New power sofa installed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
With the help of my son and FIL we had our new sofa installed today. Since my right arm is still marginally useful, they came over to give me a hand. After about 18 months with the OE Villa theater seating, we were ready for a change. The Villa failed to live up to expectations, both in comfort and durability. We upgraded the standard sofa to the theater seating before the build. But in the time that we had it, various issues with the seating unit became evident. The Villa seating unit was a $2500 upgrade.

The recline mechanisms were less than reliable, and reclining the seats required a significant amount of "pushing" to activate the foot rests. We had them worked on by both the selling dealer and Tiffin at CRB, but neither made much of a difference.  In the 18 months that we had them the cushions, particularly mine (where I usually sit) compressed to the point where the seat was noticeably sagging, and the fabric wrinkled. During a trip to the factory service center, the cabinet shop built "spacers" to secure the arms of the unit as they wobbled easily. The spacers controlled the wobble, but didn't help the mechanisms to perform any easier.

I shopped on line, and found a seating supplier named "4Seating.com"  As luck would have it, their warehouse and showroom was about 10 miles from us. We went to the showroom and got to sit in and test several different models with various features. We settled on a model named "Heritage Motif 7000" power recline sofa.  Both the recline function and headrests are power operated, and the middle seat has a drop down table with cup holders and power ports. The seating foam is significantly more robust than the Villa, and the mechanics are of a better quality. The unit was on sale for $1249, just about half what we paid for the Villa unit.  The color was a light tan, and fit in with the interior of our Bus nicely.

If I had it to do over, I would skip the upgrade, and simply order an aftermarket seating unit instead for half the cost, and twice the comfort.

Pic 1) The new sofa after install
Pic 2) The push button controls for recline and headrest
Pic 3) Center console tray table
Pic 4) Tray table 110V and USB power ports

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 86
It looks very nice.....and.......comfortable.  Good choice.  We bought a new sofa and loveseat for our house a couple of years ago with the recliners in both ends on both pieces.  I never realized how much I'd like them, but the only problem I have with them is that when I sit down in the evening and recline it, it's like taking a sleeping pill.....Oh well!

Hey Sarge when installing the new power couch, did you have to disassemble it to fit through the door.
1249 is a remarkable price for it and may be better than reupholstering my couch.

Willandgiselarv said:
Hey Sarge when installing the new power couch, did you have to disassemble it to fit through the door.
1249 is a remarkable price for it and may be better than reupholstering my couch.

The backrests come off (and were packaged that way) so it was just the seat bases to come through the door. A lesson I learned when bringing one in through the door on the 2013 Phaeton was to unbolt the passenger seat and move it out of the way. Then my son had a great idea of using the picnic table to place next to the door so it was a much easier lift into the rig. After putting down some furniture pads on the floor and dash for protection it slipped in pretty easily.

I want to replace my furniture but I am measuring what I have and what I want to put in and I see no way to get in or out with out removing the door framing entirely and even then, it will be a wrestling match and not sure the sofa will bend that much. It's an older 5th wheel and I think its a 32" opening at present.
Won't be fun I know.

32" would be huge! I  think my door in the MH is 27" wide. With the seat backs taken off, all you are moving is the seat base, and the arms of the unit are the widest point. Being padded they were able to compress a bit to slide in easily.

but i'm talking about removing a loveseat sleeper, which is about 32" high at the back, two swivel rockers, which would be no problem, but i want to bring in a leather sofa with two built in recliners, right at 36 to 37" high ( might be able to take legs off and save 2 or 3 ", and a love seat with two built in recliners same height.
I know this thing was built after all the carpeting was laid because everything is sitting on top of the carpet including cabinets, slides, and even most walls it seems like, (I'm replacing all the flooring), but I swear, I think they placed the furniture inside before they attached the slides

i sat on a power couch at my buddies condo last weekend and it was great! I told him not to let my wife see it. Wow, it was nice

Nice looking upgrade!

SargeW said:
In the 18 months that we had them the cushions, particularly mine (where I usually sit) compressed to the point where the seat was noticeably sagging, and the fabric wrinkled.

One cushion on the year old couch in our stick house was showing signs of sagging to one side so we had the dealer come out and look. He basically accused us of "always sitting in the same place" (duh, isn't that how you use a couch?). I admitted that my 17 year old daughter tended to sit there and usually would lean over to that side which confirmed his suspicions. When I called her into the room and he saw that she was 5'1" and 100 lbs soaking wet, he simply said "I'll order a new cushion".  ;D

That is awesome, very nice.  How is it to sit and get up out of, is it too low like most RV sofas?  I have a hard time getting out of the factory sofa - I almost need a pull strap to stand up out of it. 

Easier than the RV sofa was. The seat height is a bit taller taller, and the cushions a better grade of foam, so I don't sink in like the other one. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom