water heater is full of water first.

kdbgoat said:
Just make sure the water heater is full of water first.

Good point,,,,Either connect to water or fill your water tank. Run water at ALL points to flush out all the air. (Both Hot and Cold). Then you should be able to check your Water heater.

kenyeta said:
Thank everyone so much for the information. Do I just turn the stove on as usual or do I need to flip a switch or use a flame?

Our stove top has a knob that you can rotate to ignite the burner or you can use a lighter.

The oven is a little more complicated. Do you have a oven?

I tried to ignite the burner by turning the knob but nothing happen. Yes I have an oven. How do I know if the water heater is full. I know the meter thing tells me that the water tank is full.

kenyeta said:
I tried to ignite the burner by turning the knob but nothing happen. Yes I have an oven. How do I know if the water heater is full. I know the meter thing tells me that the water tank is full.

We will start with the stove.
When lighting the stove you have to purge out air that maybe trapped in the gas lines. You do this by turning on a stove burner and attempting to lite the burner with a lighter or using the igniter. The igniter should produce a small spark at each burner. It may take a few seconds to purge to air out of the line.

Now on to the water heater
You will need to run the hot water at your faucets until you you get all water and no air. I recommend doing this at ALL the faucets including the showers (indoor and outdoor if you have an outdoor shower). Once you have purged all water lines of air the water heater should be full.

Lighting the oven
I found a link that contains instructions from other members
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,20917.msg200819.html#msg200819

Gizmo100 said:
You will need to run the hot water at your faucets until you you get all water and no air. I recommend doing this at ALL the faucets including the showers (indoor and outdoor if you have an outdoor shower). Once you have purged all water lines of air the water heater should be full.

That is about 99% correct. Your tank could still be empty even if you're getting water out of all the hot water faucets. The piping for the water heater may be in bypass mode. The only way to really check is to open the valve located at the top right hand corner. This is your temp/pressure relief. If you flip the lever and get a huge gush of water out of the valve then the tank is full and it will be safe to start the heater.

Rene T said:
That is about 99% correct. Your tank could still be empty even if you're getting water out of all the hot water faucets. The piping for the water heater may be in bypass mode. The only way to really check is to open the valve located at the top right hand corner. This is your temp/pressure relief. If you flip the lever and get a huge gush of water out of the valve then the tank is full and it will be safe to start the heater.

Rene...You are correct...I humbly bow down to you Sir...And the 99% was very kind of you...I would have given myself 92%

The water heater in the picture has electronic spark ignition, but the gas valve looks more like a pilot model (note the round knob on top). Please identify the heater model number - it should be on that sticker on the right side of the heater body.  Just want to be sure we know what you have, in case further questions arise concerning it.

The White Rogers valve was used in older pilot-type heaters and there is a different model of gas valve that is used with DSI.  It might still have been made by White Rogers, but it's not the large W-R valve pictured in that document in the gas pilot section.  In the photo above for electronic ignition models, the gas valve does appear to the same as in kenyeta's photo, so I'm satisfied it is correct.

I apologize for diverting the conversation towards gas valves - that wasn't helpful.

Back
Top Bottom