Preventing mattress Mold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gizmo100

I'm trying to be proactive in preventing the mold issue.

So today I installed what I hope will act as a vapor barrier and slight added insulation on the bed platform. On top of that I installed a layer of Hog Hair Air Filter Material to allow air flow under the mattress.

Here's links to the 2 main components of the projects ( I used Duck Tape to hold down the underlayment)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BVMZLK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.lowes.com/pd/FloorComfort-100-sq-ft-Premium-2mm-Flooring-Underlayment/50402206

1st picture The underlayment
2nd picture The filter fabric
3rd picture No weight on mattress
4th Picture Me laying on the bed- you can see where I'm laying
5th picture putting everything back to normal

Attachments

• 1 vapor barrier s.jpg
    1 vapor barrier s.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 2 filter fabric s.jpg
    2 filter fabric s.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 3 No weight s.jpg
    3 No weight s.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 4 laying on the bed s.jpg
    4 laying on the bed s.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 5 back to normal s.jpg
    5 back to normal s.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 35
I hope your idea works for you. I tried insulation, vapor barrier,all kinds of things. I ended up removing the existing bed platform and rebuilding an open frame under the bed and used expanded aluminum metal on top of the frame. The mattress lays directly on the expanded metal. I have not a a problem since and gained more accessible storage under the bed.

Tom

tc tom said:
I hope your idea works for you. I tried insulation, vapor barrier,all kinds of things. I ended up removing the existing bed platform and rebuilding an open frame under the bed and used expanded aluminum metal on top of the frame. The mattress lays directly on the expanded metal. I have not a a problem since and gained more accessible storage under the bed.

Tom

On the off chance that my idea does not work do you have any pictures of your work?
I found out about moisture problems while researching something else. The only solution I found was a $600 low profile spring system. I felt it was a little pricey.

An awful lot of it depends on the temperatures and humidity where you camp. We had our last TT almost 4 years, and never had a problem though we camped 70-100 days a year. Friends with the exact same unit had real problems with theirs. However we camped mostly in the west with dry air, and our friends lived in the Midwest and camped there and south with lots of humidity. They tamed their problem by insulating the storage bay that was under half of the bed and making sure to keep a vent open in humid weather

We've had only one (of 6) RVs where dampness on the bed platform was a problem, so maybe there isn't anything to be proactive about. The one we did have, however, was a real PITA. Moisture was so bad at times the metal trim parts on the faux headboard rusted!  I found some openings in the storage space under the bed and sealed those up; that helped both moisture and a mouse problem. We still regularly opened the drawers under the bed to air it out and kept the Maxxair vent in the bedroom running as much as possible. Plastic sheet helped the mattress itself, but the entire bed platform and storage area would get damp & musty if not well-ventilated most every day while in cool, damp areas. The biggest problem was when touring Alaska and Western Canada or in mountainous regions.

there is a company that advertises on Ship Shape Tv. that has a large assortment of products to handle all mold and mildew areas.
www.thinkobex.com
they have vids to show how to use their products for maximum effect

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom