Marker lens covers falling off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce M.

We recently purchased a 2014 Class A Winnebago Vista. Short miles and clean. One irritating problem is the running light lens covers have been falling off. Two were missing when I bought it and I've lost 3 more since. The certified RV shop said the lens for the one missing on the front above the windshield is a discontinued item. He found me one on eBay for a premium price. Today I drove it out of this shop 20 miles to my destination and one of the side lens was missing when I arrived. My certified guy is tenured and reputable. Does it make sense these top front markers are a discontinued item? Is this a freakish thing happening to my other lens covers or have others heard of this? I drove a class C for 12 years and never lost one ......We're customizing a little and are hoping to post pictures soon.

Can't say as I've lost a lens but out here the sun eats 'em up.  The baseplates they clip into get brittle over time as well.  By the time they start looking tired I just replace the whole marker assembly.  Often you can find them with the exact same hole placement.  I'd replace the marker with something you can get lenses for before I'd go through extremes to source obsolete lenses or try and keep up with baseplates that shed lenses.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I would get a basic caulk and put a glob under the flaps before inserting them.  Caulk is a good enough adhesive, that is not permanent in nature.  Personally I'd use silicon, but I won't say that word on this forum because everyone hates silicon around RVs.  ::)

SpencerPJ said:
I would get a basic caulk and put a glob under the flaps before inserting them.  Caulk is a good enough adhesive, that is not permanent in nature.  Personally I'd use silicon, but I won't say that word on this forum because everyone hates silicon around RVs.  ::)

SILICON is the cause of Global warming...It wiped out all the dinosaurs...And it's why we can't breath.

Oh wait..That's volcanic ash..Sorry...

.I use a glop of silicon on my lens as well. I had the same problem when we bought our TT.
You may want to remove a lens and look for a part number that you can cross reference on line.
I found ours on amazon for a 1/3 of the price (but I had to buy 6 lens and I only needed 3)

Yes, a drop or two of silicone caulk solves the loose lens problem.  The real fix, however, is to replace the lights. Any auto parts store, truck stop or online source such as Amazon or Ebay will have them, often in multiple styles.

Does it "make sense" the ones you have are discontinued?  Guess it depends on who's senses are involved. Obviously the manufacturer of the lights determined that sales were insufficient to continue production. Maybe sales were poor due to problems such as you are having, i.e. Winnebago stopped buying them?  Marker lights are a commodity product and dozens of competitive brands are available.

I had a similar problem with my Class C.  I found the name of the manufacturer on the base unit and located them on the internet.  A quick phone call and I had new lens covers.

on all the rv's I've owned, I made a point to seal around the marker lights with silicone, not only to keep them from falling off, but to keep moisture out.
These days switching to LEDs would solve both problems.

Jeff in Ferndale Wa said:
on all the rv's I've owned, I made a point to seal around the marker lights with silicone, not only to keep them from falling off, but to keep moisture out.
These days switching to LEDs would solve both problems.

There may be a small drain hole in the bottom. Make sure you don't seal over it.

Back
Top Bottom