Should 5th wheel be level on jack stands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skeeter_ca

I have a 28' 5th wheel that i need to put up on jack stands and remove the axles and springs. My driveway slopes about 5 degrees. Should i level the trailer and keep it level by changing the height of each jack stand as it goes down the drive way or just have all the jack stands at the same level and the trailer slope down? My thinking is the first option is best.

skeeter

28'at 5? will put one end 2 1/2' higher than the other. I would do my best to find another place to work  ;D. To answer your question, I would keep the trailer level.

kdbgoat said:
28'at 5? will put one end 2 1/2' higher than the other. I would do my best to find another place to work  ;D. To answer your question, I would keep the trailer level.

especially if ya need to run the fridge

kdbgoat said:

I agree. You never know what could shift or slide. Find a level spot.

Just not a good idea....The jack stands need to vertical in order to safely carry to load.

You are going to be 5 degrees off center, While working you will no doubt be putting pressure on the frame to loosen bolts.

Unfortunately i have no level spots any where on my land except inside the house. And the Mrs. would not go for that.  ;D I agree the jack stands need to be level. I was already going to be using wood pads for the jack stands to sit on. Guess i could make eight pads that have about 5 degree angle on the bottom so the top sits level. Good idea?

skeeter

8 pads with the 5 ? angle cut will work.  I would add some flat blocks under some of the jacks as needed, and keep the rig level.  It is not that much, so why not?  Eliminate any possible issues.

Depends on if hte Fridge is on or off and if it's RV or Residential

and if you plan on sleerpign in it with it on jack stands.

Off. Residential and vacant.  It does not matter  IN fact it might be betterr to "slope" it for reasons other than things we normally talk about here. (Rain run off).

Occupied RV absorption cooling unit ON.. Level it

If not on concrete and I mean concrete not asphalt or dirt. Be sure to pad under the jack stands  THey will poke holes in Dirt or Asphalt.. so at least a 12x12 pad under them..

Ok, just to say, everything is off in the 5'er. Frig off. Not occupying it.

As for the slope. I measured the height of the frame at the landing gear and at the rear stabilizer with the trailer level. The difference was 10". I think that puts it at closer to 3 degrees or a little less. Sure seems like a lot when looking at it but that is it. Wanted to get it on blocks today but wifey wanted to be entertained. Hopefully next weekend.

skeeter

5 degrees is a small incline - max of 2' over a 30' span.  Just do what is right and feel safe.  If the jacks have a swivel point it's safer....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom