Water Leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the pics....The one that leaking,,,,Is leaking from the fitting or from the pipe.

Can you remove the fitting, clean the pipe, inspect for deep scratches and reinstall??

As I said... These are new to me but look like a better option then the gluing process.

It is leaking from the fitting. I made sure when I cut the piece to file the ends to remove any burrs both inside and out. There is a tool you can buy that removes them but I don't know if I can get in there. It really is pissing me off. I am off to buy some tape to wrap it.

mudshark said:
It is leaking from the fitting. I made sure when I cut the piece to file the ends to remove any burrs both inside and out. There is a tool you can buy that removes them but I don't know if I can get in there. It really is pissing me off. I am off to buy some tape to wrap it.

I don't think tapes the answer Jim...I don't know of any tape that would hold long term....But then I didn't know about these fittings

When you inserted the pipe into the fitting, did it go in quite a ways, like maybe 1/2", till it hit bottom?
The tool to remove the fitting looks like the letter "C". You slide it over the pipe then use it to push against the plastic sleeve sticking out of the fitting. You'll have to push pretty hard. What this does is open up the prongs which dig into the pipe to stop the pipe from blowing out under pressure.
I've got the feeling that you didn't push it in far enough to reach the actual seal.

OK Folks!
I think we are at the end of this. I know I pushed the ends in all the way when I assembled everything. After having sat down and thought the whole situation over it was back to Lowe's. I bought some water stopping tape as a last resort. But! I also bought another union and a tool to take these apart. One is the half moon plastic one that Rene T mentioned. They make another that looks like tongs made of steel. I bought that one. I was able to get that tool in there, and with great effort, I was able to break the connection and from there it was easier to get the old union out of there. After checking for burrs on both tubes I fitted the new union into the mix. After sending some silent prayers to the good Lord above I turned the water back on.
It has been an hour now and no leaks. Leave it to me to find the only defective union in the entire store!! I won't let my guard down just yet but I think this nightmare is coming to an end. Now just waiting for the water pump to arrive for the washer and I can put this whole mess to bed!

I want to thank all of you for the help and words of encouragement to get me through this.

mudshark said:
OK Folks!
I think we are at the end of this. I know I pushed the ends in all the way when I assembled everything. After having sat down and thought the whole situation over it was back to Lowe's. I bought some water stopping tape as a last resort. But! I also bought another union and a tool to take these apart. One is the half moon plastic one that Rene T mentioned. They make another that looks like tongs made of steel. I bought that one. I was able to get that tool in there, and with great effort, I was able to break the connection and from there it was easier to get the old union out of there. After checking for burrs on both tubes I fitted the new union into the mix. After sending some silent prayers to the good Lord above I turned the water back on.
It has been an hour now and no leaks. Leave it to me to find the only defective union in the entire store!! I won't let my guard down just yet but I think this nightmare is coming to an end. Now just waiting for the water pump to arrive for the washer and I can put this whole mess to bed!

I want to thank all of you for the help and words of encouragement to get me through this.

:)) :)) :))...I think you have earned a break...And maybe a beer ....It's almost 5

mudshark said:
Thanks Gizmo!!
I am on beer number 3 and still climbing!!

Number 3 ...you didn't do that much ;D ;D Enjoy 1 for me..

You did the right thing!  If it has not leaked yet, you should be good.  I like the Shark Bite because you just slide them on AND they can be removed somewhat easily, at least compared to solder or solvent joints!  :mad:

grashley said:
I would not count on silicone sealing that! 

I will go one farther than Grashley. Silicone will NOT seal a pressure line  THe pressure will blow it off the line and the leak will continue.

But as others have said
When the Shark Bites
Into Pex Dear
Water leaks.. Go away
When the shark bites
Into pex dear
Happy days are here to stay.

Make sure you push the shark bite on ALL the way.. I push it on till it stops then give it a "Bump" with the heal of my hand and it goes about another half inch and done.

Very creative John!!
I love it!! I also love that the leak is fixed!
Thanks to all.

mudshark said:
Very creative John!!
I love it!! I also love that the leak is fixed!
Thanks to all.

Don't start celebrating yet...You still need to replace the pump..

Thanks for reminding me.
The pump is due in today. Then that adventure begins!

mudshark said:
Thanks for reminding me.
The pump is due in today. Then that adventure begins!

My job is to burst bubbles....Your job is to change the pump.. ;D The wife is waiting ;D

You are good at your job!! LOL!!
You are right, my wife has had it with the laundry facilities here. The room is small and not enough washers and dryers for all the snowbirds that have flown in the last couple of weeks.

SharkBite fittings are actually very reliable, when properly employed. When using with PEX, the tubing should be fitted with a stiffening insert. Also they are not recommended for use in systems that will come in contact with glycol. That can lead to deterioration of the coating and eventually the O-ring as well, resulting in a leak. Also don't use where exposed to UV, and don't use any kind of dope or lubricant on them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlm611
Back
Top Bottom