2004 Buick Rainer w/ tow capacity 6000lbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvingarizona

Hi my friends,

I?m trying to show my lovely better half what limitations
We have towing our 2004 Rainer SUV. Towing capacity of
about 6000 lbs.

My real question is the dry weight of the RV trailer.
I believe the dry weight should be under 4000. But,
she wants a length of 27?.

Our budget is under $9000.

Thank you.

Welcome to the Forum!  Thank you sooo much for coming here BEFORE camper purchase!

First of all, dry wt is meaningless to everyone except RV sales people.  Nobody goes camping in an empty camper!  Your tow vehicle (TV) must pull the entire weight of the camper, not just the dry wt.  Use the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) in your calculations.  It is more realistic.

Second, the towing capacity is for bragging rights ONLY!  It is based on a bare naked no options except tow package version of the Ranier and the ONLY thing in the car is a 150 lb driver.  No passengers, no cargo.  Every pound of options and passengers and cargo reduces the tow capacity by the same amount.  Now the GOOD NEWS.  The basic Ranier is a fairly well equipped SUV, so it will not have 600 lbs of options to deduct!

Your 4000 lb dry wt will probably be around 5500 lb loaded weight, so you are clearly in the proper neighborhood for weight.  I would not want to go any heavier, though.

Where will you be towing?  While this does not really affect weight limits, you will be much happier towing on somewhat flat terrain than you would be towing in the Rockies.

Look at gently used campers.  1.  You get more camper for the same $$.  2.  Most new campers have several issues which are covered under warranty, but that often means MONTHS at the dealer waiting for repairs.  A gently used camper will have these issues resolved, and you may choose less expensive, more responsive repair techs than the dealer.  3.  If you love camping, you will probably want to upgrade to a bigger camper, and the trade will be less painful if you did not pay new prices to start with.

Read LOTS of threads here as well as Library articles and educate yourself on everything camper related.
Ask LOTS of questions!

Welcome to the Forum. You'll find lots of information here.

The first thing you need to find out is the towing capacity of your tow vehicle (6000#).  Second, forget the dry weight. It means nothing. Find what the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is of the trailer. That number has to be less than your tow vehicle's towing capacity of 6000#.

rvingarizona said:
Our budget is under $9000.

Welcome to the forum, A lot of good information listed above.

Does your budget include stocking the RV with needed items...Bedding, dishes, cookware,,,It adds up fast.
You may also need a weight distribution hitch and sway control. If you don't have a trailer brake controller you will need to add that as well.
Not trying to scare you off...Just want you to make an informed decision.

You should be able to find a small pop-up for under $9,000. Which is good, because that's all you're going to safely tow with that vehicle.

I'd say that 6000 lbs is optimistic for a Rainier. I'm sure it will move it ok, but you probably won't enjoy it much. Stick with a trailer with a GVWR well under 5500, preferably in the 4500-5200 range.  As Grashley says, ignore dry weight and use trailer GVWR in your estimates.  The loaded trailer weight will be much closer to the GVWR than the dry weight, plus the dry weight in the brochure specs is often substantially less than what an actual example weighs when you get it.

However, if the wife has her heart set on a larger trailer (and they will be much more comfortable to use), start by shopping for a nice pick-up or a much larger & stronger SUV, e.g. a Yukon XL, Suburban or Expedition. Camping will be much more enjoyable if Momma is happy!

I agree with all the above.  However, i have a solid 2005 Yukon XL, and I wouldn't pull a 27' trailer.  I'm good for 8100# too. 
There is just more to the equation than weights only. 
Here is a great video to help explain the limitations of a 1/2 truck.  Others think it stretching it a bit, It depends on your 'Risk' tolerance. 
That argument aside, this is a good 'food for thought' video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M75Sm7XaIdY

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom