I may greatly limit my eating out after reading this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Its one thing to see it in a movie, its another to read about it as we all know that sadly it happens but we mostly turn our heads to the truth.  But for this to warrent a story means than it must happen more than i ever imagined.  I will most likely limit my eating out (especially from fast food places) after seeing images and other images of people busted for doing this. 

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/what-were-they-thinking-grossest-food-incidents-of-2018

I do wonder how anyone can even think that stiring tea with their hand is even slightly acceptable.  Did they not even teach this employee the first word of kitchen work is "sanitary".

Basically it looks like most of us at one time or another have eaten something gross in our lifetimes without knowing it.

Every candybar you eat is legally required to contain "no more than" a specific amount of insect parts.

That specific amount is not 0.

It does not surprise me at at all, my family owned a food distribution business for many years, we sold to restaurants, nursing homes, schools, jails, etc. some of the things that go on in the back of restaurants would disgust most people, it is not even just the fast food places.  Working for the family business off and on over the years I have seen a number of such incidents myself, food hitting the floor, then picked up and cooked, ....

Here is one example, this incident took place about 40 years ago at a somewhat popular dining establishment located in a local hotel with a banquet hall, the place was normally open for lunch and dinner only, was a popular spot for local businessmen to have lunch.  Our sales rep went in early one morning to collect a payment from the owners of the restaurant because their check had bounced, the night before they had hosted a banquet with steak dinners, that morning he saw they had kitchen staff going though the plates that had sat out all night, and were cutting off the bits of uneaten steaks.  The lunch special on their marquee sign that day was steak tips and gravy.  Infer what you will, don't worry the place is not there anymore, the hotel was even torn down about 15-20 years ago.

I stopped eating at my favorite burger place a few years ago when i saw the person making a hamburger shake someones hand in the back and then continued to make the burger, no cloves on or anything and did not wash after touching someone elses hands.  I told them to cancel the order i had a family emergency and drove off.

We left a Skyline Drive campground early one morning so we stopped for a McMuffin.  I lifted the top part of the bun and found the largest mosquito ever carefully placed and spread over the egg.  A corporate employee happened to be there and witnessed the event.  All I asked for was for my money back and the perpetrator to be fired.  :(

Anyone who has ever worked in food service doesn't even have to click the link to guess what's in it. Many restaurants (not all, but many) are sanitary "houses of horror", but food production itself is pretty...ummmm...messy. There's a reason why a drop or two of Clorox bleach in a sink full of water has gained a reputation as being food-safe (I'm looking at you, raw chicken and head lettuce).

There's a restaurant in Seligman AZ called the ROADKILL CAFE.  Always assumed it was just a fun name.  After reading this I'm not so sure. 

jackiemac said:
I'm not looking - ignorance is bliss.... and we dont eat out much ?
X's 2 ...I hate eating out...But that said...We're going out Friday night with friends.

RedandSilver said:
What about all the food in grocery stores?  You think that is any better?

I "think it is" so I can sleep at night...Of course every other day someone announces a new recall..

I guess I don?t much care. I made it to 68 and I?ve been eating out since I can remember. Our grandkids were over the other day and the 6 year old grandson was eating something. He came up to me and said he dropped it on the floor so he had to throw it away. I said ?You eat boogers so how is something that hit the floor gonna hurt you?. He said ?You have a point grampy?. He walked away eating whatever it was.

Oldgator73 said:
Our grandkids were over the other day and the 6 year old grandson was eating something. He came up to me and said he dropped it on the floor so he had to throw it away. I said ?You eat boogers so how is something that hit the floor gonna hurt you?. He said ?You have a point grampy?. He walked away eating whatever it was.

You are his hero..

These are but a few of the reasons, we prepare our own meals, and rarely eat out.  Most of our meat is elk (self processed), our beef ( no steroids, minimal antibiotics, grass fed) purchased from someone we know.  It can?t totally eliminate problems....but should reduce the risks of eating in restaurants on a daily basis!

as a germaphobe of sorts, I won't even click on your link..... but I pretty much know what it says...
It's a battle sometimes for me to put it out of my mind since we do eat out a fair bit.  I really try to stay away from buffets especially, but sometimes.... I just have to fight the urge to consider....

The little bit of news about the latest cruise ship outbreak.... we sailed on that very same ship in October.  that was a rough week for this germaphobe.  I even said to my wife a few times that I was shocked the cruise ship industry hasn't figured out by now to stop doing it buffet style.  My wife said, well what more could they really do?...The had a really catchy little "wash your hands" jingle video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48etEql31D4 they played at the muster station drill and continuously on the in room tv.  They also did a great job of basically almost forcing every person entering the restaurants to use hand santizer....
So i mentioned to her that the sanitizer stuff doesn't kill all viruses.... and it doesn't stop any of those thousands of people from....well, let's just say there's a lot of finger lickin' good finger food served and plenty of time for itchy noses and the rest between trips to the buffet.  I suggested that maybe they should instead of letting the passengers serve up there own...instead have employees manning the serving spoons...not so unlike the guy manning the roast beef carving station.  I know you can't trust the employees either, but at least the idea improves the odds!
When the news hit recently...I said "see what I was talking about!"...what did taht outbreak cost Royal Carribean on that one cruise alone...not to even mention the bad press.

Going on a Royal Caribbean cruise in a few weeks. I?m more worried about getting sick before we go. However, the last cruise we went on a year ago Christmas the wife and I both got sick. She got pneumonia on the ship which cost us nearly $1,000 in treatments and medication. And then I got bronchitis in Barcelona that costs another $1,000. Of course Medicare doesn?t pay for any treatment outside the States but our supplemental insurance reimbursed us for the majority of the cost.

We were on a cruise a few years ago where there had been a Norovirus outbreak on the previous cruise, our boarding was delayed by several hours while they thoroughly cleaned the ship, all public restrooms were closed for the first 2 days of our cruise, also for the first 2.5 days all buffets were served by ships personnel, no self service allowed, in addition they had strict hand sanitizer use required when entering the dining area and again at the buffet line with a crew member standing there to make sure everyone actually used it.  On the 4th day after zero cases of Norovirus being reported they lifted the stricter precautions.

i deliver to a major world wide fast food place ( i only deal with northern ca and northern Nevada). but what goes on behind the walls will grouse most out.

rule number one.  how clean is the rest room. that is how clean the food prep area is.

Back
Top Bottom