Towable Dual Axle Suspension Adjustment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonestar Guy

Love this site, but very hard to sift through so many posts to see if there is one addressing new concerns. So, I'll start another...

As seen in attached photo, the piece of the suspension between the two wheels (whatever it's called) is not level. This is true on both sides. Both are lower in at the front wheel. We haven't used it for a couple months. I'm sure I have seen it not being level before but I recently had to swap a tire. I raised this side by jacking it up directly under the center support of the contraption that is visible in the photo. I will say that I had a rear tire blowout after about 2000 miles and after another 1500, the replacement tire, on the spare rim, appeared to have been separating. They were both Castle Rock tires. I've replaced this side with Goodyears.

Anyway, I've only moved it from the back yard to the driveway to prep for coming trip so I don't know if they will level out after a bit of driving or if this is normal due to the weight distribution of the trailer, or what.

Lastly, if it IS supposed to be level... 1) How much of an issue is it to drive as it is? 2) Is there a link somewhere to show how to adjust for levelness?

Thanks and regards,
Gary

Attachments

• Suspension.jpg
    Suspension.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 45
Nothing to worry about IMHO. Is your driveway perfectly level? If it's not, it will cause this I think.
I would never jack under that. It would be very easy for it to roll just a bit slipping off the jack.  Just the vibration from you removing a wheel and the weight being removed from the end of the axle, it could slip and fall. You're much better off jacking by placing the jack right under the spring shim pack plate or the "U" bolt

It?s called an ?equalizer? in my crowd. It allows for up and down articulation of the tandem axles to try to keep all the tires in contact with the ground. Picture looks perfectly normal to me. I think if you study it closely you?ll see how it works. Maybe pull one wheel up on some blocks, speed bump, or something and observe articulation.

Thanks! Yea, I understand that basic function. The driveway is NOT perfectly level. Also, I've been very busy prepping that I couldn;t get back to the post and update until now, but realized at the time of the concern and the photo, I didn't have the stabilizer bars in place. As I raised the front end to attach the bars, the 'equalizer' seemed to level out some. After attaching the bars and retracting the jack, it returned close to the photographed position, but not quite as bad I think. Hard to tell.

Anyway, I'll keep any eye on it. Curious to see if it levels out after driving a little. I think it will....

The angle will be completely dependent on the terrain the two tires are on at that instant. As said earlier, it looks completely normal. There seems to be a lot to worry about with an RV, but that's one you can put out of your mind.

Back
Top Bottom