Unoccupied RV Humid Months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rumor is that the song/lyric was supposed to be "In the Garden of Eden" but the lead singer was so drunk all he could manage was "inna gadda divida" and apparently it stuck. Not sure of the validity but it' a cool story.

Edit: spelling

Joezeppy said:
Rumor is that the song/lyric was supposed to be "In the Garden of Eden" but the lead singer was so drunk all he could manage was "inna gadda divida" and apparently is stuck. Not sure of the validity but it' a cool story.

Interesting. Thanks.

Joezeppy said:
Rumor is that the song/lyric was supposed to be "In the Garden of Eden" but the lead singer was so drunk all he could manage was "inna gadda divida" and apparently is stuck. Not sure of the validity but it' a cool story.

That's what I was told also.

Joezeppy said:
Rumor is that the song/lyric was supposed to be "In the Garden of Eden" but the lead singer was so drunk all he could manage was "inna gadda divida" and apparently it stuck. Not sure of the validity but it' a cool story.

Yes this is what was told to me as well that he came out of his room in the morning and told his band mate that he had written this great song and drunkly spewed out the name "inna gadda divida" rather than "In the Garden of Eden" and his band mates cracked up laughing but as stated above the name stuck, such an iconic song.  Thank goodness for drunken morning afters back then or we would never have such a classic today.

Originally I considered "Musha rain dum a doo, dum a da" which is from the band This Lizzy song whisky in the jar.  I am told that after translation from Gaelic basically means "whiskey made a fool of me".  But it was too long of a name so went with Iron Butterfly instead.

Jack - yes i would like to know the name of this stuff as well please.

Rene - TY

Gizmo100 said:
???Why is this here??...It sounds like part of a different thread
I agree, I think it is supposed to be part of another thread about guns.... ::)

I will check it and move it if I can.

Edit.... that thread is now locked so I will remove that post from this thread...

Thanks Rene & Jackie....All is good with the world once gain :)

Rene T said:
Jack, it would be great to get the name of that product. I'm sure many people here would like to try it. Thanks.

We were out paddling our kayaks all day yesterday. I'll tr to get the name from the local RV dealer today or the one that the office carries

Jack L

Rene T said:
Jack, it would be great to get the name of that product. I'm sure many people here would like to try it. Thanks.

It is " NOS-GUARD"  We use the slow release

Jack L

Very interesting!

This product will not reduce humidity in any way, which it does not claim.  After mold or mildew caused by high humidity form, this product will kill the offenders and their odors.  You will still have high humidity.

I agree, looks like good stuff.  Seems like it naturally kills the mold before it could grow.

Quote:  Chlorine dioxide gas destroys all odors, including perfume fragrances, and leaves behind a crisp, clean scent (similar to a swimming pool) that will quickly dissipate with fresh air.

I wonder if an open container of chlorine would produce same results?

jackiemac said:
I'd be reluctant to leave something electrical on unless I was checking it daily. Maybe I'm odd  ;D

Welcome to the forum Bill....

Hey, I'm ODD too. The doctor said it stood for Opposition Defiance Disorder, something to do with having issues with authority figures, but what does he know, silly quack...  ;)

SpencerPJ said:
I agree, looks like good stuff.  Seems like it naturally kills the mold before it could grow.

Quote:  Chlorine dioxide gas destroys all odors, including perfume fragrances, and leaves behind a crisp, clean scent (similar to a swimming pool) that will quickly dissipate with fresh air.

I wonder if an open container of chlorine would produce same results?

Chlorine dioxide, great stuff! Just looking at the MSDS it seems to be capable of killing you any number of ways.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/auto-odor-eliminator-odor-control-clo2-deodorizer

Basically it's an oxidizer, but this group can react with a bunch of different organics to create things like nitrosamines, trihalomethanes, haloamides, and a bunch of other stuff that's considered genotoxic (as in toxic to genetic material) carcinogenic, and generally not good for any living things. Oh, and its dust is combustible and any contact with your skin is considered toxic, so don't let that "EPA Registered" crap fool ya. Everything is EPA registered, it's just that none of it is ever tested, plus they approve everything no matter how toxic it is 'cuz they get paid to do that. Just run the dehumidifier with a hose to daylight.

If you really want to play with potentially deadly oxidizers, ozone is easy. You can get an ozone generator on-line for around $40 that does the same thing. Once their extra oxygen atoms have found enough organics to react with they tend to get used up, not really dissipate as in disappearing, unless you do ventilate. Mold needs food (any carbon containing material), favorable temperature, and humidity. Take one away and it won't grow but it also doesn't just up and die. The oxidizers do in fact kill it, they just need to be handled with care. Not getting a good vibe about sprinkling that crap around on the floor and then sweeping it up. I hope Jackl meant they just take some sort of wrapping off of the packets and then drop the intact packets around on the floor.  :)

Roark said:
Chlorine dioxide, great stuff! Just looking at the MSDS it seems to be capable of killing you any number of ways.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/auto-odor-eliminator-odor-control-clo2-deodorizer

Basically it's an oxidizer, but this group can react with a bunch of different organics to create things like nitrosamines, trihalomethanes, haloamides, and a bunch of other stuff that's considered genotoxic (as in toxic to genetic material) carcinogenic, and generally not good for any living things. Oh, and its dust is combustible and any contact with your skin is considered toxic, so don't let that "EPA Registered" crap fool ya. Everything is EPA registered, it's just that none of it is ever tested, plus they approve everything no matter how toxic it is 'cuz they get paid to do that. Just run the dehumidifier with a hose to daylight.

If you really want to play with potentially deadly oxidizers, ozone is easy. You can get an ozone generator on-line for around $40 that does the same thing. Once their extra oxygen atoms have found enough organics to react with they tend to get used up, not really dissipate as in disappearing, unless you do ventilate. Mold needs food (any carbon containing material), favorable temperature, and humidity. Take one away and it won't grow but it also doesn't just up and die. The oxidizers do in fact kill it, they just need to be handled with care. Not getting a good vibe about sprinkling that crap around on the floor and then sweeping it up. I hope Jackl meant they just take some sort of wrapping off of the packets and then drop the intact packets around on the floor.  :)
Yes the packages are sealed.
You open them and place them on the floor, close the RV up and leave.
When you return you open up the RV and dispose of the containers and let the RV air out for a bit before jumping right in..

We have used it for the past two years and it works great and will continue to use it..

Damp Rid is useless unless you can replace it constantly which would put you in the poor house if your leaving the  place for six months!

Jack L

Interesting topic to me.
We routinely store our MH in spurts...4 weeks to maybe 6 weeks at a time typically.  Lately we've been using it even less unfortunately.
in Florida so it's humid in the summer
In the past, I've always left the roof vents closed.  Shut and locked everything, pull the blinds, and put reflectix shades in the windows.
No problems.  No ventilation.

I'm noticing that this winter we've been having our usual swings from fairly warm to fairly cold spells.  I've noticed that when it's humid inside and cold that I'll have a tenancy to have a bit of dampness and condensation on the kitchen cabinets.....poor insulation and cold surfaces.  I've had this condensation all along.  No sign of any new leaks.  It's only recently that I've had a small issue with mold and musty odors.
So I'm experimenting with leaving my roof vents opened

I figure it this way.... on warm days the air inside expands and slips out of the millions of ways that it can.  In the evening things cool down, the air compresses and draws in humidity form the outside.  The cycle just repeats.  Throw in some really cool times and that moisture condenses.  Anyway... Seems to me that because of this breathing using products like damp rid is a loosing battle.  I found this out when I first owned a popup trailer. I tried damprid in the closed up pup, and it soon became silly how often it would need to be replaced.

For similar reasons I'm not really understanding how the nos-guard as a precautionary treatment would really do any good.  I do have some experience with this stuff though.  It's chlorine dioxide gas, and works very well to kill odors.  I tried some kits sold by Starbrite a couple times...Boat Bomb it was called.  Didn't work well.  probably more suited for gassing small items inside of a bag...not large rooms like an RV.  I did have really good result from this one though recently getting rid of a musty odor.  I set off two in my RV at teh same time and it worked
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U5AP8Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My bigger point is that I doubt if you have to worry much about closing it up for a couple months without special measures....but if you do get some mustiness there are options.

I live in East Texas and leave my TT plugged in all the time, in the summer I leave the A/C on 85, close all the blinds and You should be fine. I've never had any mold or mildew problems in the 5 years I've done this. Be sure to empty the waste tanks because the water in the traps and toilet will evaporate in about a month and it will stink. I've learned this lesson too LoL.

kennyshark said:
I live in East Texas and leave my TT plugged in all the time, in the summer I leave the A/C on 85, close all the blinds and You should be fine. I've never had any mold or mildew problems in the 5 years I've done this. Be sure to empty the waste tanks because the water in the traps and toilet will evaporate in about a month and it will stink. I've learned this lesson too LoL.

Of course!
My post was meant for those snowbirds  that don't leave their RV plugged in for the summer months in a hot humid environment.

Jack L
!

kennyshark said:
Be sure to empty the waste tanks because the water in the traps and toilet will evaporate in about a month and it will stink. I've learned this lesson too LoL.

Good advise, AND if you add a squirt of cooking oil to your traps and toilet, the water will not evaporate.  The oil creates a barrier.

Back
Top Bottom