Buying a Quality Used Travel Trailer or RV - Brand Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willys98

Hello All,

New to the forum here; have been involved with RV's in one way or another since I was a kid.  Now I'm looking to buy one.

I'm looking to get a used travel trailer that is between 19-30 feet long, or a Class A or C RV, to live in for the next few years.

I'm thinking something made in the 2000-2010 time-frame will allow for enough depreciation to fit my 10k price range, without any of the components being too old.  I'd like to focus on the mid- to high-range of RV brands, for the sake of quality, and to avoid leaks. I know people who have bought brand new travel trailers, and have been VERY DISAPPOINTED with the quality, so I'm avoiding anything made in the last few years.

My biggest priority is having something that is going to be used for the next 5 years without any major issues (like roof leaks).

***I'm looking for advice on what brands were good or bad during the 2000-2010 time period, in order to make a more informed decision. ****

I'm in Indiana, so it makes getting certain brands, like Artic Fox, nearly impossible to get without a serious drive.
Also, I'm avoiding all entry-level brands for the sake of quality, such as Dutchmen, Coachmen, or Coleman, for the sake of durability, and since I will be living in this full time.
Lastly, I'm thinking of avoiding any of the Thor brands, as well as the Forest River brands after they got bought out by Berkshire Hathaway in 2005, as I imagine the focus shifted more on making a profit, rather than quality.

Any and all recommendations are welcome, as long as they are from personal experience or close secondhand information. I'd prefer not to just get offhand comments.

Again: I'm looking for advice on what brands were good or bad during the 2000-2010 time period, in order to get a recommendation on my primary residence for the next 5 years.

THANKS!!!!

Also, if anyone has any dealer recommendations in the Northern Indiana region (including the surrounding states), that would be great, as craigslist is running a little slim these days.

Lastly, if anyone has any quality RV's or Travel Trailers for sale that fit the above criteria, please send me a PM.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

Your question is very common, but unfortunately the answer you want isn't available - there simply isn't a list of RVs one can reference and be assured that there will be no problems.

Your budget is very low, so you will have to be very patient - while you may be able to find a well cared for rig in your price range, most will be overpriced money pits with undisclosed problems. There is no shortcut to getting out and looking at rigs, lots of them. Start by going to online sites such as RV Trader, PPL and RVT. This will give you a sense of what's out there and at what price. Then start looking. Look for a floor plan that works for you (critical since you plan to full time) and a unit that has been well cared for - your two most important considerations. Also one that preferably has been stored under cover or inside.

If you get a trailer you have another consideration: do you have a truck that can tow it? Since you plan on full-timing, you'll probably want an RV in the mid-high 30 foot range - in most cases you'll need at least a 3/4 ton truck. In the high 30' range you'll need a 1 ton in many cases - especially the older units which tend to be heavier.

Good luck in your search!

willys98 said:
My biggest priority is having something that is going to be used for the next 5 years without any major issues (like roof leaks).

That in itself is a tall order. All RV's, no matter what the name is on the front are high maintenance items. Roof leaks for example, are up to you to stop, not the RV manufacturer. For the most part, all the appliances are the same for almost all manufacturers. There is no brand out there that can guarantee no major issues for 5 years, new or used. If you're not willing to put forth the time and effort into preventative maintenance, and realistically expect things to break, usually at the most inopportune time, then owning an RV isn't for you. I'm know I'm coming off harsh on this, but that's just the way things are. I have a friend that bought a nice, clean used Southwind for a nice price three years ago. At the end of the first summer, it overheated on his way home, (about a 15-20 mile trip). It's been sitting in his yard ever since. What a shame, it WAS a nice, clean coach. Knowing him and his family, it's probably nothing but a leaking piece of junk now.

Back2PA,

Thanks for the welcome.
I understand there isn't a list that will guarantee no problems; rather I'm just trying to figure out which brands were good during the 2000-2010 time-frame, just as a starting point. This is more like a Ford vs Chevy argument, to put it another way. I realize that everyone has their personal preferences, but there are brands that "typically" have better build quality over other brands during a period of time. Kind of like how the Jeep Cherokee's are pretty much bullet-proof from 1990-1999, but had issues from that point forward, just as an example. I realize it's hard to pin down a 'date' when certain companies quality control became poor, but I'm hoping that maybe through enough discussion, some details can be picked out.

I understand about the budget, and finding one that has been well cared for and stored properly is a priority, so thanks for that advice.

I've got a 3/4 ton truck to tow it, and thank you for that tip about the older units being heavier.

Willys98

kdbgoat said:
That in itself is a tall order. All RV's, no matter what the name is on the front are high maintenance items. Roof leaks for example, are up to you to stop, not the RV manufacturer. For the most part, all the appliances are the same for almost all manufacturers.

That makes sense. I have been reading that fiberglass (and aluminum if one can find it) roofs are far superior to rubber roofs. So one detail would be trying to find brands that used fiberglass roofs instead of rubber. And that is a choice that the manufacturer made.  But I Completely understand that maintenance on the owner's part is the most important factor. To put it another way, it's like comparing a 1960's GMC car to a 1970's car: maintenance is critically important in order to keep the car on the road, but a well taken care of 1960's GMC is more likely to outlast a 1970's GMC because the build quality was better.

I'm up to doing the maintenance and keeping a handle on things, so that isn't an issue. I appreciate your frankness though; I'd rather hear the hard truth than a sugar coated lie. I see what you are saying about your friend, and I'll keep that in mind as I continue to search and look at RV's/trailer's in person.

Thanks,
Willys98

willys98 said:
it's like comparing a 1960's GMC car to a 1970's car: maintenance is critically important in order to keep the car on the road, but a well taken care of 1960's GMC is more likely to outlast a 1970's GMC because the build quality was better.

But if that 1960 GMC was abused and neglected ...How would it compare to the 1970's GMC.

If looking for an older model you will have to go though it with a fine tooth comb. If the seller has a problem allowing you to inspect.....Then move on

And Welcome to the forum

We bought ours from Campland in Burns harbor. Three years old and half the price of new.

We were lucky because it has seen very little use. As mentioned, to find a good used TT at a low price, takes a lot of looking and a bit of luck. 

Gizmo100 said:
If looking for an older model you will have to go though it with a fine tooth comb. If the seller has a problem allowing you to inspect.....Then move on

Very good points, and thanks for the welcome.

willys98 said:
That makes sense. I have been reading that fiberglass (and aluminum if one can find it) roofs are far superior to rubber roofs. So one detail would be trying to find brands that used fiberglass roofs instead of rubber.

Tell that to the Winnebago owners that have had their superior fiberglass roof disintegrate and blow off going down the road. there's nothing wrong with a "rubber" roof. Yes, they're harder to keep clean, but it's usually not the roof that leaks, but the joints where things go through the roof. Things like vents, the front and rear cap joints, skylights, antennas, sidewall joints etc. It doesn't matter what the roof covering is, they all have the same stuff going through them, and it's up to the owner to use due diligence to check those areas carefully to ensure against them leaking no matter what the roof material is. The only place I know of where a fiberglass or aluminum roof is superior is if a tree branch hits the roof. Then the fiberglass or aluminum roof would hold up better. One way around that is look up, and don't pull or back in where there isn't clearance. If you cut or slice a rubber roof, it can easily be fixed with a roof patch kit or Eternabond tape.

kdbgoat said:
Tell that to the Winnebago owners that have had their superior fiberglass roof disintegrate and blow off going down the road....

Interesting point about the fiberglass roof; I was just looking at a Winnie on on CL that had sat outside for a few years. I'll cross that one off the list then. Thanks.

Ok, so at this point I've narrowed my ideas down to a few brands:

1. Recreation by Design (some hail damaged models are coming down into my price-point)
2. Palomino Puma (a majority of the owner reviews seem positive)
3. Evergreen (But I need to figure out what year they started using cheaper materials and lowered the quality of workmanship)
4. Heartland (before Thor acquired in 2005)
5. Fleetwood
6. Grand Design
7. Itasca (need more info on quality)
8. Sunnybrook

I'm also considering some earlier Forest River and Jayco models, but I could use some help figuring out the estimated year that quality started to go down.

Any opinions/recommendations??

The thing to remember is over 85% of the RVs are built it in Elkhart Indiana. They all use the same labor pool and materials. There is more variations within a brand, due to model variation costs than there is between brands.

That is to say, that given a price range there is no one maker that dominates the market for quality. That is because TTs are built to a market price. The higher end brands such a Lance, the Northwood line, Nash and others said to be a cut above are reflected in the price.

Looking for a used TT is difficult because there is little damage that shows except water damage. If you are going to park it, then the condition of the brakes and bearing are if little concern. If you plan on 5000 miles a year like we, do they are a big concern. If you plan on living in it year round, you are in the wrong state.

RVing is a lot of fun but new or used are is a significant amount of upkeep that eludes most first timers.

Buying used is a wise idea because of the high depreciation of new units. But as is often said, it is not my age, it my mileage. :)

Good luck       

If you don't mind going a few years older than 2000, I'd look at the Holiday Rambler 5th wheel trailers also.  I've met a few people with them and they seem to be a good solid trailer with an aluminum roof.  If you can find one in good shape now it should still be solid in 5 years.

RGP said:
The thing to remember is over 85% of the RVs are built it in Elkhart Indiana. They all use the same labor pool and materials. There is more variations within a brand, due to model variation costs than there is between brands.

That is to say, that given a price range there is no one maker that dominates the market for quality. That is because TTs are built to a market price. The higher end brands such a Lance, the Northwood line, Nash and others said to be a cut above are reflected in the price.

Looking for a used TT is difficult because there is little damage that shows except water damage. If you are going to park it, then the condition of the brakes and bearing are if little concern. If you plan on 5000 miles a year like we, do they are a big concern. If you plan on living in it year round, you are in the wrong state.

RVing is a lot of fun but new or used are is a significant amount of upkeep that eludes most first timers.

Buying used is a wise idea because of the high depreciation of new units. But as is often said, it is not my age, it my mileage. :)

Good luck     

Good point. So this is more of a Chevy/Buick/Cadillac thing. (Sorry for all the car references, I have a lot more experience with those).

I haven't seen any Lance's for sale in my pricepoint, but I'll keep an eye out. The problem with Northwood's is that not too many make their way from Oregon to Indiana :-[ . I knew someone who had an Arctic Fox and loved it; I wish I could find a reasonably priced one myself.

Are there any good posts about how to look for damage? I know what water stains look like, but I always welcome any additional insight/advice from people who have experience.

I had the same budget as you five years ago. I took the checklist that is in the library on this forum and printed it out. My trailer just so happened to be at a Camping World parking lot. I felt it was worth it to pay the $300 to have them check it out more thoroughly after I did the basic check.  There were some issues, but nothing that I couldn't live with for a while until I had the money to fix them. Semi repaired water leaks at two of the corners were the worst problem, and were not a big issue for first four years.

But now there are some spongy areas on the subfloor in the bathroom. I need to address those as soon as I get the funds. In the meantime, I am having my first electrical problem. I have a Kit Companion which I think was not one of the highly regarded companies. But it was nearly flawless inside and looked like it was barely used. That played a big part in my decision to buy it.  I think it's ugly on the outside though. It looks like the generic version of a travel trailer! I would also like to mention that I would much rather live in a fifth wheel because of the generous headspace, but they are not allowed in my park. They could not give me a single reason for why the rule exists.

Welcome to the Forum!

All very good advice above from first hand knowledge.

While not absolute, initial MSRP and quality go hand in hand.  Higher end units with better finishing materials and usually better insulated and better able to handle full time.  NADA/RV.com  lists virtually every RV made with the original MSRP, size, number of axles and slides as well as estimated current value.  This is one way to estimate INITIAL overall quality.  How well it has been maintained trumps this value every time.

THE MOST IMPORTANT thing for you is FLOOR PLAN!  You will be living here full time.  You MUST love the floor plan or you will grow to hate the camper.

SECOND is the condition of the camper.  The Library has several Pre Delivery Inspection checklist. (PDI)  Check absolutely everything - fridge on gas AND electric.  Same for water heater.  Search for water damage in every possible cabinet or behind every drawer.  Get on top to verify roof condition and vent cover condition.  etc.  etc.  etc.  You WILL find issues.  Either accept them, knowing they exist or try to negotiate a better deal to allow repairs if major.

Wikipedia has some good articles on RV manufacturers concerning who bought out who and when.

Do LOTS of shopping.  I found my FW on RVTrader.  9 years old, $72K new, I paid $26K.  PPL and E bay are also good sources.  DO NOT GET IN A HURRY.  Your price point may be a bit tight, but not impossible.

Good Luck in your search and keep asking questions!

RGP said:

I didn't know that but it doesn't surprise me at all. Just like most of the quality furniture is built in North Carolina at one location, although that may be no longer true.

You have a budget for purchasing a trailer. I think you also need a budget for the buying process.

Think ?how much is it worth to me to get the right unit?.

Don?t limit yourself to trailers near you.

For example, last winter I decided to replace my half ton truck with a 1 ton diesel (SRW).
I started looking seriously in January. I searched all the used auto sites every day. I was pretty specific about what would satisfy me.. what I would accept and what I would not. I wrote it down.
That way I had a way to evaluate each possible candidate. I live in New England but I centered my search in central Tennessee with a 500 mile radius since I wanted a truck that had not yet wintered in salted roads.
In April I found it. In north Georgia.
I drove down, traded the old truck and drove the new one home. I made a mini vacation out of it.
Yes, it cost me 4 nights motels and some fuel but I got what I wanted. That was the cost of the buying process.

Ditto what Lynx said.

I found my perfect truck 200 miles away, so it only cost one night in the motel.  Well worth the "premium".

I found my perfect FW 250 miles away.  One motel night to look at it and one campground night when we picked it up.  Again, well worth the small extra cost!

Back
Top Bottom