Storage Door Gas/Spring Struts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnRVAndADog

So, the Shore Power Door dropped on my head for the last time. Apparently you have to pry these off with a screwdriver, and bang them on with a mallet. Don't they make a tool, like pliers, so you don't have to pound on your RV?

Attachments

• door_strut.jpg
    door_strut.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 45
The two different kinds I have seen have a little clip of some kind on the end that you pop loose and they come right off. One was metal around the sides, the other was a plastic cap that you popped up.

If they have the little metal clip. I just slip a small flat screwdriver into the notch on the back and release the gas spring from the stud. Just the opposite to put them on, and no banging needed...

Yeah, unless you have different kinds of gas struts than I'm familiar with, I suspect that you're pounding on them unnecessarily. The little locking clip is small, but it's at the end of the strut near the socket. Like Dutch said, just use a small flat screwdriver, and twist it to slowly pry it loose. They can sometimes be a bit awkward to snap back into place, so I don't take the clip completely off. I just pop them out enough to get the strut loose. FWIW

Kev

Kevin Means said:
Yeah, unless you have different kinds of gas struts than I'm familiar with, I suspect that you're pounding on them unnecessarily. The little locking clip is small, but it's at the end of the strut near the socket. Like Dutch said, just use a small flat screwdriver, and twist it to slowly pry it loose. They can sometimes be a bit awkward to snap back into place, so I don't take the clip completely off. I just pop them out enough to get the strut loose. FWIW
Kev

I'll try prying the clip loose next time...  I have a couple more that will need replacing in the near future...

Back
Top Bottom