How long does propane last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
grashley said:
ZIPLOCK:

A 30A power supply gives you exactly that - 30 A.  Typical electric heaters draw about 12 A, or over ⅓ of the available power.  If you are using an electric water heater, the microwave and a hair dryer at the same time, you will trip the breaker!  Use any two, and you should be okay.

Just for further clarification, heat-producing or heat-moving appliances are the major electricity users.  Room heaters, water heater, microwave, coffee makers, hair dryers, air conditioners, etc. typically use about 10-15 amps each.

Everything else - your lights, TV, stereo, fans, etc. don't use enough power to worry about.  Maybe 5 amps total out of the 30 or 100 (2x50) amps that are available.

Thanks.  Sometimes an appliance mentions watts, but not the amps.  Like those heaters are 1500 watts, and I search all over the box it came in and the  product itself and can't find any amp  information.

Divide the rated watts by 120 volts (or 12 volts if on battery power). So your 1500 watt appliance uses 12.5 amps.

This is valid for heat producing appliances, but for appliances with a hefty motor, ir gets more complicated, because the current and the vltage are not in phase.

Joel

jymbee said:
Yep, as you can see I've been caught w/ my # vs. gallons mixup.  Good point re. the bay/storage not benefiting from a heat source such as a ceramic. Also I do plan to keep pretty detailed records of all expenses in order to understand just what costs are involved and what to expect with regard to propane usage and such.

Looks like the overnight lows by the end of this week and beginning of next at our first destination (Columbus, OH) will be as low as 23 one night-- IF you can believe the weather forecast. Headed south after that so just trying to decide whether it would be safe to de-winterize in OH, or wait until we get further south with somewhat warmer temps. Next stop Nashville and even there they're saying overnight lows will be upper 20s for the first part of that stay.

Once you move into your coach you should be fine. Once the heat is on you shouldn't have a problem. Fill your on board water tank and store the hose inside. This way it is flexible when you want to use it. The same with the sewer hose (you don't need to keep it inside  ;)) don't leave it hooked up only hook up when you want to dump. You would be surprised at what a pain one of those sewer hoses is with a couple inches of ice inside. So unhook it and store it when not in use.
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
Once you move into your coach you should be fine. Once the heat is on you shouldn't have a problem. Fill your on board water tank and store the hose inside. This way it is flexible when you want to use it. The same with the sewer hose (you don't need to keep it inside  ;)) don't leave it hooked up only hook up when you want to dump. You would be surprised at what a pain one of those sewer hoses is with a couple inches of ice inside. So unhook it and store it when not in use.
Bill

Yep, that's just what I plan on doing. Relief to know I don't really need to keep sewer hose inside .  ;D

Gordiegaffer said:
watts to amps 8.3 amps per 1000 watts easier if you think 10 amps per thousand.
That's only true at 120 volts. It's not true at 110 V, 240 V or 12V, or any other voltage except 120 V. This is a handicap if you're working on chassis systems or RV lighting systems, for example. So the Watts = Volts X Amps formula is much more general.

grashley said:
Watts = Volts X Amps
Volts = Watts / Amps
Amps = Watts / Volts

I'll  keep reading this thread...................and  comparing notes.

Can someone sum it all up?

I make sure we have electrical connections and we use space heaters as needed in the coach and in my wet compartments.  I only run propane furnace for a 15 minute warmup.  I have smaller volume to heat with my Class C

Running the furnace on my class C won't help the tanks a bit, they just kinda hang out underneath. They do have heating pads though. I doubt the pads will keep the liquids warm enough to prevent freezing the discharge piping. The freshwater is under the bed.

it got very cold around here last night. below freezing, propain would burn up fast.
but in the summer. you would be running the ac 24-7.

ziplock said:
I'll  keep reading this thread...................and  comparing notes.

Can someone sum it all up?

Sure. It'll last until you run out.

ChasA said:
Well actually that is a good answer. There are to many variables to give a simple number. Everyone's setup and usage is different. Just remember propane furnaces are propane hogs. I know some have added "Extend a stay" connectors to run off separate 10-40 pound cylinders.
Keep a record of use and you will develop a feel for how long your tank will last.
Stay warm and Happy New Year.
Bill

ChasA said:

WILDEBILL308 said:
Well actually that is a good answer. There are to many variables to give a simple number.
Bill

So much  to think about.  Yep, keep notes  too!  And  share knowledge!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom