Washington SR 20 or US20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We will be going from Vancouver Island to Spokane next summer, towing a 37' Fifth Wheel. I am currently planning on taking SR20, would US 2 be significantly better.

Thank you all, just joined the forum.

Welcome!!!    SR 20 is very scenic, not as hectic as US 2 and no need to travel on I-5. You won't have problems with your rv, be courteous and pull over space permitting if traffic backs up behind you on the grades as it is 2 lane.

Can't help with that part of the country

But I would like to welcome you to the forum.

I travel both routes each summer.  Usually going east on 20 and west on 2.
As stated hwy 2 has more traffic and congestion.  SR 20 is more scenic,has less traffic
and truck traffic is almost nonexistent going over the mountains.  Once in Eastern
Washington you will eventually have to go south a bit and enter Spokane on 2.
There are several ways to do that, all good.  My favorite is to go to Republic on 20
then go south  and take the Keller Ferry to Davenport on 2 then East. Whichever
way you choose to go it will be mostly 2 lane, not much traffic and scenic. If coming
from Vancouver Island, take the ferry from Sydney B.C. to Anacortes WA. You will
be on 20. Follow the signs and enjoy the ride.
https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Regions/Eastern/KellerFerry/

mypursuit said:
I travel both routes each summer.  Usually going east on 20 and west on 2.
As stated hwy 2 has more traffic and congestion.  SR 20 is more scenic,has less traffic
and truck traffic is almost nonexistent going over the mountains.  Once in Eastern
Washington you will eventually have to go south a bit and enter Spokane on 2.
There are several ways to do that, all good.  My favorite is to go to Republic on 20
then go south  and take the Keller Ferry to Davenport on 2 then East. Whichever
way you choose to go it will be mostly 2 lane, not much traffic and scenic. If coming
from Vancouver Island, take the ferry from Sydney B.C. to Anacortes WA. You will
be on 20. Follow the signs and enjoy the ride.
https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Regions/Eastern/KellerFerry/

This is exactly what I would recommend.

Thank you all, we will be leaving from Nanaimo, so I was figuring the BC Ferry from Duke Point to Tsawwassen. Going there I will take the ferry from Anacortes, spending 3 days in Victoria (Salish Seaside Rv Haven) and a few days in Nanaimo (Living Forest)   

Noticed some military service from both of you.  Thank You!
Are you aware of this. Some good some not, price a tad lower.  There's an app for it.

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/milcamps

mypursuit said:
Noticed some military service from both of you.  Thank You!
Are you aware of this. Some good some not, price a tad lower.  There's an app for it.

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/milcamps

We have been on this site, thank you very much. We have stayed on the beach at Camp Pen a couple of times and had a lot fun, especially when landing exercises are happening.

My vote is for SR20.  Beautiful.  Couple ways to get to Spokane.  Just before getting to Kettle Falls cross the bridge over Lake Roosevelt and go south on 25.  This will take you along the lake and there are places to stop and you won't need the ferry.  Could also go south on 395 but it's a little boring compared to going along the lake.

ZinLuvR said:
My vote is for SR20.  Beautiful.  Couple ways to get to Spokane.  Just before getting to Kettle Falls cross the bridge over Lake Roosevelt and go south on 25.  This will take you along the lake and there are places to stop and you won't need the ferry.  Could also go south on 395 but it's a little boring compared to going along the lake.

Thanks, based on some time constraints I am considering SR20 to 155-174 or SR20 to 153-97-17-174.  We will be leaving from Winthrop.

Interesting choices.  I don't think I've been that route.  Sure to be ok. 
If in Wilber  at lunch time, Doxies Diner is not too bad.  Nothing special but there
is a hugh parking lot next door that is easy out/in.  Enjoy your trip.

mypursuit said:
Interesting choices.  I don't think I've been that route.  Sure to be ok. 
If in Wilber  at lunch time, Doxies Diner is not too bad.  Nothing special but there
is a hugh parking lot next door that is easy out/in.  Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the suggestion, looks perfectly set on the route. Looking forward to the trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom