Subfreezing Nights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, we'd had about a week of sub freezing temps before that 11 degree night and we were fine...until we weren't.  Like I said...never again.

It's still in the 40's here and pretty darn breezy, but the sun is out and the sky is clear.  Beats being in Flagstaff or up on the Rim right now.

Our forecast is for 29 tonight, and then slightly warmer each night until next week.  I've got a half tank of fresh water I need to use up anyway, so I'll disconnect the water hose and call it good.

Stay warm, Bill
We looked at Bensen and it is a bit colder overall than where we are.

We are here and parked, really nice park.  Might hit freezing tonight, but 50's day time.

Beautiful lit up mountains in the esdt lit up for sunset.  # days here then Tucson.

Another option I have used is to keep one of the faucet dripping all night. You need to keep the grey tank valve open.  It has worked for us.

PancakeBill said:
We are here and parked, really nice park.  Might hit freezing tonight, but 50's day time.

Beautiful lit up mountains in the esdt lit up for sunset.  # days here then Tucson.

Tell the Wainwrights and any other Forum members there Peg and Don said HI.

Hi Guys
Got through the first night. Temp went down to 29 degrees about 3 am today and no problems. Did fill the on board  tank,disconnected the feed hose and emptied it. Left the filter on the spigot as it is pointed down at a 45 degree angle. Right now it is 47 degrees and climbing.

One thing that troubles me. We have rarely used the on board tank and when we do the water pump pulses over and over. I would think that on an open faucet it would run steady. The pulsing just gets a bit faster. Is this normal?

mudshark said:
One thing that troubles me. We have rarely used the on board tank and when we do the water pump pulses over and over. I would think that on an open faucet it would run steady. The pulsing just gets a bit faster. Is this normal?

If your pump has an adjustable pressure switch (most ShurFlo's do), backing it down a little until the pump runs steady with a wide open faucet will fix it. Adding an accumulator tank will also keep the pump from running every time you open a faucet.

If you think your furnace vents into the tank area, you might be able to look into the storage/pipe area and find a vent.  Mine is pretty visible in my utility area, but it is in the top part of the area, so you have to look up. 

https://www.tinywoodstove.com/

Get one with a fan that projects  the air  out  in the  room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dpQUeUhx6w

Didn't  know  they had such a  thing  till another poster further  up  the thread mentioned it.

mudshark said:
Hi Guys
Got through the first night. Temp went down to 29 degrees about 3 am today and no problems. Did fill the on board  tank,disconnected the feed hose and emptied it. Left the filter on the spigot as it is pointed down at a 45 degree angle. Right now it is 47 degrees and climbing.

RVRAC said:
Another option I have used is to keep one of the faucet dripping all night. You need to keep the grey tank valve open.  It has worked for us.

That worked for me too.  Think about making ice in your own refrigerator.  It takes 2-3 hours to freeze an ice tray, at 0 degrees.  Dipping to 29 degrees, for 4 hours, is nothing.  And likely it is only 29 degrees for less than an hour.

I guess I am being overly cautious. No one else in the park is disconnecting their water.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom