HOA, zoning restrictions and RVing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnRVAndADog

blw2 said:
funny, we were at Anastasia SP last night.  The 30A outlet was so loose my plug barely stayed in.  I was just about ready to look for something to prop against it to hold it in!  terrible.
I have a sewer cleanout near my driveway I often use like that, but only wish my HOA would allow me to make a pad set up like that!  my dream!
back on track....
I like the idea.  My rig has the small pipe form grey tank, and the grey is on the opposite side of the rig... I've often thought the pipe should be better.  Hey, I could even gain a  it more tank space!

I don't have a HOA to bother with. But I do have wacky County rules. On the plus side, effective 1/18 I was allowed to put the pad in without a permit IF it was 500SqFt or less AND there were absolutely no improvements to it. On the negative side, I asked about using my sewer clean out and was told "No way, you can't use that!" So I said, "Then come out here and remove it. If it's yours then get it off my lawn, if it's mine then I'll use it any damn time I want!" The remainder of that telephone call were not as pleasant...

I wonder if I got a composting toilet that makes poop bricks, then I could use the black tank as an extension for the grey tank and thus double my grey tank capacity?

AnRVAndADog said:
I don't have a HOA to bother with. But I do have wacky County rules. On the plus side, effective 1/18 I was allowed to put the pad in without a permit IF it was 500SqFt or less AND there were absolutely no improvements to it. On the negative side, I asked about using my sewer clean out and was told "No way, you can't use that!" So I said, "Then come out here and remove it. If it's yours then get it off my lawn, if it's mine then I'll use it any damn time I want!" The remainder of that telephone call were not as pleasant...

I wonder if I got a composting toilet that makes poop bricks, then I could use the black tank as an extension for the grey tank and thus double my grey tank capacity?

Our HOA told me I could keep my TT in the driveway during the season. I was asked just recently when I was going to move it. I told them my season wasn?t over. They asked how long my season was. I said Jan-Dec. haven?t heard back yet. I winterize by draining everything and then using compressed air to blow out the pipes. I can be ready to go anytime.
As for the cleanout. Why would you ask if you can use it? Haven?t you learned by now that it?s better to ask for forgiveness than permission. I use the cleanout all the time.

Oldgator73 said:
Our HOA told me I could keep my TT in the driveway during the season. I was asked just recently when I was going to move it. I told them my season wasn?t over. They asked how long my season was. I said Jan-Dec. haven?t heard back yet. I winterize by draining everything and then using compressed air to blow out the pipes. I can be ready to go anytime.
As for the cleanout. Why would you ask if you can use it? Haven?t you learned by now that it?s better to ask for forgiveness than permission. I use the cleanout all the time.

I know, I know... I just don't like any problems...  The Code Enforcement for my county is allegedly "complaint-based," meaning they don't do anything unless they receive a complaint. A day or two after my telephone call with them a Code Enforcement vehicle was slithering around the neighborhood. One neighbor had a pickup camper in the driveway and was asked to move it. Another neighbor had a smallish Class C Winnebago in the driveway (on shore power) and was asked to unplug it and more it.  Crazy...

^^ That's one reason why we live on a ranch in the county, don't even need to pull a permit for a new building - it's sort of the wild west here. We have enough acreage so it doesn't matter what our neighbors do or don't do  :D

John Canfield said:
^^ That's one reason why we live on a ranch in the county, don't even need to pull a permit for a new building - it's sort of the wild west here. We have enough acreage so it doesn't matter what our neighbors do or don't do  :D

How does the town evaluate you for property tax if they don't know you built a 60' X 100' barn????

Good question. When we bought the place we paid the real estate agent $500 to not list the sales price which was her "fine" from the realtor's board for not listing. The appraisal district sent us a letter asking for information about the sales price (which was voluntary) so I ignored it. Told DW "let them figure out what's it worth." It's now a moot point due to my VA disability rating.

John Canfield said:

That?s definitely the way to go!

John Canfield said:
Good question. When we bought the place we paid the real estate agent $500 to not list the sales price which was her "fine" from the realtor's board for not listing. The appraisal district sent us a letter asking for information about the sales price (which was voluntary) so I ignored it. Told DW "let them figure out what's it worth." It's now a moot point due to my VA disability rating.

The sales price has basically nothing to do with what the property is valued at by the town for tax purposes. In my town, they go around every 5 years or so when the town gets re-evaluated by the county and they'll see that I built a barn and I guess then, they would re-evaluate my property and they wouldn't be happy. Not sure if there would be any ramifications for not applying for a permit.  We have to have a permit for just about anything we do and have to pay for the permit.

Oldgator73 said:
I?ve been told if you do not get a permit the city can make you undo the renovation or take down the structure.

You could be right. I wouldn't mind it if it was a 8' X 8' shed but a 60' X 100' barn would be painful.

This is an interesting side discussion, I'm going to split off the zoning and HOA restrictions posts, change the subject, and move it to Under the Shade Tree board.

FYI, you are not required to co-operate with the appraisal district insofar as evaluations are concerned. You can deny access to your property and buildings. BUT, you may really regret it later. (My wife retired as a certified professional appraiser for the state of Texas.) Companies and people who were uncooperative would have a value assigned to their property. They have methods, tables, guidelines, etc for calculating the property values. I can guarantee the assignee will not be happy with the values because they use the highest numbers for the evaluation. Then the fun begins....  when you are not happy with their evaluation, You must protest the evaluation which may involve appeals and going before a review board with proof of lower values. Review boards are filled with people from the community who, by in large, know nothing about appraisal or values but may be under pressure by the taxing authorities to meet certain revenue goals. The board members are advised by a legal staff and appraisal staff. (obviously biased in favor of the appraisal district and taxing authorities). Ultimately the board decides what your value is. Under special circumstances and if you're lucky, you may be permitted a re-appraisal, in which case you will allow the appraiser on your property and give them access to your buildings, inventory, etc. This works basically the same for both real and personal property.

Our home in RI was up for the re-valuation, and the guy wanted to see the upstairs (2nd floor), my wife told him we didn't have one.  He insisted there must be one, so she opened the basement door, pointed to the 2x2 hatch 20' up and told go ahead check it out.  Best to cooperate, and as stated before, if you don't allow they make guesses.

I?ve been told if you do not get a permit the city can make you undo the renovation or take down the structure.
Maybe, but don't leap to conclusions when every jurisdiction has different requirements and different penalties.  Plus they may have different rules for home-owner self-improvements than for commercially done upgrades.  Find out what the rules are for your location.

We had a neighbor a few years ago that built a carport without a permit because he didn't know one was required if there was electrical wiring involved. When the code enforcement officer came by and cited him for no permit, all that happened was a $50 fine and he had to apply for the permit at the standard fee. In our area, if the project is less than $3,000 and doesn't include living space, wiring, or a wood stove/fireplace, no permit is needed. The fine here for building without a permit is scaled against the value of the project with a $5,000 cap.

Our county uses overhead satellite pictures to check for unpermitted construction. They always seem to find a way to get their money.

Rene T said:
The sales price has basically nothing to do with what the property is valued at by the town for tax purposes. In my town, they go around every 5 years or so when the town gets re-evaluated by the county and they'll see that I built a barn and I guess then, they would re-evaluate my property and they wouldn't be happy. 
Reminds of a time when we lived in Arkansas and the city sent an appraiser around every 5 years to evaluate any changes and reappraise the house.  That had just been done when we moved in and I added a sunroom in our first year but just before the reappraisal in year 5 an ice storm toppled a huge oak tree onto the sun room and it was totally removed before the appraiser guy came by.  No change in appraisal.......LOL

Bill

Our township requires a permit for projects costing over $1000.  There is no time specified, so we don't know if that is per year or what, so any project I do will cost $999 repeated as often as necessary.

The sales price has basically nothing to do with what the property is valued at by the town for tax purposes.

Here in Montreal, it has everything to do with sales prices. The valuations are based on the recent sales and they are re-evaluated every 3 years. They are not the true sale value but based on an average of recent sales.

Our winter home property in Collier County FL is also based on the sale value of the property as recorded during the registering of the sale but was also  re-valuated during the  slump in property values several years ago in our area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom