Travel trailer suspension upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Summitbeerowl

Hello again everyone.
So, I?m contimplating a suspension upgrade on the little sportsmen. It sits so low that it scrapes every time I pull into the alley to get to my driveway (it?s up hill). Plus in many areas it can scrape just going through uneven terrain. And it would be nice to have the sewer connections a bit higher for better drainage.

What I?m thinking is the ?axle flip?. My KZ dealer has recommended a shop that sounds like they can do it plus align it at a reasonable price.
Has anyone done this?
Do you have pics?
Did you increase the size of your tires? I?d like to go all terrain.
I really like the off road look of the new KZs.

In addition to the axel drop has anyone added shocks?
I see e-trailer has a few kits for all of this.
www.etrailer.com/question-324460.html

I havent contacted the shop yet...just putting all the thoughts together.

Again pics would be great in addition to your thoughts.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20181004_071656-1024x768-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20181004_071656-1024x768-800x600.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 38
Axle flip is a very common method to raise any pull behind camper a few inches.  Adding blocks between the spring and axle can add more height if needed.  An alignment is definitely needed as a part of this mod!!  My FW had this done when I bought it, and I did not know until I crawled under to look.

My tire size was not changed, but load range was increased.

Shocks are a good idea.  Since they are underneath and not seen, the manufacturer sees no need to spend money for them.  Besides, there are no passengers riding in the camper, and the stuff bouncing around does not complain.

Now if some members would only start posting some pics of their single axel suspension upgrades, lol.

I can see the reason for your lift. A friend of mine was thinking of doing that to his fw so he wouldn?t hit the bedside during some unusual hillside camping.

You can also add a set of dolly wheels in the back. They would take the weight of the trailer when backing into your driveway. I had a set for my last fifth wheel. If you live in NH and want them, there yours.

Rene T said:
You can also add a set of dolly wheels in the back. They would take the weight of the trailer when backing into your driveway. I had a set for my last fifth wheel. If you live in NH and want them, they're yours.

I certainly appreciate the offer but will have to pass.
ND is a little ways away from you, lol.
The dolly wheels are an interesting option.

Here's a great video which shows how they work. They sell some that bolt to the rear square bumper, but I'd be leery of doing that. You need to attach them to the frame and as far aft as you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXXC1T8HaUc

I flipped the axles on my old 1987 Coachman Frolic 5th wheel 19'. It was a very easy job and I did it myself in one day. I bought a kit from Croft Trailer that had all the parts. Pulled one axle at a time, slid it out , welded on new perches opposite the existing ones on the axle, then slid it back under and rebolted the axle back in only under the springs. I use it for hunting and fishing off road use. Really helped on clearance. I changed tires from 205-75-15d rating to 225-75-15 E rating. Very pleased with it. Gained about 6".in clearance. Had it this way the last 7 years and never had to realign since I used the same bolt up to springs and equalizers. Sorry I never took pictures when I did it, could take a picture of the finished product. Excellent You tube info if you look it up.

Rene T said:
Here's a great video which shows how they work. They sell some that bolt to the rear square bumper, but I'd be leery of doing that. You need to attach them to the frame and as far aft as you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXXC1T8HaUc

Thanks for sharing the video. Is an interesting idea.

ksbowman said:
I flipped the axles on my old 1987 Coachman Frolic 5th wheel 19'. It was a very easy job and I did it myself in one day. I bought a kit from Croft Trailer that had all the parts. Pulled one axle at a time, slid it out , welded on new perches opposite the existing ones on the axle, then slid it back under and rebolted the axle back in only under the springs. I use it for hunting and fishing off road use. Really helped on clearance. I changed tires from 205-75-15d rating to 225-75-15 E rating. Very pleased with it. Gained about 6".in clearance. Had it this way the last 7 years and never had to realign since I used the same bolt up to springs and equalizers. Sorry I never took pictures when I did it, could take a picture of the finished product. Excellent You tube info if you look it up.

Thanks. Good to hear. I never thought about searching YouTube. I?ll have to do that.

Back
Top Bottom