2019 Quartzsite Rally - LTVA Status?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sc4668

Just read on another RV site that the LTVA is closed in Quartzside. If you do not have a paid pass you will be ticketed and told to leave.This is a catch 22, with the government shutdown you can not buy a pass. There were pictures posted from today and the trash cans at Tyson's Wash La Posa West are full and trash all over the ground. Does anyone know if this is true. If it is where is the group going to park this year. Also the 14 day free areas are said to be open.

That's a good question.  Our rally is a month away and a lot can happen in that time.  Meanwhile we can think about an alternative.

ArdraF

We have friends who are visiting friends out at La Posa South.  We will report their observations as soon as they get back.

FWIW here's what the BLM web site and their Shutdown Contingency Plan say. Feedback from PJ's friends should be very informative.

https://www.blm.gov/
In the event of a lapse in appropriations, the Bureau of Land Management will be closed. During this shutdown, this website is not being updated and may not reflect current conditions. For your planning purposes, the majority of BLM-managed lands remain accessible to visitors; however access may change without notice. Please be aware that there may be no BLM-provided visitor services, including restrooms, trash collection, facilities or road maintenance. For more information, see www.doi.gov/shutdown.

https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/files/2018-03-blm-contingency-plan.pdf
Campgrounds and Other Recreation Sites
Campgrounds, boat ramps, and other recreation sites will be open. However, many facilities will be operationally shut down and posted accordingly, restrooms locked, and water systems shut down. Consistent with other Federal recreation providers, occupied sites would be given 48 hours? notice that services including water, electricity, and restrooms will be turned off and closed. Operational shutdown activities for the sites would be completed within the 48-hour period. Visitors may remain at these sites at their sole risk

Pretty much what happened last year.

Wasn't a big deal unless you were caught with full tanks. Even then, the vendors in Q were happy to accommodate the extra business.

Tom

sc4668 said:
Just read on another RV site that the LTVA is closed in Quartzside. If you do not have a paid pass you will be ticketed and told to leave.This is a catch 22, with the government shutdown you can not buy a pass. There were pictures posted from today and the trash cans at Tyson's Wash La Posa West are full and trash all over the ground. Does anyone know if this is true. If it is where is the group going to park this year. Also the 14 day free areas are said to be open.

Friends just returned from La Posa South and report that the check in station is closed, however, the water, and dump station are open, but no one at the dump station to make sure you have a current sticker.  Dumpsters are partially full, but not over flowing. No sign that anyone was being kicked out, but I am sure things could change at any time.

Didn't head down to the LTVA's yesterday, but I can tell you that the BLM land north of town out on Plomosa Road is filling up.  The host is at the check in shelter near the turn off from 95, and seems to still be working.  At least, in the time it took to approach the intersection, stop, wait for traffic, then proceed, I saw 2 rigs pull in and stop at the check in station.

The trash collection is on prepaid contract so the dumpsters will be emptied by the contracted company until the prepaid money is used up. I can remember in previous shutdowns the dumpsters filling up, overflowing, and trash left surrounding them on the ground. People need to take their trash elsewhere until this is resolved.

Wendy said:
The trash collection is on prepaid contract so the dumpsters will be emptied by the contracted company until the prepaid money is used up. I can remember in previous shutdowns the dumpsters filling up, overflowing, and trash left surrounding them on the ground. People need to take their trash elsewhere until this is resolved.

Or being that the space being used for next to nothing, take up a collection to pay the waste company.

kdbgoat said:
Or being that the space being used for next to nothing, take up a collection to pay the waste company.

A nice thought, but how do you get that from the thousands of people using those areas? There are a lot of people spread over a lot of area, and a lot of dumpsters to deal with.

PJ Stough said:
Here is a youtube video made today. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdT6RBmHfEY

11:00 minutes in, after he visits his friend Dan it looks like he drives out through our rally site. 

I just posted this on the ?official? rallly thread. (Why do we have two threads on the same rally?)
We stopped by Quartzsite on our way to Needles to pick up the motorhome. There is no ?closed? sign on the 14 day sites. We drove into Tyson Wash - reasonable number of people there. We then drove to La Posa South, and there were RVs at the dump and water stations. So far, so good.

UTTransplant said:
(Why do we have two threads on the same rally?)

I changed the Subject of this topic to indicate it's about the LTVA's status in regard to the Federal goverment shutdown.

Hopefully everything will be straightened out before we all head there and this discussion will become moot.

Let's keep the discussion about the LTVA status here and leave the Reply Topic for other questions about the Rally, signups, etc.

Yeah, I have a couple of sons that live and work in Yosemite Valley.  One is seasonal, so he's off right now anyway.  The other one works for the concessionaire year round, and he's not real happy with how people are treating the park.

We will be arriving Wed. Jan 23rd with 3 other rigs and plan on staying at the BLM land west of HWY 95 just south of the Big Tent. Does anyone have an update on whether rigs are being ticketed because of no passes at this time. If there is an issue at this site, I guess the best place to go would be off Plomosa Rd.
Thanks, Lou

No tickets. I saw a couple of BLM rangers at La Posa South talking to the camp host, but they definitely weren?t writing tickets. Hundreds and hundreds of people are here in the LTVAs, and more arriving every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom