Am I on the right track?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndrewZ

Hi y'all

I'm a new member looking to buy a used TT. I'm trying to gather lots of info to make the best possible decision, so all input is appreciated. The reason I decided to buy used is that based on the research I've been doing these past few months, the entire process seems to be a crap shoot, and you can end up with a lemon even if it's brand new.  With that in mind, as well as everything I'm reading about massive depreciation, extended repair times, terrible warranty service, and little if any legal recourse for the buyer, a new one seems to make less and less sense considering it stands just as much of a chance of "breaking" as a used one, and I'll likely be on the hook for repairs either way. I might as well get in for the minimum investment and be prepared to shell out some money and wait a while for any issues to be fixed. If my logic is not sound, please correct me.

I settled on a TT because of the lower price and the capabilities of my tow vehicle (2015 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SB 4x2 5.7 V8 w/3.21 rear end). I'm not too picky on floor plans because it is just me and my dog, and this will be used strictly as a camper, although there is the possibility of an extended period, I'd say no more than six months, that I will live in it while I'm house hunting in spring 2020.  I like either the rear kitchen or rear living plans, but neither is a requirement. My primary consideration WRT layout is that the main area of the camper is free of any furnishings or appliances; just a clear, open lane from front to back. Based on my truck, I'd guess I'm limited to something under or around 30' max.  Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as price, I'd like to keep it under $18K, but I'd go a little higher if something great came along.  I've been over to the Library section and read over the checklists, so I will definitely be using them when it's time to buy.  I will also have an independent inspection done before handing any money over or signing any papers. I found the NRVIA website through a Google search, so that's who I planned on using, but if y'all can recommend a better service/organization, I'm all ears. If there is anything else I should be factoring into my decision, please let me know (specific manufacturers/models/years to look for, aluminum vs fiberglass upkeep, etc.) 

As a point of reference, I attached a link to a 2008 Holiday Rambler Alumi Lite 30QBHS that I like and is well within my budget. The dealer is local to me and has good feedback. I have heard some decent stuff about HR, especially their older models, and I'm sure you seasoned folks will have more to tell me. 

http://cripplecreekrvs.com/lot-14     

Anyway, hope that wasn't too wordy. Look forward to hearing from you all, as well as being able to help out fellow members in the future after I gain a little experience.

Andrew     

There is an advantage to buying new, that no one seems to mention that you might want to consider.
Most of the appliances such as the stove, the water heater, the furnace,  the refrigerator, the toilet and the AC unit have a two year warrantee. Along with that you are getting new tires and new brakes.

I have a trailer that is just under two years old and the toilet wouldn't hold water. I called up Dometic and described the problem. They sent me a brand new one which I received in three days and they didn't want the old one back.

I am a long time trailer owner and on my third one. Each one has been longer then the previous one and I buy new each time just for the above reason.

Jack L

Thanks Jack. I hadn't taken appliance warranties into consideration.  Good food for thought!

Welcome to the Forum!

Your explanation of why to buy used was very good!  I believe that is the best way to go!  IMHO, problems with appliances is low on my concerns with a new camper.  That "free" toilet could have been purchased for under $200, vs the savings of buying used.

No specific model suggestions.  The Alumi lite is a better than average camper, assuming it has been well cared for.

I believe  you may not be happy with a 30 ft camper behind a light ? ton truck.  I would try to stay under 27 ft, but under 25 ft would be better.  Shorter, infrequent trips on fairly flat terrain might work.

I think the 30QBHS has a dry weight of 6,300 lbs. Loaded it is likely to weight over 7,500 lbs. What is the towing capacity of your truck?

Also, two other important questions are where you plan to travel (mountains or flat terrain) and what weather you expect to encounter.  The former is important because your tow vehicle has to have enough oomph when it's loaded (think canned foods and tools which are heavy)  to get you over mountains.  We've had a few members who bought another truck before the end of their first long trip because their truck simply didn't have enough power to pull their trailer over western mountains.  The latter is important because most travel trailers are designed for vacationing during moderate weather.  They generally don't have enough insulation for either very cold or very hot climates.

ArdraF

If it were me and just my dog I'd be looking at shorter more solid TT's.
25' four season trailer. Shorter trailers allow for more remote locations and state/national campgrounds
Northwoods and Outdoors RV are mfg I'd look at.
I've had outstanding luck in buying used. I have also bought new and came out fine with very little issues.
However I've had many friends buy new and have 1 heck of a time getting serviced and warranty work completed.
I want to use my camper, not have it sitting in some dealers lot. A 2 year warranty on fairly inexpensive appliances is not worth the headache to me, especially when you try to collect.
Also spend lots of time checking out trailer layouts. You'll be surprised on things that look like they would work, but don't. 1 trailer I bought had a front bedroom and access from each side of bed with pocket doors. Looked awesome, but had absolutely no room to change clothes.
Happy shopping.

grashley said:
That "free" toilet could have been purchased for under $200, vs the savings of buying used.

Grashly, That was my thought process exactly.  I'd rather buy a used one that's structurally sound and might need a few improvements or repairs.  I understand it's still a major gamble though, so my eyes are wide open.

I will definitely look into smaller RVs.  Based on other replies, it seems I may be punching above my weight with my current truck.  I am also seriously considering a new truck too, which I should've mentioned.  So that's another reason the savings of a used RV sounded attractive to me.  Thanks for your reply! 

IBTripping said:
I think the 30QBHS has a dry weight of 6,300 lbs. Loaded it is likely to weight over 7,500 lbs. What is the towing capacity of your truck?

I don't have all the info on hand, but based on the online towing calculators I used, it appeared my current truck would be capable of towing that amount (unless I entered something wrong). I used a VIN decoder to get all the numbers and plugged them into several different calculators. Thanks!

AndrewZ said:
Grashly, That was my thought process exactly.  I'd rather buy a used one that's structurally sound and might need a few improvements or repairs.  I understand it's still a major gamble though, so my eyes are wide open.

I will definitely look into smaller RVs.  Based on other replies, it seems I may be punching above my weight with my current truck.  I am also seriously considering a new truck too, which I should've mentioned.  So that's another reason the savings of a used RV sounded attractive to me.  Thanks for your reply!

Grashley is spot on, AND a new truck, that's a game changer  ::)  Opt for a slightly used as well,  8)  A nice 3/4 ton will pull a 30' nice.  Read up some previous threads on size and issues.  The 1/2 tons just don't do well over 25', others will argue that, but read up and you decide,  There are more factors into pulling a trailer than weight specs alone, wind being one of them. 

I always buy used because a new warranty is worthless if you have to drop your RV off at a service center and have it sit there for months on end. I much prefer to buy used and pay a mobile mechanic to come to my place and fix it. Much cheaper and a lot more convenient.

ArdraF said:
Also, two other important questions are where you plan to travel (mountains or flat terrain) and what weather you expect to encounter.  The former is important because your tow vehicle has to have enough oomph when it's loaded (think canned foods and tools which are heavy)  to get you over mountains.  We've had a few members who bought another truck before the end of their first long trip because their truck simply didn't have enough power to pull their trailer over western mountains.  The latter is important because most travel trailers are designed for vacationing during moderate weather.  They generally don't have enough insulation for either very cold or very hot climates.

ArdraF

Thanks! As I mentioned in another reply on this thread, I'm also considering a new truck (it's really just a matter of when), which would of course be a 3/4 or 1 ton. I assumed that if my current truck could do it safely, but was lacking in the power department, than I could make the decision then. 

SpencerPJ said:
Grashly is spot on, AND a new truck, that's a game changer  ::)  Opt for a slightly used as well,  8)  A nice 3/4 ton will pull a 30' nice.  Read up some previous threads on size and issues.  The 1/2 tons just don't do well over 25', others will argue that, but read up and you decide,  There are more factors into pulling a trailer than weight specs alone, wind being one of them.

Thanks! A new(er) truck was on the horizon anyway, but it may just happen sooner than anticipated now.  :)

That size trailer is going to be pushing the limits for a RAM 1500, so make sure you are using the real trailer GVWR as the estimated weight (not dry weight).  I checked the Ram specs and your truck appears to have a two rating of just 6790 lbs if it has the standard 6-speed tranny or 8210 if its the 8-speed. Most 30 ft trailers are at or above that, so check carefully.  Looking at the 2008 Alumilite brochure, it lists the 30QBHS at 10,893 GVWR, far too much for your truck. Even the trailer dry weight (empty and no options installed) is 6407, close to your truck max. I thnk you need to set your sights lower.
https://www.holidayrambler.com/resources/media/user/1471367472_brc_pdf.pdf

https://www.ramtruck.ca/en_dir/pdf/2015/specifications/1500.pdf

I'd suggest renting a Class C for a week. You will learn a lot.

I say class C because they are readily available to rent.

I've pulled trailers with a 1/2 truck and a 3/4 ton truck.  The 3/4 ton trucks are much more stable and safer, especially in an emergency situation.

Koodog said:
If it were me and just my dog I'd be looking at shorter more solid TT's.
25' four season trailer. Shorter trailers allow for more remote locations and state/national campgrounds
Northwoods and Outdoors RV are mfg I'd look at.
I've had outstanding luck in buying used. I have also bought new and came out fine with very little issues.
However I've had many friends buy new and have 1 heck of a time getting serviced and warranty work completed.
I want to use my camper, not have it sitting in some dealers lot. A 2 year warranty on fairly inexpensive appliances is not worth the headache to me, especially when you try to collect.
Also spend lots of time checking out trailer layouts. You'll be surprised on things that look like they would work, but don't. 1 trailer I bought had a front bedroom and access from each side of bed with pocket doors. Looked awesome, but had absolutely no room to change clothes.
Happy shopping.

Koodog, thanks for the advice. Based on what you and others are saying, I think that's the way I'm going to go.  I'd really rather have something a bit smaller and maneuverable that I can pull with my current truck. My dog don't give a damn either way. I've been checking out those brands (Northwoods and ORV) and they seem really well made and highly regarded.  They are not as plentiful on the used market but they're out there. 

Arch Hoagland said:
I've pulled trailers with a 1/2 truck and a 3/4 ton truck.  The 3/4 ton trucks are much more stable and safer, especially in an emergency situation.

Arch, a 3/4 ton is definitely in my future. Without getting too off-topic or starting the diesel vs gas debate, do you think a 3/4 ton gasser will do the trick? I ask because the HP/Torque numbers on the gas engines in the 3/4 and 1 tons aren't too much greater than my 5.7. 

Back
Top Bottom